1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tasmanian Riders Hub

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DonQx, Apr 4, 2007.

1. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Looks like Nev’s ?
    Windy Rider likes this.
  2. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Probably a final drive....:lol3
    glitch_oz likes this.
  3. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    More like a box full of KTM fuel pumps and 790 thermostats and pipes. That'll keep 'em supplied for say....a week:-).
    Windy Rider and BygDaddee like this.
  4. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    Looks like a busy night on the spirit tonight. With people new buying bikes.
    Windy Rider likes this.
  5. Windy Rider

Windy Rider Live to Ride!

Oddometer:
    It was Nevs
    jeff taswelder likes this.
  6. MirthfulThylacinator

MirthfulThylacinator Tinker

Oddometer:
    ... this has become my fav hub when I want to explore the north eastern or midland areas in Tassie ... Darren & Louise really know how to make guests more than welcome... I've come back here again today, heading over to St. Helens tomorrow morning for the start of St2St.

a2zworks likes this.
  7. MirthfulThylacinator

Oddometer:
  8. MirthfulThylacinator

Oddometer:
  9. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy %$#@....$73 a night for a cot? Outta my reach, that is....

Another tried+ trusted option in the North-East is the Branxholm Pub (Imperial Hotel) ...
    ...at less than half the $$$ !!
    .....with cold beer and meals/brecky within a flight of stairs.

[​IMG]

Awesome location for exploring the north-eastern gems (and Gosh, there's a MOUNTAIN! )

For only some of those, flip through these pages...
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6450&page=5
    Phil_Fong, Weldr and numbat like this.
  10. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plus one on the Branxholm pub, a few funny nights spent there.
  11. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    Bit quiet in here. 2 months since the last post.

Can I inspire some conversation by asking lots of questions?

3 of us are looking at a jaunt over to the apple isle, for about a week / 10 days, and probably about 12 months away.
    We will be on 400/500cc enduro bikes and will be looking to do day trips out of some sort of half comfortable accomodation rather than carry gear or relying on support vehicles.
    So yes, we are more trail riders than Adv, but we are more interested in going somewhere interesting than pushing bikes up hills.

So something similar to our recent jaunt in the Vic High Country:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/australia-day-trips-dargo-licola.1420975/

Having been born and bred in Burnie and living there for 20 years I am aware that we will see bugger all in a week so I wanted to concentrate on 2 main areas, West Coast and North East.

West Coast:
    1. Thinking of basing ourselves at Arthur River and doing Sandy Cape. I have done it twice before but the last time was close to 30 years ago. I beleive you need a permit for that area now?
    2. Also would like to get further south across the Pieman and into Granville and Trail Harbour but thinking that may be better tackled out of Zeehan.
    3. Kelly Basin - went in there when I was about 5 or 6. We rode a fair way on Abt railway then walked what seemed like a hundred miles. Is it possible to ride in there or is it dirt road and walking track only
    now?
    Also went to Crotty a couple of times but its probably a bit damp underfoot now.

North East:
    I've never ridden on dirt up that way. Been through the Sidling on a road bike a few times though.
    Only picked this area as I have heard there is lots of good riding, and one of the tour companies base themselves there.

So, as for route planning, the West coast should be pretty easy to join up recomended tracks and places and lead ourselves.
    The North East though might reqiure a bit more local guidance. We could either wander around in circles ourselves and not see much more than dirt roads, or get maximum bang for buck and join a Dirttrax tour.

Anyway, appreciate any input, comments, advice, abuse etc.

Photo of me and my brother, Abt railway, 1979, Honda TL250:
    1979 Abt Railway.jpg
  12. gordonmichaellee

gordonmichaellee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pm sent!
  13. DonQx

DonQx Slow & enjoying it

Oddometer:

Moaning.

Just back from a few days away.

Your style not so much what I do, but a few thoughts ...

Sandy Cape Track info here ... https://parks.tas.gov.au/explore-our-parks/arthur-pieman-conservation-area/sandy-cape-track ... yes permit, but easy to get.

Granville & Trail Harbour ... track: https://parks.tas.gov.au/things-to-do/four-wheel-driving-(4wd)/climies-track ... could do it based from Corinna or from Zeehan ... I'd certainly take in the Western Explorer to get there from Arthur River

Kelly Basin Track ... doesn't go all the way any more ... https://parks.tas.gov.au/things-to-do/60-great-short-walks/kelly-basin ...

North East ... lots of Forestry type roads up there

May be worth your while to get hold of a copy of the 4WD Tracks in Tas ... http://www.roving.com.au ... a good starting point for lots of things

Have fun planning

:-) dq.
    OzRider64 and glitch_oz like this.
  14. MirthfulThylacinator

Oddometer:
    +1 on western explorer :)

... we did the western explorer as part of ST2ST in October, had been recently graded, potholes filled, new top layer ... some of it quite slippery (squalls & heavy rain)
  15. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    East coast,mt Stronach near Scottsdale is worth a ride up,a loop near pioneer and mt Cameron is interesting,my Paris dam near derby.....trails everywhere through the east coast popping out on a road now and then.

West coast add mt Cleveland near luina,boco sidling to the pieman Rd..... plenty in ever direction
  16. Chrispy3334

Chrispy3334 n00b

Oddometer:
    Any Adv riders Nth/Nth West Tas
  17. Rocking Horse

Rocking Horse Self funded bludger

Oddometer:
  18. DonQx

DonQx Slow & enjoying it

Oddometer:
    Bushcamp Escape Mon 15 - Thurs 18 June :-) … anyone interested?

Am planning a 2 or 3 niter, to finally get out again and wake up in a tent in nice places.

It’ll involve bush camps with camp fires.

Plan at the moment is to head North East from Hobart, to explore gravel roads for a cycling trip later in the year. Could be changed tho, weather dependent.

Did a quick route in Google for a bit of an idea, screenshot attached, link: https://goo.gl/maps/EZMBfQz9WaeiCQYG8.

The Google route isn’t quite right, especially around the Lakes Tooms/Leake areas and closer to Mt William National Park/Eddystone Point.

Most of the gravel roads along the way are fairly good quality, touring & naked bikes should be fine. If anyone was keen on an escape but not so happy about too much gravel we could also change the route a bit, and/or agree on overnite spots for catching up and camping together. I’m a cruisy/trundly rider, a bit of a plodder really.

Newcomers to this sort of trip welcome, happy to help with advice, maybe also some gear.

Looking forward to it :-) !

2020-06-04 06_31_15-.jpg

97414927_3265287016855489_4955280932501192704_n.jpg
    glitch_oz and a2zworks like this.
  19. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I was any closer I'd be over this like a rash.
    I'll pop a link to this post on AT, maybe Tiger-Dave and Robbie are interested.

JUST in case and JUST if it works out....if you haven't been up Mt. Horror, it's well worth the in+out for the views across the whole north-east corner and across to the Furneaux Islands.
    Around the Winaleah/Derby/Branxholm area.....and your route runs pretty close anyway.
    Quick map of the "re-route" out and back into your route, Branxholm-Pioneer. https://bit.ly/2U8fKDW
    Takes about an extra 1.5hr at a guess, on a clear day you really want to spend a bit of time up there.
    All easy gravel, one ~100m steep bit with some loose gravel on top near the end, can get pretty blowy when popping out of the trees to the bare top and firetower.

More pics from an overcast morning ride up there http://www.austouring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72950&postcount=32
    Stumpy Bay/ Cray Creek etc Camp areas and other Mt. William NP stuff a few posts later, same thread.
    Have fun, lots of awesome stuff around the North-East...

[​IMG]
    BygDaddee likes this.
  20. DonQx

DonQx Slow & enjoying it

Oddometer:
    Morning Pete,

Nice to hear from you :-)

Thx for passing info on & for suggestions.

Me off to a Freycinet camp today for 3 nites with a bunch of bikers who also walk/cycle/kayak.

:-) dq.