Tarp setup

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by earthroamer, Apr 8, 2008.

1. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a Thermacell...we used them in Alaska last year...they work great!
    Macho Man2, YJake and JagLite like this.
  2. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am glad I found this thread. I have been thinking about getting a tarp and using it as a big rain fly but now...
    JagLite likes this.
  3. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I like this thread, because I have been thinking about a tarp type setup. I was thinking of using the bike as part of the "anchoring" of the tarp, but rather than hope to have trees nearby to tie onto, I would like to have something like the aluminum tent poles...ones that can be taken down and stowed in a bag. I have also thought about buying a cheap, large tent, and then cutting the bottom out of it, and setting it up like a small "garage" with my sleeping tent opening into it as well...
    JagLite likes this.
  4. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We bought one of the huge 3 room tents for car camping and it is really nice.
    Packed up it is humongous though, and very heavy. :yikes

I can't imagine trying to carry one on a bike. :loco
  5. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that would be way too big. I have two Eureka Midori tents...one for 4 people and one for two. I used the 4-man on the Arctic Circle trip last year and carried it on the Sertao...no problem. I could stand up in it which was nice...better than rolling around in a two-man trying to get pants on. I could maybe adapt a tent like the Midori 4 to act as a "garage"/huge vestibule.
  6. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    midori 4 person tent is listed as 5' peak height, you can stand up in there?
  7. gzrglyde

Oddometer:
    Sure! I am 5'10", but I can stand up well enough to get my pants on! And I can sit in my camp chair inside too if it is raining, and put up my camp table inside as well!