1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Tarp setup

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by earthroamer, Apr 8, 2008.

1. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a Thermacell...we used them in Alaska last year...they work great!
    Macho Man2, YJake and JagLite like this.
  2. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am glad I found this thread. I have been thinking about getting a tarp and using it as a big rain fly but now...
    JagLite likes this.
  3. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I like this thread, because I have been thinking about a tarp type setup. I was thinking of using the bike as part of the "anchoring" of the tarp, but rather than hope to have trees nearby to tie onto, I would like to have something like the aluminum tent poles...ones that can be taken down and stowed in a bag. I have also thought about buying a cheap, large tent, and then cutting the bottom out of it, and setting it up like a small "garage" with my sleeping tent opening into it as well...
    JagLite likes this.
  4. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We bought one of the huge 3 room tents for car camping and it is really nice.
    Packed up it is humongous though, and very heavy. :yikes

I can't imagine trying to carry one on a bike. :loco
  5. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that would be way too big. I have two Eureka Midori tents...one for 4 people and one for two. I used the 4-man on the Arctic Circle trip last year and carried it on the Sertao...no problem. I could stand up in it which was nice...better than rolling around in a two-man trying to get pants on. I could maybe adapt a tent like the Midori 4 to act as a "garage"/huge vestibule.
  6. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    midori 4 person tent is listed as 5' peak height, you can stand up in there?
  7. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Sure! I am 5'10", but I can stand up well enough to get my pants on! And I can sit in my camp chair inside too if it is raining, and put up my camp table inside as well!
  8. wobbly one

wobbly one Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Came across this older thread and thought I would add my worthless comments to the collective. I get a few questions about my shelter/tarp/tent so I thought I would post about it here. My setup is called the Kelty Mirada. It is a rainproof shelter, and you can also purchase a clip in tent and footprint for it if you so desire. You can set up just the shelter if that is what you need (my bike will fit in here), then you can quickly clip in a 4-person tent. Nice thing about this arrangement is that your tent is set up in the dry. They say 4-person, but in my world it is a 1-person. I am about 6' and can stand up at the center pole. The overall footprint of this thing is fairly large - about 13' x 13'. Just two poles.
    https://mountainsforeverybody.com/kelty-mirada-tent-review

IMG_0173-1.jpg

IMG_0174-1.jpg
  9. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know where you were able to score that tent system, but I think I want one. Can't find it available anywhere currently. Nice set up for sure.
  10. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I bought it about a year and a half ago off ebay (new) - I got the sense when I bought it that it may not have been a popular tent. A shame it is not available now because it really suits motorcycle camping pretty well - other than the big footprint. At least I don't need to twist up into a pretzel trying to get my old bones into my gear. Packs up fairly small.
    Perhaps give Kelty a shout.

IMG_2331-1.jpg
    mouthfulloflake likes this.
  11. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may contact Kelty, looks like its been discontinued fo quite some time though.
  12. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alaska trip in 2018. My riding buddy under his Kelty tarp as we sat out a storm on the west bank of the Yukon River. After crossing the river on the ferry, we headed west only to be advised by oncoming drivers that the storm ahead was a very bad one with driving rain and hail. Turned back to find a spot in the campground next to the river. We spent a dry rain filled evening under our Kelty 12' Noah's Tarps.

Quick erect method is to use a 50' length of paracord with a clip on one end. Clip around one tree and tie around the other end. Drape tarp and stake out sides. We carried poles to erect system free standing, but most days we had trees to string a ridge line. Super fast with two people and our tents stayed mostly dry for the 16 out of 18 days it rained on our trip.

Nice if it is raining in the morning. Pack up, get dressed in riding gear, and pull down tarp last. Stuff that in a bag and off you go.

IMG_3603 (1).JPG IMG_3544.JPG
    BIG-E, Burro driver, BigEasy and 5 others like this.
  13. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Nice setup worncog. I am a big advocate of travelling with a tarp for that very situation. I carry a 10'x10' Wildventure tarp that does the trick pretty good.
  14. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    True Dat! Spent a week up in the White Mts in N. Hampshire last month. Since we were going to be stationary for 5 days, I brought the 16' Kelty. (only worth the extra set-up if planted for several days). Would be a bear to set up if alone, but with two guys & plenty of trees here in New England, it was a snap...well, maybe a slow snap... 20-30 min. to set up & the same at the end to take down.

It covered the whole picnic table easily, with plenty of walk-around room. Our one day of rain began at about 4:00 AM & lasted all day 'til 4:00 PM. Our tents were set up with the vestibules under the edge of the tarp, so dry exit in the morning rain. Once out, the tents are zipped tight & stay that way until it stops (or bedtime). The tarp provided a dry "room" to cook & eat breakfast & lunch, sit & chat, read, listen to iPhone tunes, & even pee out the back side into the downpour (no neighbors on that side) Neither one of us had to even put on rain gear all day. There was still room to get one (or both) of the bikes under the tarp for maintenance or packing, if we had to leave that day. It actually was one of the best days of the trip, relaxing & recovering from a series of multi-hundred mile days.

The best part is that the tents stayed zipped up tight & dry. Every time you enter & exit a tent in the rain, a few drops migrate inside, no matter how careful you are. That night, your clothes & bedding are damp & clammy, even if the tent is tight & leak free. With the tarp providing a dry "living room" to spend the day, our tents were both dry & cozy, even after 12 straight hours of steady downpour.
    BigEasy and wobbly one like this.
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 16' Kelty and it is the first thing put up and the last thing taken down.
    I keep my tent and all my gear dry underneath it and often roll my bike under it too.
    Yes, it adds time to set up and take down but in rain it is well worth it to me. :jkam

Using the tarp means everything stays dry, the only thing wet that I pack is the tarp itself.
    After the first setup I never used the Kelty tarp bag for the tarp again though.
    What an absolute pain to carefully fold the tarp exactly right to fit it into that bag. :baldy :becca

I use a round stuff sack and I push the middle of the tarp in first, then just keep stuffing it in.
    The four corners with the cords attached go in last so they are the first things out next time.
    I pull out one of the corners and fasten the cord to something then pull the tarp out as I walk to the diagonal opposite corner.
    Once the tarp is spread out I attach that diagonal cord to something then pull the other two corners out.
    That's when I see if I need to move one or both of the tied corners so that the tarp will end up where I want it.

Fasten all corners first, then I lift it onto my poles or run a ridge line under it.
    I can do it all working UNDER the tarp if it is raining hard, both to set it up and to take it down.
    When camping and riding in an often wet area like Alaska I think the tarp is a necessity. :beer
    dobby, worncog, WDG and 1 other person like this.
  16. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Smart system JagLite - well done. :bubba
    JagLite likes this.
  17. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:
    I felt the same way and then I realized there was no need to fold the tarp up, just stuff it into the OEM bag; once about half of the tarp is in the bag, I zip it about 75% and stuff the remainder. Takes about 1 minute.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought this quality slightly used tarp years ago on Kijiji... at a good price too. I'm assuming it was made in Quebec. Quality plastic grommets with a lot of stitching. Great for pointy sticks.

[​IMG]
    JagLite likes this.