Tarp setup

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by earthroamer, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I think that may work, but she's gonna need some pretty long legs.. The snake skins are about 6ft per side. Even if you had it partially contained though, it should work ok.

2. Gypped

Gypped Backyard Camper

Oddometer:
    Would they be long enough? My wife doesn't wear stockings, so that hadn't occurred to me to wonder previously. I do know that people use those plastic loofah things as mesh snake skins though - apparently if you cut the string, they're just a long tube.
  3. Undocumented

Undocumented Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I have read it somewhere on adv, but I can't find it again.
    Where do I find, or how do I cut and treat the ends of Zing-it?
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I cut it and burn it, 2 seconds with a lighter. Or just burn thru it.

Or if you want to get fancy while drinking a few cold ones, can splice it...

[​IMG]

5. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Backsplice, melt it (takes more heat on this stuff), super glue or heat shrink tubing.
  6. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worm, Parcel, & Serve!:rofl
    docm26 likes this.
  7. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    Zing-It, melt ok, super glue ok, Shrink tube it..... won't that leave too much unusable at the end? Or do I say I'm cheap? :)
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    You could do the heat shrink thing 1/2 as long as a shoe lace end, say 1/8".

If melting it, you can pinch the ends and make the end thin. I often like to melt it then touch the end so it's kinda flared.

Man, this is some 3rd world problems we got going on here. :lol3

9. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    I have a Kelty tarp. I would like to add grommets in the midpoints of the sides. Is getting a grommet kit okay, or am I about to trash my tarp?
  10. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    I've added gromments many times to my tarps. Do a test run on a scrap piece of fabric, similar type if possible, until you are comfortable with the process.
  11. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    I've been working with zing it for my tarp. Cutting zing it with a hot knife is great. Two processes at once.

Any one want to trade 50 feet red zing it for yellow?
  12. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pyrate. The question then is my skill vs the material being up to it?
  13. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    Skill, material and overall function are things to consider. It shoudn't be an issue to put more in it. The only difference is the manufacturer typically reinforces the area because they know it will be under tension. If you are adding a couple grommets to help keep it from flapping or for some stability, it shouldn't be an issue. But if it's going to be asked to take as much tension as the original gromments, you might want to think if it can take the stress.
  14. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    You might look at how I did 'grommets' in my build post starting at #556. They're not grommets but eyelets sewn to the tarp with webbing and reinforced patches to double up the fabric. The problem with eyelets is that they will pull out of the fabric - it's just not strong enough around the grommet. On sailboat sails they will double or triple up the fabric around where a grommet will go and then after the grommet is pressed in they sew around the grommet to further bind it to the body fabric. Much like this, called a 'sewn grommet':

[​IMG]

Here's my ridge ends:

[​IMG]

And with it setup to test:

[​IMG]
  15. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    Not the answer I was hoping for. But, excellent. I think I can make for me a stronger solution by having a "washer" on top of my pole at the "loops" than trying to add grommets. Thanks!
  16. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bringing this thread back to life :pope

I've read through this thread and it inspired me to order a Kelty Noah tarp in the 12x12' flavor. I've never used a tarp while camping on a bike and I leave on a multiweek trip next week so I hope learning to set this thing up can be done "on the fly" so to speak :lol3.

I'm mostly just looking for a way to give my tent more weather protection at the entrance with enough room to sit down in a camp chair outside if the weather gets foul. :devildog

It seems like it's either raining and cold or dry and 85+ outside every time I'm in the mountains in May. Either way, the tarp should help make life more comfortable at camp.

-Jake
    Duckworth and JagLite like this.
  17. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a last minute "well, i bought it...may as well take it" moment last year, I took my Noah on a month long trip. You have no idea how happy I was when the very first night I got caught in a major storm. From that day on, I used the tarp nearly every day for the entire trip. I used it to cover the bikes at sketchy hotels and to keep the rain off us and our gear.

I think some reflective tent line and adjustable sliders are a good upgrade to make the tarp faster and easier to set up though.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to hear!

I ordered some carabiner/figure 9 hooks to make setup/takedown go faster. I ordered some orange/reflective paracord to use so I don't tear it all down walking around camp :D.

I figure that even in the worst case scenario where I'm camping without trees near me I can use the tarp as an extended rain fly to increase the size of my vestibule and keep my luggage dry.

-Jake
    Roktman and JagLite like this.
  19. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I am liking the price point of many things from this company, and they just started making tarps!

ShenandoahRider and JagLite like this.
  20. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Use tarps at most campsites....so others know about AliBaba..they are the Amazon of Asia. The vast majority of tarps are made in Vietnam...it is an industry leader in tarp manufacturing. I like Kelty but have several tarps that are or at least function just like Kelty but are about 1/2 the price...and shipping is always free. You have to know what you're looking for, what I look for is durable, shape, weight, rip stop, etc....access for Asian tarps is via AliExpress.com.......do a search for "tarp camping"....shipping is normally about 20 days...but free.
    Treadless and JagLite like this.