Tarp setup

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by earthroamer, Apr 8, 2008.

1. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    Where did you find that deal?

2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just found a new brown Kelty Noah 12 for the same price on Ebay.
    Already had the 9x9,but will be needing extra coverage for an upcoming July trip.
    Have 4 8 foot Kelty poles in like new condition that I have picked up at REI garage sales for nice prices.

JR356
    Scotty P and JagLite like this.
  3. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, great tarp and size. I have the 12 and 2 of the standard polls, and the large adjustable poll, have used it for many years. I can get a nice tilt to the tarp to block the Western sun and shed water faster. Just realized I havnt used it in a few years...I must be getting old.
  4. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup....loved my 12x12 Noah so much that I grabbed a 16x16 when I found one at a give-away price.

Of course, neither is used for one night stands. An extra 20 min. of set up & take down each night/morning doesn't seem worth the benefit. My usual tour these days, however, is to target a place I want to explore, nail down a campsite somewhere near the middle of the area, & plant myself there for a week sr so. That's where a big tarp truly pays for itself. Here in the North East, there are almost always plenty of trees everywhere, so support just involves packing some extra lengths of paracord. I also use 4, one foot long sections of old tent pole with a split tennis ball over the top. Wedge the ball/pole up under the center of the tarp, (tennis ball up, bottom centered on the picnic table). The corners get tied off to trees, & you now have a dry, open air "living room". No bug protection, but on rainy days you can sit, read, cook, & eat, all dry & under cover. (even pee off the far side if there are no neighbors close by) With the 16, there's plenty of walking around room over the table, enough to bring two bikes underneath for maintenance or packing. The tent stays buttoned up & dry all day long.
    JagLite and YJake like this.
  5. condoor

condoor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MountainsportsDOTcom
    They have 9' ones for $39.99 too. I just received it in the mail today - heading out Friday will try and get some pics.
  6. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.
    Lost all my gear not long ago and am slowly replaceing it, some just a stop-gap cheap stuff like the $10 tent from the local hardware. Got a 3 x 4m tarp and some light weight alloy pegs, alloy rope tensioners and am starting to put the kit back together.

In the front yard, made some adjustable 80cm up to 2m light weight alloy poles.

So far it's under $100, without the Kermit chair, that cost more than everything else.

mew, Ropes, pegs, tarp, tent and made adjustable poles, all under $100

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3647.jpg
  7. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    JagLite likes this.
  8. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:

you can tension your rope one handed with those jobbies, wouldn't even have to put your beed down, win win.
  9. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    I used similar items rigging my hooch in the military. Done the Prussick thing and Trucker's Hitch as well.

For some times and places and intentions, I like stuff like this. We had similar devices in the mine rescue teams, but I wouldn't want to have to store and carry those ones, given their size and weight.

At the end of the day, what works for each of us. One thing is sure; most motorcyclists are gear sluts. If something doesn't satisfy them on a ride, or they think there's something better, there will be kit changes.
    Blue Mule, husky390 and JagLite like this.
  10. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:

I need details on how you built the poles....:D
  11. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using a warbonnet tarp with my camp set up. Relying on knots with very little hardware. The truckers hitch and bowline on my most common knots. The trap is good for stealth camping as well

[​IMG]
    JagLite likes this.
  12. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice trap John!
    Did you catch anyone worth keeping?

:D

I like the camo tarps, they really help us blend in and disappear.
    So much better than the dayglow bright orange tents of the past where it screamed out "Look at me! I'm a camper!"

My Kelty Noah tarp isn't camo but it is a nice neutral color to not be obvious.
    I think I will go for the camo tarp next time I buy one does anyone make camo Silnylon tarps?
  13. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    most manufacturers ( cottage) do, but they are typically more expensive... of course.
  14. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

I’m just glad I got all the right letters, even though the order was wrong :clap

That tarp is silnylon here is another view. It’s called the thunder tarp, the ends have small doors.

[​IMG]
    CharlieInStLouis and JagLite like this.
  15. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast

Thunder tarp search took me to truckers tarps. I found ThunderFly. Really like their design, a tad pricey but not stupid. Thanks for posting. :thumb
    JagLite likes this.
  16. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that, wild goose chase Is my norm :norton
    JagLite likes this.
  17. Brun

Brun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some timely 'tarpistry' at the Alpine Rally here in Oz last month, with rain predicted for the final night.

CS CAMP.jpg

It was very pleasant sitting under the tarp in the morning brewing coffee and cooking a hot breakfast with rain pattering on the roof. I really appreciate the luxury of packing almost everything on the bike under cover and knowing that bedding will stay dry and so on. Many of the remaining attendees were seen crawling out of tents in full riding gear (including helmets) to pour their stuff into panniers and ride soggily away.

I carry 3 poles. Two are 2400mm (8') x 16mm (5/8") diameter, six segments, from Aliexpress and cheap as chips. The other pole is 1800mm (6') x 13mm (1/2"), 4 segments. I can usually find sticks to prop up corners as required. The tarp is 3300mm (11') on the ridge line and 3300 (11') wingspan. It's the perfect size for my needs - big enough for a couple of people to be comfortably dry while waiting out a wet day but not so big that it becomes a liability when it's windy. I typically camp in treed areas so the poles are not often required, but it's no bother to pack them and be ready for such situations as this. By the way, the 16mm poles flex quite a lot when it's windy. If it is tensioned properly the tarp will move around but not flap. If I were to do a desert trip I would probably opt for 19mm diameter poles.

Favourite knot for tarpistry is the Taut Line Hitch. Also getting the gig are the clove hitch, bowline and Prussic.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your camping neighbors may find themselves shopping for tarps real soon after seeing how comfortable you were!
    I have seen other bike campers crawling out of their tents with all their gear on too.
    Helmets (mosquitoes), boots, rain gear, saddlebags and all the other stuff that they had to keep in the tent with them because of the rain.
    It must have been real cozy in that tent with all their wet gear from the night before, trying to keep the water from their wet gear off their sleeping bag and other dry gear.

Some riders are real happy with their expensive moto-tents that have a "large" vestibule to keep their gear outside but protected.
    I'm much happier with my "huge" tarp and cheap tent. :rayof

I tell everyone about how much better camping is when you have a roof over your tent. :jkam
    The size of your tent is not important when you can leave your gear outside.
    Yes, it takes time to set up and take down a tarp and I was surprised how long it took me even after doing it day after day. :scratch
    But when it is raining you know it is well worth the time. :beer
    Brun and BluegrassPicker like this.
  19. NeilW

NeilW 2-up Adventure Touring

Oddometer:
    Tarps fascinate me. They seem simple and elegant, yet when I try to set one up, it's neither. Here is a funky pitch, pretty sure I couldn't reproduce it if I tried. I had 2 requirements: head on the up-slope and up-slope side pinned down. When I'm camped in a canyon, I notice that airflow is usually downhill at night. Last time I got it all wrong and made a midnight parachute.

In order to not have the tarp in my face, I was able to pull the center loop up to a tree branch to get some ceiling height and flipped over my A-lite chair to shore up the "wall" near my head.
    I use a pair of foldable/collapsible hiking staffs (16" folded + about 5" of extension). In this case, one at full height and one at half height.
    The tarp is a Paria Sanctuary (8'x10').
    I also have a Kelty Noah 12x12 that is twice the size packed and needs taller poles.

Fortunately, the weather was perfect as in no wind and no rain.

up-slope side
    [​IMG]

View from inside. I park my boots by the pole and front guy line to remind me to not trip over them.
    [​IMG]

Looking in. You can see the A-lite chair on the right.
    [​IMG]

Side angle. Full kitchen setup on the right.
    [​IMG]

I little solar powered lantern for nighttime reading.
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Boondocker
    RJAMT, Brun, JagLite and 1 other person like this.
  20. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    changed around the tarp setup and made a few new things, an old camera tripod has now become three extandble poles from 50cm to 125cm and if i peg the tarp to the ground on the side the wind is coming from should make things work nicely. Still room for my tent under, the bike under and i can stand up and sit out of the weather.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Old camera tripod is now extentable poles from 50cm out to 125cm
    had to rough up the coating so they dont slip down.

IMG_3702.jpg

made some ends and some heat shrink over the end.

IMG_3703.jpg

old setup worked but didnt like a lot of wind but lots of under tarp area to sit, stand and move around.

IMG_3697.jpg

More adjustable poles now and one end of the tarp pegged to the ground, bit more compact and still room to put the tent and bike under and still room to sit and stand under.

IMG_3710.jpg
    Brun and JagLite like this.