TAT 2018 - Honda Grom Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by victay, Jun 29, 2018.

1. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    2 Groms in a Box

3 Weeks ago we packed our bikes in a box , said Bon Voyage to our little buddies and sent them on their way to the US of A. According to the interwebs, our box of bikes is currently about ¾ of the way to San Fran. We will be seeing them again in New York City at the beginning of August.
    Bike location.png
    We are doing the TAT, the full TAT and nuthin’ but the TAT .. well maybe just a bit more on both ends actually and a few little side trips to make it a bit more of a complete coast to coast Trans America experience, but its mostly just the TAT.

The grand plan is to start in NY, head over to the MABDR and follow it to Damascus where we will pick up the TAT. When we finish up with the TAT in Port Orford, we will cruise down the coast to LA. It’s going to be an epic 12000 km (sorry 7,500 ish miles). Oh and just to make it a little bit different and far more epic, we are doing it on our trusty little 125cc Adventure Groms.
    OverviewMap.png
    Watch out USA, we are coming to ride all over you.

V
  2. RandyG

RandyG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your report! I'm close to Deals Gap, I'll be on the lookout for a couple adventure groms!
    Night_Wolf and victay like this.
  3. jkav

jkav n00b

Oddometer:
    In!
  4. NevBlu

NevBlu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your trip will be amazing but on Groms, what the heck ... I have never even seen one. Getting over the western mountains could be one of many highlights. Good luck. The TAT could be on my bucket list too.
    victay likes this.
  5. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. endoquest

endoquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just looked up a "Grom", you guys have balls. If you get this far, I'm in Oregon not far off your path. I WILL buy you beer on the left coast.
    Night_Wolf and victay like this.
  7. Sleepyc

Sleepyc We can't stop here, THIS IS BAT COUNTRY!

Oddometer:
    A Grom with knobbies and some decent suspension is the perfect bike. No fear of falling over, as you can easily pick the bike up. Flat foot over anything and get 100 MPG the whole time. Grom touring will become more popular, especially with the new monkey bikes coming from Honda.
    I'll be eyeballing. My group of morons will be doing the MABDR on inappropriate bikes this September...

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.26.04 PM.png
  8. larryboy

larryboy Super.

Oddometer:
    Like this?

the2014tokyomotorcycleshow-34.JPG

Show us the bikes!!

JaySwear, drbuzzard, FJ Fun and 18 others like this.
  9. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Go you good things!!.... this will be interesting. Can you post some links to your SI videos so the good peeps of the US of A know whats about to descend upon them???
    victay likes this.
  10. Hakatan

Hakatan quality > quantity

Oddometer:
    Heck yeah! Sounds like a great adventure. I’ll keep an eye out for you in the second half of August as I ride my ‘big’ 250 from Colorado to Oregon.

What’s your luggage setup?
  11. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Those Grom Adventure models are bitchin.
    larryboy likes this.
  12. chudzikb

chudzikb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonder what you will be down to horsepower wise in altitude? 5? It's not called adventure for nothing! Best of luck.
    SRTie4k, bike and Night_Wolf like this.
  13. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Stuff and Things

We (V and Sim) have another 4 weeks or so of agonizing waiting before we pick up our bikes in NY. We thought we might post a few things about pre trip preparation in the meantime. Who doesn’t love a good packing list right? It’s nice to keep a record of stuff somewhere. Sim will set up a website and of course there is always Facebook, but ADVRider is where we have always stopped off first for ride reports in the past, so we are hoping to post plenty of updates here.

There are heaps of reasons not to be doing this trip on tiny bikes and many more reasons not to be shipping our own tiny bikes across the ocean to do this trip on. We won’t bore you with reasons about why we decided to do this. Surely the answer is obvious? They are our Honda Groms!

Here are the bikes. They are 2016 Honda Groms. Fun fact. These are the only 2 SF models in the whole of New Zealand. Turns out small bikes don’t sell so well down here. Honda brought a few of the original model groms in and then gave up on them. After begging Honda to bring in two of the new models, we had to buy them from Australia and ship them to NZ ourselves. After this trip, these little bikes will have been on more sea cruises than us.
    His n Hers Adventure Groms.jpg

The bikes have had their suspension upgraded, but other than that everything else is just the usual farkles. Gel seat, heated grips etc… We had hoped to have knobbies fitted before we left but alas USPS screwed us over and ‘lost’ our tires. We have two new sets sitting waiting for us at a friends in NY which we will need to get fitted before we get on the road on the 1st of August. If anyone can recommend a good place in NY in that area to get tires fitted, please pipe up. We are thinking of trying NY Honda Yamaha.

Oh and here is a cheeky and slightly NSFW gif Sim put together and somehow managed to convince me would be a good idea to post
    BikeSpin900px_cool.gif
  14. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pardon my ignorance but what does TAT stand for
  15. PlznMySoul

PlznMySoul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3... This is going to be GOOD!

I'm in...

16. Cobra5150

Cobra5150 What? Where?

Oddometer:
    Trans American Trail
  17. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Its the Trans America Trail. A route across America that links up as much back country and dirt roads as possible.
    Night_Wolf and JB2 like this.
  18. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is gonna be good. :lurk
  19. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    haha - fantastic - in!
  20. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds cool.....I'm planning a cross country trip late August or early September I'll now have to research the TAT and see if I can incorporate it into my trip.
    Sleepyc likes this.