Tat 2012 q&a

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Phreaky Phil, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Aug. 14th Flight to Denver, picking up bikes that are being shipped to buddys house in Boulder. Entire TAT has been converted to Tracks ( finally done ) I have 26 days to do it, so I can see as much of the area as possible. Are butler maps or some other map good to bring with me in case of a re route or see whats around me in case I need or want to go a different direction.
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I imagine Butler maps are excellent. I often use GTR maps for finding bailout routes. There is one foldup map per state. They show lots of minor roads, but not the most primitive ones. They have crude color-coded topo info.

I bought a bunch for the west online for about $3-4 ea.
  3. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to finish the ride that Intothenew and I started in 2010, we made it to Moab then. In July ARogers518 and I are haulin' back to Moab in hopes of riding the TAT to the Oregon coast.
    Question; Does the TAT thru Oregon still follow the maps from 2009? There seemed to be plenty of confusion a couple of years ago because of road closures and the like. Has the route changed? If so, does Sam have updated maps?
    Thanks, Mike
  4. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Yes, the route has changed and Sam has updated the maps/roll chart and they are in digital color form. They are available form him for

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#999966><TBODY><TR><TD height=35 vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=center align=left>[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]- [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]TAT[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] : [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Oregon[/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]6[/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]549-miles[/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]yes[/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]100%[/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]$44.00[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

All State TAT maps/roll charts are now digitally procesed in color; GPS coordinates imprinted, etc with the exception of the State of Tennessee which is still in the old format but has GPS coordinates. The TAT trailhead now starts in Tellico Plains, TN. Although one can still do Jellico, TN with the old maps if so desired. Have yet heard from any Ride Reports that the "new" trailhead has more gravel?? Anyone chime in??

cheers....
  5. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Just pulled this from GPS tracks East:

Witt Road is actually the "new" trail head from Sam's map/roll charts of the Eastern TAT ..>>>>>.. going WEST. This is the beginning of the Eastern section at Tellico Plains, TN.

Duh!!........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me likey likey !!

Cheers............
  6. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Duh! I wondered about that.....

My southward connector to the TET-S from Tellico Plains goes down Witt Road.... which is now the first section of the TAT!

Whoops!

In my defense, there are only so many roads around there that are suitable.....

No biggie, just a funny coincidence....
  7. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Did you do your Homework....?

[​IMG]
  8. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I did my homework.... the only way for me to know where the new TAT TN route goes is to buy it... (I already have the old TAT maps) and it came out after I had mapped out the extension (an extension in that direction has been in the works for some time... the other guys loop around Georgia goes that way).

I haven't had a chance to get over to see Sam to look at the new charts... and that posting is the first that I've seen that mentions that the TAT now goes down Witt road.

From the map you posted, it looks like I go a different way south of Witt road.

Again, no biggie.
  9. opjocephus

opjocephus Dick Tree

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of weeks ago, I had Chip send me an updated TET and TET-S file. Is the connector from Jellico to Tellico Plains in this file? I am not seeing it. Thanks!
  10. GaelicDog

GaelicDog Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer:

Just FYI: From Tellico Plains you can go south to Chatsworth, GA using mostly forest service roads during the summer months. If you want to throw in a few black top back roads you can actually go to SUCHES to the South East or to Rydal, Ga due south (just north of Cartersville.
  11. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:

From the old to the New TAT is only 100+-) miles

[​IMG]

Cheers...
  12. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    TET-S R4 with the extensions to Tellico Plains has only been shipping for a week or so.

Older versions of the files - R3 - do not contain the extensions to the new start of the TAT (Tellico Plains).

There are also updates all around TET-S and SL in the R4 file.

And yes, I used mostly Forest Service roads down to northeast of Chatsworth, GA where it connects back into my TET-S.

There is also a connector from Tellico Plains eastward over to just north of Nantahala Lake where it also ties into TET-S.
  13. Giddy Up

Giddy Up Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer:
    Nice. We will be 4 days behind you from Denver. We only have 14 days, so we may catch up to you?
  14. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    We arrive in Knoxville August 12th. All being well will get the bike the next day so may start TAT 14th or 15th :D
    Getting bike ready to ship. It will leave in 2-3 weeks
  15. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm sure you will, we plan on seeing the area. We will be on WR250R's
  16. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been working on putting theTAT route onto GPS from my route sheets and maps. I have found that a lot of the roads on Sams paper maps aren't on the the Garmin North America maps ? It looks as though it will be impossible to make an accurate gps route from the Garmin maps. For all the States up to Nevada nearly all the roads are on there, with the exception of Black Dragon Wash and similar places.
    Anyone else found this ?
  17. lm002e

lm002e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have the Garmin topo maps? You may have better luck with those.
  18. Callahan

Callahan Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is why it is the TAT.
    Not the Trans Amerca Road.

Develop Tracks for your GPS not Routes, i.e. Direct Routing not Auto Routing and probably turn off the, auto re-route function.
  19. opium89

opium89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used the TOPO 24 maps for both Tennessee and Colorado, nothing is missing so far.
  20. chipbl

chipbl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't even need Garmin, look for some free ones at http://gpsfiledepot.com/