TAT 2018 - Honda Grom Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by victay, Jun 29, 2018.

1. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    White Rim Trail was one of the highlights of our trip. Hours and hours on solid rock, rocky trail. Exhausting, but very rewarding.

2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    You two are seriously amazing. Cannot believe how calm you both keep under those challenges....or have you edited out the domestics????
    Great vid and the trail looks fantastic. That landscape is like a movie set but better.
    Thanks for the time and trouble to edit and post.
    LewisNClark, simi.d and JagLite like this.
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I think that's probably your best episode yet (not least being blessed with awesome scenery of course)...

Just one piece of constructive criticism - when you do the camera shutter flick through a series of still photos, perhaps consider pausing each picture for at least 2 if not 3 seconds, so you can actually see the content - particularly when you've got such a great backdrop.

Keep it up!

Jenny x
    kleinergti1, JagLite and simi.d like this.
  4. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would be so afraid of hitting a rock on a narrow trail and bouncing off one of those cliffs.
    LewisNClark and simi.d like this.
  5. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another fantastic video! Thanks for taking us along. I can't imaging riding the White Rim trail on a Grom - you guys rock
    simi.d likes this.
  6. HonkytonkAngel

HonkytonkAngel n00b

Oddometer:
    Spectacular ride!
    simi.d likes this.
  7. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    The trick is to keep her fed... and do exactly what I'm told :rofl
  8. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jenny. I'll keep that in mind for the next ones. Vicki has been telling me the same thing for a while now. I tried introducing her to the pause button... She was not impressed :lol3
  9. Cheftyler

Cheftyler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haaahahahahahhahahaha!
  10. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can always slow down the play speed if you want to see more of the background. :beer
    (under settings on YT, lower right corner)
  11. dapopa

dapopa n00b

Oddometer:
    About 30 years ago a friend of mine climbed Pikes Peak 14,115 feet about 4302 meters on the original Honda 50cc monkey. It was slow and WFO in first gear for the last mile or so but it made it all the way to the top. I don’t think they had over 2.5 HP at sea level.
  12. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Bonneville Salt Flats - Vroom Vroom :)

13. leevil

leevil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another great episode! Any cars coming...LOL
    ntadvr, klaviator, RockyDS and 2 others like this.
  14. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :happayI read your RR as you wrote it the first time and now you have me looking every day for your vids.
    klaviator, simi.d, Ranger Jim and 2 others like this.
  15. InTheMuck

InTheMuck So it goes...

Oddometer:
    Amongst the has beens & the addicts (Milwaukee)
    Same here! And now I'm thinking I HAVE to go ride White Rim Trail!! :drif
    derblauereiter and simi.d like this.
  16. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Thank Lee... was empty.. guess they were all too scared to take on the mighty Groms :rofl
    leevil, RedDogAlberta and cateyetech like this.
  17. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    I always smile to myself when the horn toots and the funky music starts. It just reminds me it's going to be a fun time watching the video.
  18. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Or use the pause button as Simi said, but that's not the point - the 'shutter burst' effect only really works with a series of very similar photos, so the effect is stop motion (waving arms, facial expressions etc.) - using a series of different photos that quickly just wastes the content as it's over before you see what is actually going on.

Jx
    gluaisrothar, JagLite and simi.d like this.
  19. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh man! I thought I was late to the thread and was pleasantly surprised to catch up to modern day and be waiting for the last installments like everyone else. This thread it awesome, I’ve used it to rekindle my fiancée’s interest in bikes and will be shopping for a “mini adventure” bike for her shortly.

Your videos just went through my neck of the woods, it’s super cool to see what the groms are capable of on the white rim and slickrock. I was surprised to see you didn’t come up through the Utah BDR route, since that’s where some of the best high altitude summer riding in the state is. I’d lobby for Sam to change that part of the route to stick to the mtns up through the Manti-La Sal and Wasatch Range.
  20. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I agree there is some lovely riding up the eastern side of Utah (where the BDR route goes), but equally, the TAT takes in some excellent trails up Buckhorn Draw and west over the mountains to Ephraim (10,000+ft) and beyond Delta towards the Nevada border too.

You then get to pass Bonneville Salt Flats and Promontory Summit too as you ride around the top of the Great Salt Lake, which for a lot of visitors new to the region offer some excellent 'sideshow' highlights.

The obvious route (and/or if you're short of time) is to ride up the BDR and enter Idaho in the south east corner of course, but I think you'd miss out on really exploring some of the other highlights Utah has to offer - personally speaking, I think the current TAT route is a good compromise in giving you a taste of what [the old] Nevada [route] was like (without the shlep north through the sand & heat) and at the same time now punctuates it with Wendover/Bonneville and Promontory Summit which are definitely worth a pause at.

[​IMG]

Ultimately though, Sam will tell you that the TAT is foremost designed to be a [his] guide/suggestion - taking you though some cool places right across the country... and anyone is welcome to modify their own personal route as they see fit and/or circumstances dictate.

Jenny x