Tat 2012 q&a

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Phreaky Phil, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been reading here about how and why from others, so here is my take.
    My bike uses an oil filter that is available from any parts store, did a cross-reference thru the interweb.
    I will be running a K&N filter with an oiled foam prefilter, I made them.
    Tires will most likely be Heidi's decent tread design and long life as a rule.
    My plan is to ride to Colorado , not neccessarily on the direct route, Interesting looking side trips will be included. Then come home, and later in the year.....maybe sept, oct, return to Co with the bike on the trailer and ride the rest of the trail, then I only have to ride back to Co to the truck.
    Still open for any new ideas...........:ear
  2. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've decided to leave either Aug 17th or the 23rd. I know it will be hot those first 2 weeks,but I want to get to CO around the 1st week of Sept. and finish by the end of Sept. I figured I'd spend some extra time in CO &UT.
  3. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like will be be a week ahead of you. I'll leave some skid marks to follow. :evil
  4. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Curious on what people will use for navigation? I'm using Sam's maps and am highlighting them on DeLorme maps,and the Road& Recreation maps. I'll mail the atlas' back as I go. I also plan to use the roll charts,and will be buying a Garmin Montana,and try to figure out how to create the route in that.My gps skills are nill.
    I want to carry the DeLorme maps because they show state parks and other camping areas that may be a little ways off the tat route. I also want a detailed view if I need to reroute or change my route for any reason. I might just copy the pages I really need to save weight & space,just haven't decided yet.
  5. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    We intend to use Sams roll charts. We do a few route sheet rides here in NZ and I quite like the "challenge" of following them. Dawn can see the rollcharts over my shoulder and can remind me of turns if I get "busy" I have an ICO trip meter that ive had for years and will hook that up as well. They are great as you can back them up or down in tenths so if the ICO is out compared to the route sheets you can keep adjusting it at each turn so the error doesnt compound to much. We will also be using GPS. That should be useful for re-routes if nothing else. I have a Zumo 550 and will get the North America maps for that. I think I will get this on the DVD format, as you get the Mapsource software with that. I may have a go at making the routes on that. I'm hoping we will have space for our little laptop.
  6. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    Try getting a refurbished netbook. Smaller and lighter and still can use it as a backup for GPS maps of the TAT. It's gonna take you quite a while to input all the turns into the GPS...quite a while!!! I was glad to send some of the roll charts home when finished w/ them.....more space. Also pack it on the tail and not a side bag, as onthe tail it's less likely to get damaged.

I hope you get the new Nevada Roll charts, mine were the old version and quite simply sucked!!! I used the GPS as a back up to the roll charts, as there will be some places which the navigation is confusing and it's good to have both.
  7. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Using the roll charts to navigatte by will be a major hassle in some areas. And will cost you a lot of time. Take the time and effort to convert the route into gps format. Youll enjoy the trip much better with little to no backtracking and anxiety on weahter you are going the right way. Make a wrong turn and you will, and your odo will be off the mark.
    Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what kind of bike you are riding. But K&N filters are a notoriously bad choice for KLRs. They clog up much faster and much worse that the stock one. I and others have learned this the hard way. I had one on the western TAT and in eastern NV it clogged to the point where the bike would not run. My stock one gets very dirty, but it has never caused the bike to not run. But I carry a spare or two anyway and swap out at about 1000 miles.

+1 on the GPS. And after much experimentation I have found that navigating using tracks works better for me than using routes and waypoints.

You can create routes from waypoints created from the roll chart info. Then you can convert the routes to tracks using a freeware software package called WinGDB3. (Google it to find out where to get it from.) I still load the routes and waypoints onto my GPS but rely on tracks for navigation.
  9. Clockwatcher

Oddometer:
    I will be riding a Transalp, been riding them for years. I am comfortable with a TA and have done research to find the maintenance items that will work.:wink:
  10. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This one has really got me thinking. I just changed my first tire by hand today,and well to be honest I stink at it. Yea, I read threads on it,and watched youtube videos on it,but I know it will be many more tires before I get the hang of it. I can't help but wonder if something like a Mousse set up,or even the Tubeless system would make my life easier out on the TAT.
    I will be riding at highway speeds from R.I. to TN so I believe that eliminates the Mousse,but I wonder about the Tubeless.Sure would be a lot easier to plug a flat rather then have to take a tube out. Has anyone considered using any of these options?
  11. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I ran 4 mil and 3 mil HD tubes front and rear respectively. Don't run with thin oem tubes. The extra's were standard thickness.

Tubliss isn't the holy grail of tires like some would have you believe. imo. If the tire gets a nail in the sidewall then your back to running tubes (can't plug a sidewall). If the inner liner is compromised, then you're back to tubes!!! What do you need to carry for repairs???? Extra inner liners of two sizes which don't pack down small, plus extra inner bladders??? Plus tubes. Holes in sidewalls can be fixed with tubes, and not with tubliss.

Advantage of tubliss, low tire pressure w/o worries of pinch flats, quick repairs IF tire can be plugged and inner liner and bladder aren't damaged. Possibly quick repair if tire can be plugged. Also need to carry high pressure hand pump.

If tubliss bladder needs to be changed then it's more difficult to do the tire change. Also $99/ wheel and replacement bladders not readily available.

Tube, less spares to be carried, two extra tubes and patch kit. Downside if you flat then tube must be pulled and patched, not necessary to pull tire off rim.

Which ever you choose, learn to change a tire with the tools carried. This is a must.

Here's some discussion and here
  12. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the tubeliss. If you get a straight forward nail type puncture then tubiliss is ok. Slash a sidewall then tubeliss is no good. Saw 2 1200 GS BMW's in Alaska with slashed sidewalls on the Dalton highway. No spare tubes. Big trouble :cry With a tube tire you can put a new tube in and cut a piece of the old tube to sleeve around the new tube where the hole in the sidewall is.
    As for changing tires by hand is just practice, but there are some tips and techniques. The main thing is to make sure you dont pinch the new tube when levering the tire on. When I put the new tube in I will pump a couple of psi into it before levering the tire on. Just enough to make it inflate. This keeps it out of the edges of the wheel well and less likely to be pinched by the levers. And never crank the levers right over when levering the tire on. This is when the levers will pinch the tube. Levers with a little notch on the end are good as they stay on the lip of the rim.
    For practice, go out to the shed each night and take the tire off and put it back on. I practiced it for Enduro racing. Got it down to an acceptable 6min.
  13. Tidsy

Tidsy n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there Phil how can you say we have that orange disease when the beast is black.:evil So the rest of you guys are worried about Phil and Dawn two up on the 650 how about two up on a 990. Cheers A
  14. Clockwatcher

Oddometer:
    After reading all the chatter about tubes and flats , I am courious about the tireballs products and if anyone has any experience with them....good or bad.
    Honestly this appears to be the ideal product for travel. With a puncture only one looses air, pull the nail out and keep going.
    The down side seems to be with the complexity of replacing a tire.
    I have never used tireballs, just trying to get some experienced input.:deal
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Changing a tire the first few times or not having done in a while is frustrating. I normally do 4-6 a year. I hadn't pinched a tube in about 3 years and recently pinched 3 tubes doing the same tire. The problem was I had gotten lazy and wasn't looking and feeling to make sure I wasn't pinching the tube for each bite in the final bead install.

I just finished a 700 mile trip in southern NM where we ended up with 4 flat tires due to running over mesquite bush branches with ~2" long thorns. So my tire changing ability has gone way back up.

If you have the time and an old tube, I would recommend just practicing doing it several times just before you start your trip. The number one most important thing is to make sure the bead opposite to where you are working is down in the center well. It is virtually impossible to get a bead all the way on otherwise.

I just had a friend teach me that putting some liquid on the beads really helps them set properly when you air up the tire.
  16. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    It may be black but it still has an Orange Heart :nod
  17. Giddy Up

Giddy Up Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer:
    Subscribed:deal

Edit: from CO
  18. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will you be riding from CO to OR? At what time in the fall are you leaving?
  19. Giddy Up

Giddy Up Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer:
    Late August / early September, Denver to Oregon on the TAT, then slab back to Denver. Maybe through Idaho and Wyoming? Anyone know any good slab routes from OR to CO. We only have about two weeks. . .
  20. Giddy Up

Giddy Up Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer:
    Is it worth bringing my packable fly rod and a small box of flies for some evening entertainment? There may not be any fishable water. I have not gotten the maps from Sam, yet.