TAT 2018 - Honda Grom Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by victay, Jun 29, 2018.

1. randob300

randob300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm late to the thread...but I've enjoyed reading through every page this past week. What an amazing journey...and thank you for allowing us a small glimpse of it.
    Night_Wolf, victay and simi.d like this.
  2. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Thats awesome to hear. May I also recommend getting a headset system too. Makes a huge difference being able to talk to each other on a ride.
    78er, ChicoProf, gluaisrothar and 4 others like this.
  3. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    totally! That was a HUGE takeaway too.
  4. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am really, really glad I don't have a headset. I have really bad conversations out loud with myself while riding. I would get locked up in the looney bin if anyone ever heard me.
    simi.d, JagLite and derblauereiter like this.
  5. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can have that problem sometimes, but as a whole it's a lot easer to be able to talk or have a normal conversation on long days. Maybe a push to talk would be good but my units don't have that feature.
    simi.d and JagLite like this.
  6. gluaisrothar

gluaisrothar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got caught up on all of the 4 episodes I had missed over the last month or so. Amazing stuff ... and I even got to see my friend Lee again in one of them
    simi.d likes this.
  7. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    for info. you can set the Sena's intercoms to either be voice activated, or push once to open up the channel, and then push again to close it - ie. you don't have to keep your finger on the button while talking, it's stays active until you switch back to stand-by again.

That way you can chat away to your hearts content, or close the channel and sing along to yourself as much as you like ;o)

Jx
  8. mathdl

mathdl Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for the RR and the videos. Really great entertainment, on the other hand, now I realize I would likely been unable to ride the TAT in my best summer on my best bike. Slickrock and White Rim looked scary enough, I can't imagine tackling them after so many weeks on the trail.
    WELL DONE! for the ride.
    VERY WELL DONE! for the report and videos.
    JagLite, victay and simi.d like this.
  9. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    We cross over into our last state in this one.

10. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    And so we come to the final video of our little trip across America.

I think we were both starting to feel a little tired, and a little sad at the prospect of our trip coming to an end. Kind of like how on a Sunday afternoon you start thinking about having to go to work on Monday. We were also a little bit anxious about something going wrong so close to the finish line.

There was one last steep and loose bit in particular that had us a bit worried. It’s just beyond Tiller, and we had read about it on the Facebook group. Jenny Morgan had posted a screenshot of her annotated gps track and when it looks like this, you know it’s gonna be “interesting”.

IMG_0635.jpg

We gave it a go, but it definitely, whupped our butts. We could have persevered and pushed the bikes like we did in Colorado , but we were just sooo close to Port Orford and those rocks were very loose, so we called it quits and detoured.

We chose to finish our trail at Battle Rock instead of Sams offical finish further North. Only because Battle Rock sounds cooler and seemed like a more fitting finish to an epic journey.

We are so very glad we did this trip. Thank you all for reading our posts and watching our videos. The comments on here and on the vids have certainly given us both the warm fuzzies, and have helped keep Simon motivated while spending many nights and most weekends editing away. We are sorry if we have not always replied to each and every comment but be sure we have read and appreciate every one of them

Time to go unchain Simon from his computer and get out and ride some more. But it’s winter and it’s cold outside, so maybe we will have to start planning the next adventure :)

P.S. Man did we complain about the cold a lot in the last couple of days of our trip. We really do need to ‘harden up’ some.
    Allucaneat, td63, SLUGGO and 29 others like this.
  11. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer

Oddometer:
    Such a great report! Thanks to you two for sharing. Best TAT report EVER!
    SLUGGO, BLucare, cateyetech and 5 others like this.
  12. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve so loved your report. What a wonderful adventure. Thank you so much for all of your hard work to share it with us. I will miss your posts and videos.
    victay, i4bikes, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  13. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very well done! Looking forward what you're going to ride next.
    gluaisrothar, victay and simi.d like this.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like @MYUMPH posted: "Best TAT report EVER!" This was one of the most enjoyable ride reports I have read. First, doing the TAT on Groms meant it was bound to be great. Second, you guys did such a great job documenting this. Third, this report was much more personal since I had the chance to meet both of you in person.

I was sad when your trip ended even though I was very happy that you were able to do the whole trip on your Groms. Now that you posted your last video I'm really sad:(

So I'd like to make a suggestion. Start a thread in Day Trippin and post up some of you rides as you do them back home. I know it won't be as epic as your TAT report but I think there are a lot of people besides me who would be interested in the riding you are doing in NZ.

Don't make us wait until your next epic trip for more posts from you:deal
    Ride Now, victay, gulfcoaster and 4 others like this.
  15. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    I echo Klaviator's recommendations. Simon's vids are very well done and I would like to see more, even if they are not Groms on the TAT.

The both of you are welcome to crash at my home if you are every back in the NE USA. Since you did not get murdered the first time...
    victay, MYUMPH, simi.d and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having followed you guys "live" on your TAT 2018 adventure, I have to say, watching these excellent vids, I have a whole new appreciation for your journey. Very well done indeed! It occurred to me recently that of all the TAT RR's I've followed and enjoyed, yours is the only one I actually followed to the finish (both in "real time" last year and again with the vids). I guess I could say you "captured my imagination".

Thanks again victay and simi.d, it was a real pleasure.
    victay and simi.d like this.
  17. fastredbike

fastredbike locked-down tight

Oddometer:
    just have to say IMO this has been some of the most consistently entertaining content on the site. Well done guys!
  18. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    Loved the videos !!!

I thought the ending was to much like the ending of the "Sopranos" or "Everybody hates Chris" ............. it sucked :hmmmmm
    victay, Dualsport4ever and simi.d like this.
  19. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come over for a ride in the Queensland winter, perfect time. 1 - 26 C

Loved the trip report, both times around, thanks so much.
    victay, Night_Wolf and simi.d like this.
  20. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Amazing trip and awesome job on the videos! Really impressive!!!