Tat 2012 q&a

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Phreaky Phil, Jan 9, 2012.

1. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do you guys plan to do for oil changes? I was thinking of either carrying a spare filter with me or buying the scott stainless steel filters that can be cleaned, I figure when I replace the rear tire, I'd have the oil changed by the same person. Anyone else think of something different?
  2. Rex Nemo

Rex Nemo horizon calling

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Did Alaska last year, taking a Jimmy Lewis course next month, and am TAT dreamin'. Those high Colorado passes and deep eroded Utah canyons are sounding mighty fine.
  3. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of carrying a spare oil filter for my DR. I should only require one change. As you were thinking, will probably do it when getting tires changed.
  4. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking I'll just pick up a couple qts of motorcycle oil at an auto parts store, drain the oil, including the filter reservoir, and call it good. Pack a small funnel and scrounge up a old gallon milk jug. Most of the auto parts store will accept used oil for recycling, try to do this when I change my rear tire.
  5. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Battle Mountain Nv. Is a motorcycle repair shop. He will let you work on your own bike just buy your supplies from him. I forget the name. Right across the street from Donnas brothel. That I remember! lol.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
  6. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recommended as well ?? :rofl:rofl
  7. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Lol. Definitley not! Battle Mountain ho's. Can you just imagine? lol

8. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    Oil changes are easy to do, motorcycle oil is easy to find if not choosey about brand. Mobil One 20w50 is easy to find. Amsoil not so easy to find. I changed oil four times on the trip (Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reiley's, etc). Guess it worked out to every 1,500 miles. I used a stainless filter, plus brought a couple of extra o-rings (don't forget the oil filter has one too). I'd pull the stainless filter 1st and spray it down with brake cleaner ( it evaporates quickly, better than carb cleaner), set it out in the sun, then proceed to drain the frame, engine and crankcase. Buy the time the drain plugs were back in place the oil filter was dry and ready to install. I never bought a funnel as I could usually use a some advertisement papers rolled into a funnel.

Donna's- I've been told if needing a little release it's best to go early as you don't want ones that have already been warmed up for you.:kat
  9. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Lol! hell when we were there in the shop working on our bikes (tires and air filters and oil) they were actually advertising on the radio ! The owner said they were aimed at the truckers. And TAT riders lol
    "Stop and Donnas Brothel where dinner and conversation comes without obligation"
    Seriously! lol

10. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The brake cleaner was a great tip,but how did you get rid of the spent oil?
  11. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Still working on my plans when I reach the west coast. I guess I figured Id ship the DRZ back to Florida and fly back. But after hearing what a couple inmates paid to have their bike crated and shipped, and the ticket home, I got to thinking about just riding the bike back (after tires and maintenance obviously). But it would be a long trip on a DRZ whether I used the Interstate or just secondary roads. Then I started thinking about renting a pickup or van 1-way... I'm assuming that it's a possibility? I'll need to get back, but I could find the time to make the drive. Anybody thought about this. It would be a lot simpler if I could just win Powerball :D
  12. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    If you're lucky the auto parts store will have something to use about a 50% chance of that. If not buy a gallon of water and cut the top off and use it as a catch pan.

BTW- since changing the oil take the time to look over things for loose fasteners or unusual wear. It's good to look over the bike every coupe of days for bad clutch cable, fasteners, chain, sprockets, spokes, oil/water leaks, etc....
  13. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Most of the auto parts stores will take used oil for recycling. You'd just need a container to get it from the parking lot, or wherever you drained it, into the store to put into the tank.
  14. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I've found the auto parts stores very helpful. Only one place asked that I change oil around back and expressed a little concern about spilled oil. But not stressed too much. If you change oil just make sure to clean up!!! Don't want to ruin it for others.

I don't carry the excess brake cleaner when done. I usually just give it away to someone at the store.
  15. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was just working on this today. Here's the shipping company I called and got a quote from :http://www.funtransport.com/
    The cost to ship my bike from Sa Claria CA to Rhode Island was $656-yea ha! I'm planning on riding to San Francisco from OR to fly out of San Francisco International Airport. A family member in the airlines asked around and here's what was suggested for me: To fly back to the East coast I should fly out of either Portland,OR,or SanFrancisco,CA. I've never been to CA so I'm heading south:D It was also suggested to go online 24-48 hours before you'd like to fly home and buy your ticket,and here's why. There airlines have seats available that were not paid for that become available about a day just before the flights. He looked up a flight from San Fran to Prov for the next day and wa-la $450-$550 so I guess he's right.
    I figure I'd rather spend the $1200-1400 to ship and fly back so I can spend a few extra days riding in CO & Utah. My wife & I are going to one of those promotional things to get a2 free round trip tickets,so if we get them she'll fly out to meet me in CA and all for the bubble.:clap
  16. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess rear tires will last about half way. If I remember right people often change in Utah. Do the bike shops along the way keep stocks of tires or do you need to pre order them. ?
  17. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah that make sense. I'll check out that company as well. When are you planning to start?
  18. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I think Ill start out with Pirelli Scorpion MT90's and ship a rear D606 to eastern CO. I have a friend here in FL that has different family members in Colorado, one of them lives right near the TAT. I may go ahead and ship a front also, even though I think the MT90 front would make it all the way. I can always ship it back if I don't use it.
  19. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't count on a bike shop having the tire you want. It's best to contact one and have then get them for you. Moab Power Spots in Utah is a friendly shop and easy to work with.
  20. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the TAT in two separate rides. East backwards from NM and then the west. Both times we just turned around and took paved roads home.

The second time for the west we took the time to plan an interesting ride home and it was a much better ride. So I would recommend planning a good ride home. We only had to do about 1500 miles each time. We rode ~500 miles days on KLRs.