Tat 2012 q&a

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Phreaky Phil, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Got all of Sam's old and new Map roads onto Mapsource and BaseCamp without any difficulty. Did you tweak the map scale a bit...to match Sam's scale?

Cheers...
  2. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    just put in the GPS coordinates and use the roll charts to double check points when needed. Some areas you will just have to manually connect the dots instead of letting the GPS do it. Nevada TAT maps now have coordinates. You will run into areas which are difficult to figure out where to turn. For me NV had some difficulties, but I had no GPS coordinates. Oregon even with the coordinates there were some places where navigating was a challenge. Also Black Dragon, it was kind of hard to tell if we were actually in the right spot, turns out we were.

There were three of us and usually figured it out..unless the guys listened to me...
  3. Hoologan

Hoologan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Sweet! A few of us are leaving Sacramento on 8/18 in a Uhaul truck and heading to WY. Starting in Rock Springs, WY, doing part of the Shadow of the Rockies trail until in converges with the TAT. We'll be right behind you. :)

I'll be on an XR650R, Parx400 will have his Epic Dakar and we have a DR350. So far...
  4. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am curious if folks from the east coast that do the entire trail ride their bikes back or ship them somehow. From what I have read it takes about 5 weeks to do the entire trail, I would prob have to do it in 4 weeks and that wouldn't leave time for riding back east.
    I know the roll charts are laid out east-west but it seems like it would be logistically easier to chip the bik to the west coast and then ride it home via the TAT.
  5. young guns

young guns n00b

Oddometer:
    My daughters and I are thru ridding the TAT now. We left Tellico Plains Aug 24. We should hit port orford around the 22nd of this month. We planned our day/hotels before leaving. It has worked great for us. I would be happy to share any of our experiences you would like.
  6. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you posting from the future? :eek1
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode the TAT west to east from New Mexico several years ago with no problems. One of the guys had transferred the roll chart info to GPS routes and then tracks. This made it easy. When navigating with tracks, direction is immaterial. With routes, you just have to reverse them.
  8. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur

How much is it costing you for the U-haul truck ? And what size is it? :ear
  9. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have downloaded a couple of these to try and am experimenting with the best way to create a route on them. Being topo maps you cant autoroute on them but I can create a route using waypoints and while it just draws a straight line between them it will give me a point on each corner and an idea of direction.
  10. WERA456

WERA456 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North Ga. (The site of the first major gold rush)
    I am on the trail now in east ms. I was planning to get tires in co but it looks like I may have to get them early. How hard is the trail up to Branson co? Can I do it on a worn out tkc80. If not anyone want to post a good place to get tires 21 17 rear in AR that would help
    Thanks
  11. Hoologan

Hoologan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know, we aren't that far yet :)
  12. WERA456

WERA456 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North Ga. (The site of the first major gold rush)
    Well I mad it to Trinidad. Taking a few days off to play with friends outside of Denver. Will get back on the trail on the 24th. Anyone want to ride any parts let me know
  13. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    any forest fires in your area?
  14. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Hey Phil and other future TATers,

Yesterday (June 27), BigWan and I rode Black Dragon Wash, Eagle Canyon and Cat Canyon - I thought you guys might enjoy a little update on current conditions.
    We were 2up on a KTM 990, but with no camping gear.

For the folks who have the maps/charts but who haven't done the TAT - I believe Sam's roll chart for this day goes from Moab, UT to Richfield, UT. We only did the part from Green River, UT to Salina, UT.

Leaving Green River, we got onto I-70 instead of dealing with the mess near the old Dump road/underpass/railroad tracks (not sure if the current roll charts have this section, but it’s on the charts from 2009). Instead we took the exit for Hwy 6 and then caught the trail there.

Black Dragon Wash was great - still the usual mix of deep sand and big rocks.
    Here’s the entrance, before the petroglyphs.

[​IMG]

This section was pretty crazy, but I think we were off trail and just in the wash.
    It was hard to tell what was what in some areas.

[​IMG]

Overall, the BDW section was super rideable and went really fast. We made great time between Green River and Swasey Cabin.

Eagle Canyon was also in nice shape. Very silty, but the trail is pretty well defined at the moment.
    A heavy rain (which the area desperately needs) will change all of that, but right now it’s easy to see a distinct trail - at least until you get past the I-70 bridges.

This was one of the rockier sections in the wash (after the bridges):

[​IMG]

The climb out of the canyon was a bit more chewed up than it was in 2010. Seems like there were more rock steps exposed.
    It’s still a blast, though. Good stuff.

Cat Canyon, on the other hand, was tougher than we remembered.
    We rode almost all of it 2up (I only walked about 1/8 of a mile), but it wasn’t easy.
    Here's where I started hiking - the deepest section of beach sand:

[​IMG]

The 2 sections of beach sand were the same, but the sections leading up to the beach sand, and the sections immediately following, were more challenging this time than they were in 2009.

Lots of rock steps leading down into devil’s canyon, and several sections of deep silt.
    The wash section going out of the canyon was brutal. It was thick and deep - a mix of fine gravel and sand - with endless switchback turns. Very slow going.
    The rest of the ride (to salina) was no problem. Sections of silt, but mostly easy gravel.
    Temps were warm - mid to high 90s down in the canyons. Bring lots of water.

A little advice, especially for the 2up couples or anyone on a heavy, loaded big bike -
    BDW and Eagle Canyon are highlights of the TAT - definitely do them if you can.
    However, if you get out of Eagle Canyon and you feel worked (or if it's late in the day), don't go into Cat Canyon.
    The deep sand and deep silt are draining, especially late in the day.
    We've been 2up riding a lot of sand/silt lately (death valley, nevada desert, etc), so we felt prepared for it - and it was still exhausting.
    Unless you can camp on the trail and start off fresh the next morning, you probably don't want to enter the canyon if you're tired.

We have GoPro footage of BDW, eagle canyon and cat canyon. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait 'til we're back home (august).
    The internet here can barely handle uploading a few photos. There's no way it can do video.

Oh yeah, in case anyone is interested - I left a ADV safety cone in Eagle Canyon - under the bridges.

[​IMG]

Take a look at the trees.

[​IMG]

GPS waypoint:

[​IMG]

If anyone goes cone hunting - I'll be doing a ride report later, so post up and let me know you found it!

Anyway, hope everyone has fun out on the trail. Looking forward to reading your TAT ride reports :D
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I remember that rock!! :launch

Good to read you, hang on tight. :dllama
  16. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    Tanks for the report LittleWan, we will be there in September and have been looking forward to that part of the trip. Ya'll have fun and be careful out there!!
  17. Honkey Cat

Oddometer:
    Thanks also, I'll be heading thru there in August.
  18. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its the 10 foot truck and I got it at budget. its about 515 for the one way trip.
  19. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading out the last two weeks of AUG. Here is our map.

[​IMG]
  20. Honkey Cat

Oddometer:
    we will be heading out of bolder, colorado august 15th to do the tat west, might see ya on the trail.