TAT 2018 - Honda Grom Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by victay, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Karl G.

Karl G. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for telling your story. The videos are fantastic!
    simi.d and victay like this.
  2. thor63

thor63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed following your ride last year. Now I have the wife hooked watching your videos, she looks forward to each new episode. Lots of fun, thanks for taking the time to edit and post as I know it takes a lot of effort.
    i4bikes, simi.d, victay and 1 other person like this.
  3. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the compliments. We are having loads of fun putting these videos together while reliving our adventure, and it's great to see that you are enjoying it.

We'll keep them coming weekly if possible. The next one is coming together nicely, definitely one of the highlights of the trip (the 3 days spent crossing the Rockies). So much footage of amazing scenery that we are battling to cut it down :-)

6.9 Edit 9.00_11_47_08792.Still002.jpg

6.9 Edit 9.00_08_54_15018.Still001.jpg

Now that the 2019 TAT season has started we just want to go back and do it all again... or maybe the Continental divide... or just spend a month based out of Moab... or do a national park tour (maybe on bigger bikes :-))... So many options.

We still ride the Groms to work a couple times a week (sharing the love with our Boogers) but we had to take an adventure break over summer due to life and commitments.. and now it's winter and miserably cold. Ah well, summer is coming... or maybe we'll take the Groms to find some snow!
    Saw these in my Facebook feed today - ADV Groms are getting there... :happay

62322883_2497708873573872_5395633930676207616_o.jpg

61805107_2497708826907210_1857389500854960128_n.jpg

62050393_2497708773573882_4620687715829022720_n.jpg
    Night_Wolf, Kyron, cateyetech and 9 others like this.
  4. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't cut it down! Have a bonus edition. Reallly enjoying watching these, Simon & Vicky.
    victay, gulfcoaster, i4bikes and 3 others like this.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adventure Groms are catching on. I saw this at Lake Hill Motors in Corinth, MS. which I believe you stopped at on your trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, love your videos:thumb:thumb:thumb
    Sleepyc, simi.d, victay and 3 others like this.
  6. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still following along with you guys. Love the videos. Someone with Honda should see these.
    Northern_Rider777, simi.d and victay like this.
  7. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Mountains at long last! Even though we had to push a couple of times, it was worth it.

Marshal Pass was much easier than expected. We found out later, that even though we had bought the GPX tracks from Sam, the route he had given us differed to what others had received from him. We went up the Marshall Pass Road (blue line in map below), but there is a more challenging route (the 203 - green line in the map) that runs parallel to it.

Funnily enough on a trip this big there are always wee bits of info that you miss for some reason. For us it was California and Corkscrew Passes. No clue. Didn't ever register in any of our research. Everyone always talks about Cinnamon and Ophir. The rest of them were a complete surprise surprise to us. I don't think they even showed up in OSM app we were using. Made it more of an adventure though :)
    Marshal Map.jpg

8. Daryloftexas

Daryloftexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    loving the videos guys. sitting at home watching your videos, wishing my xr was done and that I hadn't used all my vacation on a rainy nmbdr.
    JagLite, simi.d and victay like this.
  9. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Happy Sunday!!!! Wonderful installment.
    simi.d likes this.
  10. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was the best video I've seen of those Colorado passes. Absolutely amazing.
    JagLite and simi.d like this.
  11. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic video! I'll be doing the western part of the TAT in September, and your video has me even more excited to do it.
  12. alex4515

alex4515 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just read all 50 pages. Glad you had a successful trip and thank you for putting this together for our entertainment!!
  13. leevil

leevil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vic and Sim, episode 6 was awesome! Some really cool footage and editing, really well done. That "gnarlier" route up to Marshall Pass was pretty tough, it was like a dried up creek bed or something and was pretty much all loose rocks!!!
    simi.d and JagLite like this.
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of my "adv" Grom. I need tires & I doubt I will make an epic trip like yours, but I like the mods I have done so far. My cases are the equivalent of the Pelican 1500, but cost me $50 each. Had a buddy build the Side Racks; that is a Givi E450 top case. On the hand guards I have Alpena Spot Lights, Aux Admore Rear running/brake/signal combo. Tutoro Chain Oiler, Wee Strom mirrors on risers, slip stream windshield, 3 circuit solution fuse block from Eastern Beaver, Ram mounts for my GPS & amplifier, speakers & MP3 player (I like tunes when I'm riding :hide) exhaust & K&N air filter, go fast reflective rim tape:photog, a Seat Concepts seat & heated grips

2018_Grom_june.jpg

2017 Grom that The_Filly rides; same electrical & mechanical mods but no amplifier & speakers on her bike, different mirrors on dbl stacked risers, stock seat, Givi E350 top case

2017_Grom_june.jpg

Before most of the mods were started

IMG_20181027_135933592_HDR.jpg
  15. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Any info on that engine guard & skid plate combo :tb

One problem I see with the rack for the top case is removing that seat :hide
  16. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    @Night_Wolf I reckon those go faster strips must add at least 0.01hp. It's awesome that you and your partner are riding bikes together.
    Snapper33, klaviator and Night_Wolf like this.
  17. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Looks like they've done a really good job. From the Facebook post, Jairo Ramirez at Maxim Honda In Allen, Texas is the man to speak to.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  18. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    JagLite, MYUMPH and leevil like this.
  19. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loving your videos. Your videos of Colorado were amazing. I got the opportunity to ride there last year and your videos truly cover the ruggedness and beauty of the state. Keep them coming!
    simi.d likes this.
  20. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    simi.d likes this.