Taranaki tunnel register

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Manakau.KTM, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    I'll have to post up some pics if the mission is successful, got a mammoth 100 + mile rally the day before with the Vintage Car Club motorcycle section.
    With bugger all suspension its going to be a fun weekend.
    Night Falcon and Manakau.KTM like this.
  2. Voltaire

Oddometer:
    Did a few today on the beemers, new ohlins is far better than 35 year old original. kiwi road was fun. Might do a few tomorrow on rally.
    As weather was good on Friday/Sat and looking wet on Sunday we left Auckland/Whakatane met up in Pio Pio and dropped vehicles off at Motel in NP.
    Rode back to Ahititi and went inland.
    Top left is Uruti Road
    Top right is Moki Road
    bottom ones are Kiwi Road.
    I'd not want to take a 4 wheeler up Kiwi Road but my skills honed on a PX 200 around the mean streets of Auckland worked in my favour.

Attached Files:

3. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you remember which ones are which? They certainly have a similar look and feel.
  4. Voltaire

Oddometer:
    Will do a better write up later.

Altered the posts.
  5. Voltaire

Oddometer:
    Rally today, Tiger 100 is “thrilling” on twisty roads. Exhausted after 200 plus km of road and gravel.
    Taranaki VCC hosted its annual Rubber Ducky late this year due to Covid.
    They get about 50 entries from 94 year old Harley ( ridden from Auckland) to the latest cut off date of 1990.
    Its very old school with printed out tickets, instructions and stopping off at small town halls where the local school usually puts on morning tea.
    Started off at the Top 10 in Strandon/Fitzroy and winded its way to Whangamomona via Stratford which was also hosting its A and P show with several KM tailbacks. Hopefully the cops were not noting down all the rego's as the entire rally other than the sidecars rode down the hard shoulder.
    The road to Whangamomona was dry with light traffic and despite its age the 67 year old Triumph managed over 60 MPH on the straights and handled the corners without any issues.

The Triumph Sprung Hub was developed by Edward Turner as a slip in for his rigid frames.
    It contains over 56 parts and you need a special spring compressor to take it apart. Its the oldest know motorcycle part with a warning cast into it.
    It gives about 2-3 " of travel which I assume is better than the 0" that a rigid has.
    That coupled up with rather slim single acting tele forks makes for an engaging ride.

Arrived at Whanga and had a hand crafted lunch at the hall by the Campground.
    Took the obligatory photo outside the pub. Note sports bikes in photo.
    Asked an old boy on the rally about whether the nearby tunnels were accessible and got the story about catching the train to the town and how they used to ride thru the tunnels in the early 60's..... the ladies doing the lunch said the road was closed and only rideable on a trail bike. We rode up to have a look and decided the Tiger 100 was probably not the right tool for the job.
    Heading back to Stratford we turned right off SH 43 onto Junction Road. Fortunately I looked in my mirror in time as one of said sports bike overtook me just as I was about to turn and the other two had to dive up the inside.
    Its gravel for some distance and it was like being transported back to what it was probably like riding around NZ back in the 50's.
    Last tunnel for the day was on OtaraoaRoad.
    We went back to town and had a Fitzroy Draught ( 2 handles for $10) at the local sports bar.
    Locals thought the Triumph was great but as usual my mate found his BMW invisible.
    Clocked up 120 miles and my back is suffering a day later. I can safely say I wont be doing gravel rides any time soon on the Triumph.
    I don't try to compete on these rallies so was somewhat surprised to win 1st place Post War, got a small trophy for the pool room and 5 litres of Semi Synthetic that I'm sure I can use in something else.
    They have a prize for youngest rider and he was 50, makes you wonder what will happen to these clubs in the future.

A3089FBA-39F3-44A0-93F3-3866E1B5BF12.jpeg 0B2145AD-E9B4-4236-9543-24A3995EEE29.jpeg

Attached Files:

glitch_oz, young1 and Night Falcon like this.
  6. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you duplicated your photos to make it seem like you did more? Or is that some sort of simulated double vision from the Triumph? :rofl
    Voltaire likes this.
  7. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    great photo's....worth repeating repeating
    Voltaire likes this.
  8. Voltaire

Oddometer:
    Vibration impaired hands.
  9. Voltaire

Oddometer:
    Earlier posts updated. I'm glad I took today off as feeling pretty worn out.
    400 KM in two days on two bikes with no incidents so pretty happy with that.
    Next biggie is the bi-annual National Rally in Masterton next March.
    My Mate had fallen in love again with his G/S and says the BSA B whatever will be going on TM.
    I might spend some money on mine too as its just such a great all rounder and will be on $50 a year rego in 3 more years.
    dazzadm, Night Falcon and Box'a'bits like this.
  10. 4Skins

4Skins Johnny to most...

Oddometer:
    Been down the Whanga Road a few times, here's a few of my shots

Brucey Marshall on Wr250 in 2010.
    [​IMG]

There's a massive bog just out the other end of this tunnel that somebody kindly bridged with logs
    [​IMG]

I was on a 990 with my brave wife on the back and panniers. Never again!
    [​IMG]

Andrew entering the other Fonga Road tunnel in 2003
    [​IMG]

Uncle Rog on the Black Bitch
    [​IMG]

And here's another tunnel not on the map. I have no record of where it is other than to say it is on private property somewhere in the Naki.
    This was on one of Brucey's Tunnel Tours
    [​IMG]
    Oaters, BygDaddee, Dave Young and 3 others like this.
  11. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Voltaire and Dave Young like this.