TAT 2018 - Honda Grom Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by victay, Jun 29, 2018.

1. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    would require a new engine, unless they have another forward cylinder 300 single somewhere. The Rebel 300 wouldn't fit that frame. Sounds like a cool possibility, but unsure about the probability of it. tp
  2. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    My old HD 350 Sprint had a horizontal 350cc engine, but it wouldn't fit in anything close to the size of a Grom frame.
  3. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Aramicci built some good engines back in the day, but agree, would never shoehorn into that frame. tp
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  4. givitsum

givitsum Scottish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Deffo a great Adventure by two well-sorted Kiwis --- interesting to see what can be done with what is a great lil basic bike. My missus and I have our two - four years old Groms sharing the shed outback with a 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 - a 1994 Honda ST1100 Pan European - a 650 Suzuki V-strom and a Honda CRF250 Rally and they all get along just fine. I bought my black Grom so I could rideout on equal terms with m'lady on her red one - an inexperienced rider on a Grom is hardly a match for a Pan ridden by a guy with 65 years of riding motorbikes under his wheels no matter how steady he tries to ride the heavyweight.

My favourite of the six bikes is the 250 Rally - with the suspension sorted she is a joy to ride and the ideal tool for the western isles where we live. The Grom has it's place too - it's a nifty little thing and almost impossible to fall off although my missus will prove me wrong on that score. I can't really see the need for a bigger motor in the Grom as Honda have it almost right as it is. A few more BHP from the same motor would ofcourse be useful without increasing the weight and there are plenty after-market offerings out there to make it happen but as yet I don't feel the need to go down that road.

MX125 at Carrick.jpg

Probably not Mr Honda's intended market but it's just the bike for a 77 years old 6ft 1ins x 100kgs guy -- cheers - Don
    JagLite, oldbeer, i4bikes and 7 others like this.
  5. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Episode 1 is now up. NY to Damascus via the MABDR. Enjoy :)
    c-zulu, ProLeisure, derek242 and 27 others like this.
  6. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Great footage of the MABDR. I'm hoping to get on it in late summer or early fall this year. Getting to see parts that weren't on the BDR videos is encouraging.

Can't wait for your next installment.
    victay and simi.d like this.
  7. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this. She compared it to an episode of Top Gear/Grand Tour, which is high praise in our house. She was also quite excited to see our garage. We give it 5 Stars!

The soil in our garden is too rocky for grave digging. Way too much work.
    thewbee, scridercoach, simi.d and 2 others like this.
  8. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Excellent!
    victay likes this.
  9. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Episode 2. We actually start the TAT in this one.
    mathdl, c-zulu, derek242 and 24 others like this.
  10. GHO100

GHO100 Goerge

Oddometer:
    Well done! Did you actually have a saw on you?
    victay likes this.
  11. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Yup... one of these... never got to use it and that is probably a good thing. One of 2 pieces of kit we didn't actually use :-)

chain.jpg
  12. GHO100

GHO100 Goerge

Oddometer:
    Nice! I have looked at those, but ultimately decided a Sven saw was better, or just a folding saw.

What was the other piece of kit?
    Night_Wolf and simi.d like this.
  13. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Nice video!
    simi.d and victay like this.
  14. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    I just spent the weekend teaching a riding class, it was hot, sultry and long. On the way home I was wondering if there would be another installment today. So now I sit back in the AC, a cool drink and shall enjoy the fruits of your labor.

***10 minutes later***
    Enjoy I did!!! Fantastic. This installment is in all the areas I go to at least twice a year from my residence. However, I haven't done any TAT yet, so getting to see it from a first-person perspective is awesome.

I'm so enjoying your videos. Thank you so, so much for putting your time and effort into doing this and sharing it with all of us. You two are amazing!
    JagLite, simi.d and victay like this.
  15. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great videos! Very well put together. What editing software are you using. Really stellar!
    JagLite, simi.d and victay like this.
  16. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    We had spare dry bags.. for extra storage. I think Vicki was planning on buying a pile of souvenirs, but we ended up with just a T-shirt each, priceless memories and a mountain of video.
  17. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir. I've been playing around with Adobe Premiere for around 20 years. It's a little hobby of mine :) If you are looking for a brilliant free option I can recommend DaVinci Resolve.
    JagLite and klaviator like this.
  18. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loved the report and am loving the vids.

My apologies if I missed this somewhere but what app did you use for navigation? I’m assuming something that worked with Sams .gpx files? Doing the tat this fall and don’t really want to buy a gps just for that purpose.
    simi.d likes this.
  19. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    We used OSMAnd+. Works on Apple / Android, but better on Android. One great feature was the ability to navigate along a GPX (rather than roads), and we were also able to have the background (open street map) maps for the entire trip stored offline. I did some cleanup on Sam's GPX files and joined all the states into one VERY long track so that we knew how far to the end :) Also added additional GPX files for alternates / options / POI's / chainage / campsites / fuel stops etc etc. With this and a bit of Google maps (it was rare that we didn't have coverage), navigation was pretty easy... just as long as we weren't having too much fun and missing turns!

I'm sure there are other / better options, but we enjoy OSMAnd. All the best for your ride this fall!
    cateyetech, 78er, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  20. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!! Downloaded DR15 and am watching tutorials on YouTube :super
    simi.d likes this.