Tat 2012 q&a

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Phreaky Phil, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen a trip report of the new TN section?
  2. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from the western tat plus part of the CDT. Northern Nevada is pretty hard to follow via the GPS map we had. Someone has been putting pink ribbons and the turns so they helped a little. The route in N Nevada is all effed but and we had some cross country riding to get around fences. We could see lots of tracks from other people on the Tat that had to do the same.

Its not on the map anymore but we did Hancock pass going up and down tomichi. Rocky as hell.

Black dragon wash was hard and it had just rained. I got a hole in my radiator after that and missed eagle canyon The guys I was with said that was the hardest part of the whole trip.
  3. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
  4. Rockdodger

Rockdodger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We'll be getting to Tellico Plains tomorrow to begin the TAT on 9/8. Rode the TET-S tracks from Savannah, GA....so far, so good. That's a great route intothenew (and others) put together. I can't imagine the effort it takes to string that all together....it's hard enough to follow all the turns, much less plan it and lay it out. We got quite the nice tour of Georgia and South Carolina. Excellent job, guys!
  5. Giddy Up

Giddy Up Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer:
    It looks like you have already left on your trip, however for general knowledge about canisters. I have the same fuel canister. I saw them available in Moab at the camping store near the grocery store and Walmart carries them in the Coleman version. Not the Coleman pictured. They make one like the top three.
  6. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I already left for my trip and am done (bad crash in Utah, ER visit and u-haul back home).:cry My partner looks like he might finish tomorrow.

I saw those fuel canisters where I expected them; towns with backpacking type stores (Salida, Ouray and Moab). I was concerned about finding any west of Moab.

Note to others: There was a significant detour due to road construction about 20-30 miles before Moab that cut out Sand Flats Rd. Didn't look like they were going to be done anytime soon and there was no way to pick up the road other than to ride the pavement into Moab and backtrack. Note that Sand Flat Rd is worth doing as this is the road that goes thru the Slickrock Area.

FYI, if you happen to come upon the detour in the evening or on a weekend and were adventurous you would likely be able to get thru. Not that I would know from personal experience. :wink:

Bonus stop: If on Sand Flats Rd, take in the view from this overlook: http://goo.gl/maps/hsT8H Its a very short detour and there's a small, hard to see sign for it labelled "Castle Valley Overlook". Doesn't look like much from Google maps but it's worth it.

Good luck to the rest of the TAT Class of 2012. :freaky
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So where did you crash and what happened to you and the bike? Were you riding alone?
  8. JLAW3000

JLAW3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We just finished doing Colorado and Utah last week, its already getting pretty cold in the high country around here. Got snow above 12,000ft two days ago in southern Colorado. Get out here quick if you plan on camping (it's gonna be cold) and be sure to have appropriate gear to ride the passes mid-late September. Plan on seeing some snow :wink: !

8-10in reported here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825984

We ran in to the closed section of Road mentioned above in Moab right after you pass over the La Sals, not a huge detour but a bummer to miss as it's good riding up there (better than the highway into town anyway).

Have fun!
  9. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did CO end of Aug and it was already cold at night. 39 one night.
  10. Backlash

Backlash Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had 36 degrees in Salida last night--frost on the bike cover. A bit of snow going over Marshall Pass. Had to go to a restaurant a couple doors down from the Super 8 to borrow a butter knife to reach in and pull the choke on. Not very good access on a 2013 KTM 500EXC with 5.3 gallon Acerbus tank to pull the choke on and push it off. I don't have a screw driver long enough. They said keep the knife so I am set. From Tellico Plains the weather has been great except across some of Oklahoma and yesterday. Looks good from here to Port Orford. I didn't know there was this many gravel roads.
  11. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    Oregon can be plenty cold too!!!
  12. WERA456

WERA456 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North Ga. (The site of the first major gold rush)
    The only place I really got cold was oregan camping. It gets pretty cold there at night. We saw snow on the north face of one pass, can't remember the name right now. That was in late July.
  13. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bump, planning to do the trail next year. I see lots of people complaining about deep sand. Otherwise, I don't see much that is difficult on the trail. At this point, there will be three of us on 650 thumpers. All three are experienced woods riders. Are there loops that we should hit in Colorado or other areas that have more single track?
  14. n2o2diver

n2o2diver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When are you leaving? I'm starting August 9th in Tellico Plains.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have not figured that out yet. Probably August some time.
  16. BDRichmond

BDRichmond Adv'er

Oddometer:
    I'm planning for a TAT run next summer and getting the bike ready (XR650L). One of the last things I need for the bike is a bigger tank and I'm trying to figure out what size to get. I'd like to get the smallest size for ergonomic and weight reasons but I don't want to run out of gas, of course. For those who have done it before , what is the longest range between gas stops during the TAT? Thanks,

BD
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    When I ran it a few years ago, the longest distance was the last section in Ok to CO. It was a bit over 200 miles. I would not have made it on anything less than the Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank.
    I've owned the IMS and Clarke tanks in the past, the Acerbis tanks are better quality.