Tarp setup

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by earthroamer, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Bikerboy

Oddometer:
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Got mine there too, but prices are all over the place, you have to fish thru. Add several you like to your cart and pick from that. Mine came in 4 pieces and I cut each piece down to fit in a 17in side case or trunk.

I think I paid 18 bucks for the pair.
  4. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    ok that answers that, I noticed they were like 530mm long, wondering if you guys cut them or if I was looking at the wrong poles.

19-20mm Diameter right?

are they sturdy enough to cinch down tight?
  5. Bikerboy

Oddometer:
  6. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Camping noob here... Just how hard is it to put up a 16' tarp versus a 12' one with 2 tarp poles and some guy lines by yourself?

Seems like a no brainer to get 4 extra feet for $15. I don't mind the minimal pack space and I'm sure it would be nice to have the extra square footage in the rain. But if it's even a little windy is there much difference throwing them up?
  7. BobPS

BobPS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Setting up a tarp is not difficult. I guess, both size will require similar effort.

I only have a 3mx2m (that's 9' x 6') tarp and it's not difficult to pitch at all. But I do not use it as a shelter where I sleep under, I only use it as a porch to sit under and cook.

I do a really simple setup. I used paracord for ridge line and guy out two corners to the ground (or all four corners, depends) and the other two to trekking poles. Or if there are trees nearby just guy out the four corners to the trees not even use a ridge line.

There's a web site with pictures of tarp setup...I don't remember the link. But it has many tarp setup pictures, complete with folding instruction and they're easy to follow too.
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    mine are 20mm and not like the type in the post below yours... If using 4 poles it's about 5'8" in height. If using just three, the tarp (warbonnet superfly) sides are now at the ground so it's like a floorless tent.

9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    It's doable. but much easier with snake skins, and another reason I like my superfly. It's as large as a beer mug in the double ended sack and I tie up one end with the tarp still in the bag. While tieing it up to the trees or poles I'll keep it in the snakeskins until ready to deploy. I'll then pull one side back and stake it, then the other.

Looks like this in the skins.

[​IMG]

10. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I see. Nice setup there. I'm very envious of hammocks. They look stupid comfortable. I wish we had more trees in the desert haha.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I suppose one could make skins for a kelty.... The skins really make if great for packing and especially putting up and taking down in wind.

12. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    why make?
    aren't they like $17 from Hennessy?
    or would they not fit a kelty?
  13. Racerman27410

Racerman27410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Brother has the Kelty 16 and i have the 12.... the 16 is much harder to setup without it getting all over the ground. Just seems much bulkier and harder to manage than the 12..... he now has a kelty 12 and only brings out the 16 when the entire family is going.
  14. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Won't fit...

And they're about 20 bucks from many vendors. Can tget them in mesh as well.

There's a vendor on the hammock forum that can make custom snake skins for whatever tarp. Only cost a few extra bucks over a "regular" set.

If the only reason to use a kelty 12 over a 16 is because of the blowing around and all over the ground, snake skins will cure that. The small opening end of the snake skin is about the size of a quarter. Only the end of the tarp sticking out and the line. The snake skins also come with a little pocket at the ends to store the line.

16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Let us know if the 13mm is stiff enough... I thought that diameter may bend.

17. Gypped

Gypped Backyard Camper

Oddometer:
    As far as the snake skins go, there is a very cheap alternative that I found over on the hammock forums and currently use on my Kelty 12'. Go buy a pack of cheap hair bands (a lot of people mentioned going to a dollar store but I got mine while grocery shopping, I bought a pack of 36 for something like $1.40) and just roll 4-6 over the ridgeline. You treat them exactly the same as snake skins when putting up the tarp: roll the sides up (I just throw the guy lines in a bundle onto the side) and then roll the band down the ridgeline into place.
    JagLite, WDG and CharlieInStLouis like this.
  18. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will do :clap
    Not at all scientific but I'm thinking it should be ok as I tried 8.5mm poles for my Warbonnet Ridgerunner / Superfly going to ground testing and had minimal bending, though NO long term testing. The 13mm poles really are to take away any doubt :D ( oh and it's been at least 5 days since I made an internet impulse buy :imaposer and funnily enough the last purchase was that dpower stove that you put up a link to in the stove thread, you're costing me hard cash maggot :rofl)
    JagLite likes this.
  19. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just read this and thought to myself that a pair of women's stocking may work just as well...:hmmmmm
    JagLite likes this.
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Glad I can help... :D

Nickhob likes this.