Tat 2012 q&a

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Phreaky Phil, Jan 9, 2012.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode pavement from Oregon to NM. I did a bit of research. Here are the highlights off the top of my head. South on US 1 thru redwood forest, then over mountains to Redding. Then down to Lake Tahoe along west side, Then down to Lee Vining CA. Then over to Tonapah NV. Then Warm Springs, Rachel, Caliente NV, Cedar City Utah. Over mountains and down to Kanab. You would probably want to stay north somewhere along in here to get to CO.
  2. Giddy Up

Giddy Up Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea to head south on US 1. Surprised, we have not thought about that route. How many days was it from OR to NM?
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's see - again off the top of my head. Spent first night in Redding, second night in June Lake CA, third in Caliente NV (short day), fourth in Farmington NM (long day), then got home to Abq around noon.

(We had planned to spend a night in Lee Vining. We did noth realize this was a gateway to Yosimite. It was a weekend and there were only a few motels and they were full. A woman at one made arrangements for us to stay in June Lake which is a neat resort lake community maybe 15 away.

I have the track of our route home if you would like it.
  4. Giddy Up

Giddy Up Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer:
    Thank you. No need for the route. After Caliente, that would puts us on a good course back to Denver. June Lake sounds nice.
  5. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    When riding the CDT I used Filter Skins. A thin nylon cover that goes over the foam filter. Three of them take very little space compared to a spare filter. When it gets dirty just through it away at a gas stop. You can make your own very cheap by using nylon stockings. I'm sure you doofs can get a hold a those somewhere. :evil
  6. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    NEW maps NEW routes

I heard in another thread that there was a new route through TN so I bought the maps and the route has been changed hopefully to add some more non-paved riding.

Where the old route starts in Jellico at the north border of the state and enters MS near Boliver, TN, the new route starts near Tellico Plains at the south of the state and enters MS near Corinth, MS. The two routes don't use any of the same roads and never cross. I am going to ride them as a loop in March or April connecting them with a path through Knoxville (unavoidable) and Cades Cove in the Smokies.

Sam told me that all of the states had been updated but I don't know to what extent. I only bought the TN map. Presumably there is a new Oregon route since it seems that the old one has been unpassable as long as I have been reading the reports. Also, the Colorado maps I bought last year only used the big bike bypass routes and cut out the high passes.
  7. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mini Trail - Please post up how that TN loop ride is. I'd be interested since I have the old maps and live nearby (somewhat).
  8. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I plan on riding the "new" TN section sometime this year, as it's kind of in my back yard. Anxious to see where it's routed. I wonder if Sam included 81 and 82 near Tellico.
  9. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    It looks like this:
    Red is the old track about 600 miles. Green is the new track about 400 miles. Yellow is a preliminary track I have connecting them. Someone who rides the area is looking over my yellow trail to try to improve it.

[​IMG]

If anyone has a copywrite problem with the image I will pull it.
  10. TNJOE

TNJOE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mini Trail, I also live in West TN and was hoping to ride the TN TAT this spring. Let me know if you have any interest in allowing someone else to tag along.
  11. Giddy Up

Giddy Up Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer:
    Wife approved
    Job approved
    Family coming into to town to help with baby sitting
    It's on the calendar and we leave on August 18 from Denver headed for Oregon and back.
    :clap
    I am stoked. Who else is excited for the TAT this year?
  12. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
    I am stoked. Who else is excited for the TAT this year?[/QUOTE]ME ME ME ME ME ME ME :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  13. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just confirmed with Sam today that the new eastern end of the TAT is in Tellico Plains, TN.

TN and MS are both all new routes.

I'll be building an extension from Tellico Plains over to my TET-S and from TET-S (the SL side) over to Savanna, GA in the next couple of months.

That way those who want to go coast to coast can still do so easily.

The extensions that IntoTheNew built to Jellico will still be available.

Since TET-S is about to be consolidated into one file with TET, when the consolidated file is released you'll get BOTH extensions..... so, you can start anywhere along the east coast (using TET and TET-S) and get to either start of the TAT.

Have fun folks!
  14. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    It's a shame to see the EPIC slick creeks gone. :cry
  15. too old for dirt

too old for dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the slick water crossings. They cost me a right and left side KLR fairing! $500 :evil
  16. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might be a couple of new one's ! Who will be first to find them :evil
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Hopefully me! :D
  18. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey all you guys doing the TAT this year; when you do your report, please link to em from here. It will keep us watching this thread from missing your report. THANKS! :D
  19. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    WOW part of the trail goes close to my land! COOL! (northern Chicamaugua Creek area).
  20. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    What cell phone networks have the best coverage along the TAT. We will bring our cell phones with us but get US Sim cards as its incredibly expensive to use our New Zealand phones on International roaming.