TAT 2018 - Honda Grom Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by victay, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I have a small 143 cc Big Bore Kit that I'm hoping will help me keep some speed on the hills. I'm not looking for a "rocket ship" just a bit more power for hills & yes wind, as we get plenty of that in Southern Alberta (flip transport trucks type of wind!!!)
    victay likes this.
  2. dtaski

dtaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride on and be safe !
    simi.d likes this.
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Saw an article on the Grom Reaper today, thought of you guys out on the trail.

[​IMG]
    Bob, dano619 and JagLite like this.
  4. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    DAY 21 - Tuesday 21 August

335 km (208 miles) - Ponca City OK to Buffalo OK

Wow what a day. After yesterdays fast gravel, we thought we would be in for more of the same. If you think Oklahoma is boring, you need to ride it on a grom.

We got off to a leisurely start this morning and once back on the TAT pootled along. Good gravel, cool temperatures, lots of wind farms and oil rigs to look at. It was very much straight roads with 90 degree turns here and there. One stretch of road called Noble road or maybe Indian road was 52km in a straight line followed by a quick zig zag onto another road for another 47km. Simon had been looking forward to this section since we printed the whole TAT route and stuck it on our living room wall.

[​IMG]
    Pic - drill baby drill

[​IMG]
    Pic - windmills are pretty

[​IMG]
    Pic - heading west

[​IMG]
    Pic - screenshot from the gps app

A few km into Noble/Indian Road we came across a TAT sign and stopped for a quick chat with the local farmers. They have pulled many a TAT rider out of the mud. From here on the road surface changed to hard packed dirt, the kind that turns into the famous mud. Thankfully it had dried out since the recent rains. Well mostly dried out. There were the occasional muddy puddles in the middle of the road, one of which was hiding very cunningly behind a blind rise, ready to jump out and surprise an unsuspecting rider that was going a bit too fast ie me.

Simon says my rear was wobbling all over the place. It happened so fast, I don't even know what happened myself exactly, but I remained up right throughout. After that close call I had to get off the bike and take breather, giggling all the while like a mad woman.

[​IMG]
    Pic - one of the muddy puddles. Not the one I pooed myself on. This on I just got stuck in

We took it a bit slow after that, and the roads from there onwards were a mix of dirt, occasional mud puddles, deeply rutted dry dirt and partially graded dirt. It took a lot of concentration to negotiate our way to Alva and stay out of the grom wheel size ruts. It was fun but tiring.

[​IMG]
    Pic - these ruts were ok

After Alva, the road conditions and the scenery changed again. We got into more rolling hills, cows and sand. Horrible horrible sand. Turns out groms do not like sand at all and neither do their riders. It was fine sandy stuff that would chop and change between a thin layer on the hard pack to deeper stuff. There was a lot of screaming and swearing, it was slow going but we both made it through. A LOT of close calls but no actuall offs. When the horrible sandy stuff ended, we were able to actually look around and enjoy the scenery more.

[​IMG]
    Pic - this stuff sucks

We had honestly thought these straight sections of OK would be boring and easy enough that we would want to put an audio book on or podcast and just power through. It has been nothing like that so far. The roads have been varied and challenging, the scenery varied and quite pretty. We never got bored once

We arrived in Buffalo which looks a bit bleak to put it politely. Not much accomodation options, the local motel looked abandoned, but we found a nice little guest house type inn conveniently located across the road from a car wash, a pizzaria and the post office where our shock should hopefully arrive at tomorrow.
  5. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    FYI I am in Vietnam right now and I went to the Honda dealer and a new grom here only costs $2300. It’s called an MSX I think but is the same bike. They also have modern Honda cubs that are fuel injected. Pretty cool to transplant that engine into an old ct90
  6. bdaughtry

bdaughtry Engineer - Explorer

Oddometer:
    I think the new Honda Monkey 125 would make for a good TAT adventure ...
    TM1(SS), drbuzzard, jwc and 1 other person like this.
  7. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    Buffalo has a marker for TAT. ...Somewhere

My favorite part is out that way
    Rolling hills etc etc
    Cowboy Cemetery in the middle of nowhere .
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  8. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Buffalo caters to the Grain Harvester crowd. A lot of homes have a cottage out back for rent. I stayed in a converted utility building with King bed, shower and kitchen.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  9. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    I think we passed it already :( I vaguely remember passing a cemetary on the route, but we have passes a LOT of little cemetaries along the route from New York
  10. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    This is the one
    Screenshot_20180822-073328_Google.jpg
  11. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Yeah its only the US where i think the model is officially a grom, everywhere else in the world it is a MSX and our model is a MSX125SF. The SF stands for Street Fighter which makes it very clear it is a street bike.
    Honda Grom is a much better name though
  12. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Ok, I just read the article 27hp engine. Holey cow!!! We want one.... No we want 2!
  13. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Called the GROM in Canada too :hide Great report so far :ricky
    victay likes this.
  14. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Should we stay or should we go?
    Shock is on. Thank you Ken.

Its been thunderstorming all morning.[​IMG]
    yehaaa6 likes this.
  15. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding that far, on those bikes is "thrilling" enough. Don't put the work "dangerous" in there too.

just wait it out a day. Live longer, hurt less.

NOTHING gets better in the rain. (well, except the green grass hills)
  16. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

GO! :D

Great report Kiwis ............... stay safe and thanks for posting.

Holler if for some reason you get to northwest CO.
    We'll get you some "proper biscuits". :lol3

RD
    bowyer2002 likes this.
  17. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    We have decided to stay. Drink tea, watch crap tv and finish off these yummy swedish fish. Yum. Definately buying more of these guys.
    [​IMG]
  18. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ummm... let's see.. it's raining outside... and you're warm and comfy inside after traveling for quite a while... and all you can think of to do is watch cartoons?

you guys have been married too long. :hmmmmm:fpalm
    TM1(SS), FJ Fun, ChadADV and 8 others like this.
  19. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
  20. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    In Texas those oil "drills" (pumps actually) are commonly referred to as 'donkeys'.

Also of interest is that the slow turning tips of those windmills can reach 180mph !
    JagLite and victay like this.