TAT 2019 Couple Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Thinwater, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Delay, I had day 10 edited and ready to load, day 11 I worked on all Saturday because the weather was so nasty. Late last night my external hard drive crapped out (where my edited and raw files were because I have to upload at other locations due to connection restriction), I do have the files backed up elsewhere but will have to get another external drive and get them copied over. It stinks that I lost probably 8 hours of editing work, but at least I still have hope of recovering all my raw files except a few pics that we found late on my wifes phone.
    Back up your stuff! Inmate Service Announcement.
  2. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    O.K. guys stinking computer hardware fail recovery is complete and day 10 is better late and re-done than never. I hope you enjoy.
    Pepperlady likes this.
  3. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great!
  4. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hit media link max on original post so continuing here.

Day 11
    Got an early start and it was a perfectly cool morning, a stark contrast to the heat we escaped the afternoon before. A few sand washes proved challenging. I'm not sure I'll ever get enough practice with no sand near home to conquer that totally. The canyon was gorgeous, it was awesome to think about standing in the same spot as people a few thousand years ago. Looking at their hunting reports and such on the wall imagining what it looked like then before the roads and political borders. We ate in Castle Dale at Fatty's, there we met two other TAT riders who'd had the misfortune of T-boning a bull. They were waiting on a report from a local body shop to see if the victim bike was going to be able to make the rest of the journey. We exchanged contacts with them before parting ways. Also I unsuccessfully tried to get with tech support and get the main GPS warranty swapped. You have to have a computer and download a program to do a check on it first before TomTom will proceed with any warranty replacement. This cannot be done while out and about because no one will let you download software on their system and understandably so. Things being that I didn't have room for a laptop nor did I think it would survive the trip if I had brought it, I was kinda stuck. I expressed my disgust but it didn't get me anywhere. It was a long day with a very late and anticipated lunch, then we pressed onward to Joe's Valley Campground to settle in for the night. It was a fantastic day with much to see and beautiful scenery.

Day 12
    We left Joes Valley campground but not before a good breakfast of oatmeal. While eating our breakfast the two TAT riders we met earlier Day 11 passed us. This wound up making a funny as we got into our day just a little later. Something that they stirred up, we reaped the vengeance of, sheep dogs. I can imagine that they'd just worked the herd back together from the previous riders when we showed up, and they weren't very happy about their wasted effort. You can tell by the raised hackles on the back of the first one to greet me. No injuries though, they just had a positive conversation with us to get on out of there. The day ended in Delta after lunch in Ephraim at the Satisfied Ewe and it was great. Leaving Ephraim was probably the most exciting riding of the day with good views to boot.

Day 13
    The morning started in Delta Utah with a dead battery on the Honda. I'm grateful that it revealed itself in the cool of the morning in the middle of a town. Napa was a mile away from the Good Sam campground we stayed at on the same hwy and had the battery in stock. Hearing from our fellow TAT riding buddies we met on day 11, we learned that it was bike week at the Salt Flats and Thursday was going to be the last day (half day we would learn later). The Honda in need of a rear tire before long we thought there would be a lot of vendors there and could possibly score a rear tire without having to order one and wait on it somewhere. Also bike week at the Salt Flats would be cool to see, so we skipped trail this particular Wednesday to parallel on Hwy for speed to not miss Bike week at the Salt Flats.