TAT 2019 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call in at this place ... good service for BMW's .. and good mechanics.
    5th Gear Cycles
    1200 S.W. EXPRESSWAY DR. | BROKEN ARROW, OK 74012 |
    918-258-4774

2. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I'm riding back roads through Oklahoma but it is so darn pretty I think I'm going to jump back on the trail pick up section 2.
    Pushing the tires but I think I can make Colorado springs
  3. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am no expert on big bikes or any particular tire but I just finished the full TAT on a Honda crf250L last week. I changed tires in Colorado Springs. I put on a pretty aggressive dirt set (Dunlop 606/ Pirelli MT21). I can't say those knobbies were 100% necessary but I was happy to have them and they performed very well. I feel like the eastern half of the TAT chewed tires up much worse than the western half. Seemed like most of the east's "off-road" stuff was sharp, deep man-made gravel that just destroyed my tires while the off-road stuff in the west has a more "natural" surface that is much gentler on the rubber. The set I put on in CS still had maybe 40% life left in Portland Oregon. If I had been riding home from Portland I would have left them on and gone with them.
    mrstarks2001 likes this.
  4. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Looking to do the western part this September. Do you guys have good gpx tracks for the west you can share?
  5. mrstarks2001

mrstarks2001 Ohh, not bad you?

Oddometer:

I could zap you over any of sams west TAT tracks and you can download any of the BDR route gpx tracks for free from the BDR website. Pm me if you want those.

MJ
  6. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Agreed on the sharp terrain of the eastern part. Pavement was like a cheese grader. Eiterway I am in Co Springs for tires in the am as well. Hot but Damm its a great ride from NM on so far!
  7. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Oh man it hasn't even started to get good yet. Enjoy the rest of it.
  8. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking to start the western half from Trinidad in September.
    Anyone have suggestions where I could stash my truck and trailer for a few weeks?
  9. Mikey Mike

Oddometer:
    There must be a good storage facility .. normally $75-100 per month. Take a copy of your rego papers with you to show you are the owner.
  10. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our bikes are prepped and ready to go in a storage unit right beside the Montrose Airport, Colorado.
    We plan to fly in Sunday (11th) and depart immediately.
    The plan is to pickup the rimrockertrail to Moab.
    We have numerous tracks including the original and new Sam and Kevin's, but we are leaning towards taking the Utah BDR northbound from Moab and rejoining the TAT through Boise to Port Orford.
  11. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checking in for 2019 TAT. I’m shipping my bike from San Francisco to Trinidad, CO and plan to head west from Trinidad on August 29. Meeting a friend and then heading together to Moab. Will do some Moab stuff and then some mix of UBRDR, TAT and GPSKevin (now curious about Rimrocker after someone just mentioned it). Will be solo after Utah. I’m riding the KTM 350EXCF pictured, camping and moteling.

Topar Racing in Trinidad has been kind enough to receive my bike from the uship driver. Maybe call them and see if they can store your truck or know a place. Henry Topar has been helpful and they’re supporters of the TAT.
    http://shoptoparracing.com/tat-service-and-support-information/
    IMG_0126.jpg
    PackinDirt and CBBaron like this.
  12. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mikejana - cool tip about Rimrocker. I hadn’t heard of that. What do you know of it? Any reason to do that vs TAT or GPSKevin? Too many options!!
  13. mikejana

Oddometer:
    I stopped in a shop in Montrose to get a tire this week. They were all avid dirt bike riders. I told them my bikes were in a mini storage by the airport and we wanted a trail to connect back to the TAT while avoiding pavement. The trail is literally .7 miles from the bikes.
    They had maps and gave it a big recommendation, I researched and asked and it seems like a great choice.

I'm riding with my 3 sons and we left the Bikes last year after a couple of Hard Falls. We've been off the bikes almost a year, so hoping for a way to ease back into the groove. The bike shop called it novice, Bob at 3 steps hideaway and the Montrose Visitor Center (who has free trail maps) called it intermediate. i do not want to immediately jump back into terrain like the Ouray side of Engineer Pass.

We want to hit some salt flats on the crossing, does anyone have track suggestions from the 6th leg of the Utah BDR to hit salt flats and head to Boise?
    miks likes this.
  14. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right on. I tore my ACL a year ago riding so I’m looking to ease back into things too. Rimrocker sounds like it could be a nice option. Thanks for the info.
  15. Addapost

Oddometer:
    That sucks. Did you do that on Engineer Pass?
  16. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Our Xrays were caused by the bottom of Enginer Pass near mineral creek
    Addapost and PackinDirt like this.
  17. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No - was back at a pretty mild singletrack trail near Nevada City, CA. Leg just caught a rock and got pulled back for a second and that was it - kept riding and it just felt a little weird and got progressively worse throughout the day. Was wearing carbon fiber knee braces, too. Maybe just a freak accident.
  18. WingedADV

WingedADV n00b

Oddometer:
    IMG_0382.jpg

Leaving Nags Head on Sam's route o/a Sep 13. I have been planning for a couple of years and have until Oct 16 to get done. Planning on mostly camping with hotel (showers) spaced throughout.
  19. Mikey Mike

Oddometer:
    My bike is presently in storage and in Tulsa but back on the TAT about 24th Aug and then will hit the Oklahoma, NM section and then Colorado. I am looking at coming off the TAT at the section with the UTBDR around Moab and heading North to the Salt Lake region so can hit the Pony Express route through Utah and Nevada toward Carson City. Is there much accommodation on the Colorado and Moab sections ?.
  20. mikejana

Oddometer:
    We are under way again!

Rim Rocker trail out of Montrose was beautiful. We took it because our bikes were stored in Montrose, less than a mile from the Rim Rocker trail-head. We did the first half to Nauturita, then made a beeline towards the 3 step hideaway.
    We had a bike die in slick rock Co shortly after dark. Really bad place and timing to break down.
    Pushed it to the road and got a ride in a pickup to Cortez Co. More than an hour out of the way, but Mesa Verde Motorsports got us back on (off) the road super quick and really reasonably price. Definitely recommended. It was a wire that got pinched by the seat.

Hopped on the Kevin tracks near dove creek, then stopped and visited Scott and Julie at the 3 step hideaway. We are behind schedule and could not stay, but the knowledge Scott shared in 30 minutes was worth months of searching the internet and forums.

Followed the Kevin tracks through Moab and really enjoyed it. Downhills on rock are no longer a favorite after Engineer Pass last season.
    After Moab, There is a closed section of the original Highway 50 that goes through Crescent Junction, abandoned and not maintained. Could do that one all day.

Especially fun sections on the same abandoned road on the I-70 side of the railroad tracks, west of the Arby's when Kevin tracks crossed to the south side. Had to climb a 20 foot embankment that was covered in roost tracks, and got to play in some small gullies. We broke a starter switch housing and have resorted to touching wire to start one bike. We are heading to RockyMountain ATV for the part. We will make a decision on where to resume what track after we install the part is. Maybe Utah BDR north and then ?
    miks likes this.