TAT 2019 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Jan 25, 2019.

1. onthetrail

onthetrail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey TAT crew, My DR650 is quite sad. You see, I did the TAT from VA to Stillwater, OK and had to put the bike in storage 3 months back!

I've done the TAT back in 2017 but prefer not to go it alone (safety). I'd like to do a 5-10 day ride on the TAT from Stillwater, OK to Trinidad, CO (or further). Anyone up for a ride? I'd be an adventure and I'm willing to cover motel/hotel costs. Thanks for considering! PM me anytime. I'm free October 7-16, October 21-Nov 4 (hoping it doesn't start snowing sooner lol).
    upshizzle likes this.
  2. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I were you, I'd skip Oklahoma trail for crossing on Hwy, pick up trail at New Mexico and use the extra time saved from Oklahoma to go further.
  3. onthetrail

onthetrail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did this on my first TAT ride. Trying to stick to the blue line as much as possible. :)
    Thinwater likes this.
  4. ScottTenere

ScottTenere Just want to ride

Oddometer:
    I wanted to follow up having just returned from the planned ride on Sam's track from NC to OK on my Yamaha TW-200. I departed from near Oklahoma City and made the trip to NC without incident, although not more than 55 mph. I picked up the TAT near Boone, NC as I recall. It was a combination of dusty gravel roads and narrow paved roads that weaved through the hills/mountains. It runs near the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) in this area and before too long, I found myself on the BRP having a great time on the little TW in the hilly curves. I was off and on the TAT, but eventually just got on the BRP and road it nearly to the end, near Cherokee, NC. Headed southwest the following day and road the TAT most of the morning. I was southeast of Tellico Plains and I encountered narrow single lane gravel/rocks tracks with many switchbacks working over and around mountains that would then put you out on nice two lane asphalt roads that continued to weave through the mountains. I ran across the Cherohala Skyway and found that it was great fun on the little bike. As others have noted, you often ride quite a few miles to make a relatively short distance "as the crow would fly", but that is to be expected in this type of terrain. Do not expect to stay on the TAT constantly and quickly move across this area.

I realized at this point I had significantly underestimated how long it would take to get back to OK if I stayed on the TAT the entire way, and I had fallen behind riding some of the bonus roads. I assumed it would pickup up after getting out of the mountains, but the work situation changed at home cutting me even shorter on time. I picked what appeared to be fun paved roads and starting running for OK.

In preparing for the trip, I read numerous accounts of the track and what I would encounter. As I was off and on, I really have no idea how much is paved or not. I am guessing that most riders also spend a fair amount of time getting off and on, making the "tracking" of what you encounter on the "TAT" more difficult to evaluate after the fact. What I was not prepared for was the number of fantastic moto roads in the area. I knew of some of course, but I ran across many more of which I had no idea were present. I found it impossible to stay on the TAT with these other options before me. I would encourage anyone riding in this area to fully research all of your options in the NC/TN area. I was lucky in that I ran many of these great moto roads during the week and avoided weekends. There were many motos sharing the experience, but no heavy traffic to interfere with the fun.

Maybe after retirement I can consider another attempt to at least experience some of tracks in the many sections I had to pass on this first attempt. Also, I will say that of the sections of the TAT I did ride, I could have done it on my Super T, but as I was alone it was nice being able to easily handle everything on the little TW.
    PackinDirt and FAW3 like this.
  5. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    EVERYONE,

@dualscotty and I completed the TAT in late August all on Kevin's tracks from North Carolina to Port Orford in 24 days. Just over 5000 miles were added to the bikes. With only a couple diversions due to locked gates (personal property, cattle ranches, and fire danger in Oregon on the last day), we had no issues following his tracks. Minor mechanical setbacks and a couple nasty offs aside, we had a fantastic time on the trail. It's a big country and there's lots to see but more than that it was the people we met along the way. There are still good folks everywhere you go.

Thank you for all the great stories and updates for this year's TAT riders. It was a successful year for many riders and I look forward to lots more trail tales in the future.

Jesse
    McLaughc, oakcutter and NxtGoRnd like this.
  6. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles

Oddometer:
    Miami Beach, Fl / Charleston, SC & London
    I thought Oklahoma was a nice state ... I followed the Sams route and enjoyed it - little sandy on the latter regions but a nice route.

My bike is in Utah presently and looking at returning East to Charleston next summer is there a second route to the TAT ? West to East ?. I noticed the Pony Express but wonder how much is actually rideable on the bike, would like to stick North if possible so could hit Pa and then take the MABDR South to Lebanon and then pick up the East side of the SEAT.

I just wondered if there is a TAT equiv from West to East.

Thinwater likes this.
  7. oakcutter

oakcutter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice report and pics. Thank You.
  8. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Between Tennessee and Utah, Sam and Kevin follow pretty much the same routes through the middle of the country. I'm sure there are other routes besides their TAT tracks but you'd have to do the research. I like the plan to connect to the MABDR.

Hey, you could always blaze your own Northern track and publish it here!
  10. san1k

san1k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread.

I plan on going from NC to end of OK starting September 10th. Prepping my KLX for the trip. Look forward to seeing y'all out there.
  11. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    So I'm assuming you're talking about NEXT year? Someone's gotta start a 2020 TAT thread.

Shit, you know that moment when you have a good idea and someone says, "Well do it!"? Damn, I think I just volunteered to moderate a 2020 TAT page.

Unless some other kind soul wants to step up?
    Rips Millar likes this.
  12. PackinDirt

Oddometer: