TAT 2019 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Jan 25, 2019.

1. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike - helpful update. I’m planning now to do rimrocker and will head to 3 Step as well, then Moab. I’ve heard the UTBDR is great north of Moab so that’s what I’m planning to do into Idaho, then probably Sam or GpsK tracks westward. Safe travels and keep us posted.
  2. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are soooo many trails and routes around Colorado. Do some research, stop at a local shop and ask. You could ride a lifetime out there without repeating. You really don't need traks in the western half of the state. Grab some Butler Maps and go where you want.
    The folks at Davis Service Center, in Montrose, sold and installed a tire for us. Their prices were so insane compared to where we live, but they were quick and very helpful. Everyone in that shop rides Dirt Bikes and everyone had great recommendations.
    We did not go through Gunniston before hitting the Colorado passes, but everyone said the KTM dealer there has every consumable possible for our kind of riding.
    Nothing beats local knowledge, we get the best advice at gas pumps and food stops all the time.
    miks likes this.
  3. mikejana

Oddometer:
    How many days can we "plan" from Boise to Port Orford? Need to reserve the uHaul trailer.
  4. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three would be possible but they'd be long days. Four with normal riding.
    mikejana likes this.
  5. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bout to hit it.
    norton73 likes this.
  6. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Awesome, Thanks.
    We have boogied on the TAT, last son is joining us and my wife will come drive the van as support for the last 3 days. We will have 5 days and try to fit in a spin around Crater lake.
    Addapost likes this.
  7. guernsey

guernsey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I set off from Hatteras yesterday morning with Port Orford being the goal. I'm solo on my WR250R and hope to camp as much as possible with a hotel stay once in a while.
    ACR and Pete S like this.
  8. txmxrider

txmxrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a m/c shop in Raton NM that might let you park your stuff. And I have heard that the Raton police department will let TAT riders park at their station but I can't confirm that. When I did the Western TAT we rented an outdoor RV slot at Northside Storage in Pueblo CO (https://www.pensketruckrental.com/locations/colorado/pueblo/014120/) and parked the truck there. This worked out well since that's also where we returned the Penske truck that we used to haul the bikes back from OR. If you poke around on Google Maps you can find some gravel roads for part of the ride from Pueblo to Walsenburg then pick up the TAT just outside of Walsenburg. Gravel road 340 right across the street from "The Bear Spot" will connect to the TAT. And you're not missing much between Trinidad and Walsenburg. It starts getting good a few miles to the west.
    CBBaron likes this.
  9. guernsey

Oddometer:
    I'm Rob on the spotwalla map. Thanks @fjmartin for setting it up! I've enjoyed following you and others on their rides. Here's the link again for those of you who haven't had it open in it's own tab since it was created like I have. :D
    https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=700
    fjmartin likes this.
  10. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Keep us updated. Have fun!
    guernsey likes this.
  11. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There will be three of us starting out from the Great Plains Bunkhouse (panhandle of OK), probably on 9/2, heading west. Mike from FL will be on a DR650, Kat from TN will be on a CRF250L Rally, I'll be on my KLX250. I'm supposed to be back at work on 9/24, which is on the opposite coast from where we're heading.
    Addapost likes this.
  12. guernsey

Oddometer:
    I wasn't abducted from the Marathon station in Gatlinburg. My tracker wouldn't turn on Thursday morning.
    Currently taking a day off of the trail in Winchester, TN. Nice town with anything you might need including a campground in the city park on Tim's Ford Lake. $15 for a tent site. I sprung for the nicer $20 RV site.
    ETA
    Fantastic trip so far!
  13. tat2019

tat2019 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Checking in, finished the TAT. My friend and I finished it on CRFs. We went all the ways to Oregon coast from Virginia. Just under a month. Sam's tracks.

As far as calling this a "trail" we were both quite disappointed with that. It should be called Trans America Road or Journey, something different than "trail". We were expecting a lot more challenge. We did also see questionable content in another TAT thread, with regards to what appears to be exaggerated photos and writings making things sound/look more difficult on the TAT. We both felt there was a huge disconnect from what the trail was advertised as, and what is actually is in reality. We would like people to know what they are getting into before making a huge time/money commitment. Tracks were purchased from Sam this year. He has is advertised as a "As the trail is made up of dirt, gravel, forest, farm, and brief sections of paved roads". His tracks were about 80% pavement. If anyone wants a copy of the tracks, PM me.

If you do it, try and do the RimRocker and Slickrock. Did the RimRocker from Nucla to Moab, and also did the Slickrock Trail in Moab. Both were excellent. For RimRocker, I would recommend doing La Sal pass near the end though, as there was non stop rock gardens we lost a lot of time on.
  14. Addapost

Oddometer:
    I am not going to disagree with you on most of that. There is definitely a lot of hype around the thing and there is a LOT of Sam kool aid. I have been telling people that this isn't something they should do for the riding, with almost zero exceptions there is no great riding on Sam's TAT. There is some great scenery, but no great riding. This is a bucket list, "I did the TAT" badge, that alone was worth it to me. The best riding on the thing, in my opinion, was all on Kevin's tracks and BDR stuff- Hurricane Creek Road in NC, Engineer Pass, Utah BDR section 2 from Monticello to Green River, Black Dragon Canyon out of Green River. By all accounts Kevin's Nevada tracks are way better riding that Sam's "new" Idaho tracks (yawn! I will forever kick myself in the ass for doing Idaho instead of Nevada. I changed my mind at the last second in Baker NV). The most stand-out section on Sam's tracks was Warloop road, all 6 miles of that. (6/6000 x 100 = 0.001%). Did you guys do any of that? I made it a point to seek out the "good stuff" off of Sam's tracks whenever possible. I don't agree at all that 80% is paved though. Not possible.
    upshizzle likes this.
  15. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Warloop was a nice section but Arkansas was or the Ozarks was. The weather makes the riding harder and the wetter the more difficult.
    I rode North Carolina all the way through to the Ozarks in the wet and in Mississippi I hit the mud which is tough and the water crossings were not all passable.
    The TAT is tougher on larger bikes especially when wet .. I was on a 1200 GSA and my son was on a 650GS and his riding was easier.
    I think The TAT is made for general to good off road riders and not the very good on 250s or 450s as the BDRs are a better option for them.

16. tat2019

tat2019 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A lot of hype, indeed!! Sam Kool Aid, love that. I am actively trying to get a refund from him for the false advertising. Great way to ruin dirt tires is using them on pavement. Before the trail I was going back and forth on using Sam's or Kevin's, no right answer and I felt the right thing to do was pay Sam, now I feel like I was robbed by Sam.

We did not measure the amount of pavement on Sam's, but it is very close to 80%, might be more or less. I would bet a month's salary on that. Sam has updated his tracks sometime recently so maybe that is why it is so much pavement.

I wish we did Kevin's Nevada tracks. Idaho, I enjoyed the section before Boise, there was a section that just went on for hours, saw one truck, and that was it. Absolute middle of no where. We missed Hurricane Creek road and Warloop road. In Colorado we did our own thing for the passes as we expected Sam's picks to be garbage. Engineers, Cinamon, Marshall (was actually on Sam's), Mineral Creek Trail, all amazing. Missed Black Bear, but we didn't want to wait an extra day to do it. Colorado was amazing. Hung out in Gunnison and rode Hartman Rocks too, good fun there!
  17. drfrisker

drfrisker '13 DR650

Oddometer:
    I may edit and rank them here later, but here are a few standout highlights that I can remember being good challenging riding, most of which is Kevin's maps. I did Kevin's maps to Kanosh, UT, and did some of the UT BDR around Moab instead of the trail to green river). Then Sam's from tremonton to crescent, OR where Kevin's maps meet back again. Lots of pavement on Sam's route, I wasn't impressed.

Cinnamon to mineral Creek the first time through on Thursday Aug 1
    Cinnamon closed with landslides on 8/3
    Engineer to California, corkscrew and hurricane, then Imogene later the same day on 8/5.

War loop road

Climbing some of the plateaus in Utah past Emery UT, near white mountain

The climb at cedar springs mountain in Oregon

County road 555 before Tillatoba, MS in the rain

Good riding in Deschutes nat'l forest near China Hat volcano, in fact there's a lot of good riding in Oregon it's just out there and not amazing like UT / CO

Not on the trail but riding near crested Butte and to/from Crystal Mill, CO was nice.

Hurricane Creek isn't on Kevin's so I didn't get to do it
  18. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    I'm not questioning that you rode 80% pavement, maybe for some reason you did.
    But that just means you did not follow the tracks Sam gave you.
    If it were 80% paved, why did it take you so long to ride it?
  19. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    "Hurricane Creek isn't on Kevin's so I didn't get to do it"
    You skipped Hurricane Creek???
    You gotta come down and ride it, otherwise you didn't ride the TAT (properly) :)
  20. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heading out from Trinidad, CO this Friday morning. General plan is TAT to Montrose, RimRocker Trail, 3Step Hideaway, Moab area, UTBDR, GPSKevin across Nevada into Oregon, then TAT/GPSK acrosss Oregon to Port Orford. Will be with a buddy the first week, then solo. Riding a 2015 KTM 350 EXCF. Will be camping and moteling. I've added myself to the Spotwalla page as "mik". Cheers!
    CBBaron and Addapost like this.