TAT 2019 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Jan 25, 2019.

1. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would do it if I couldn't leave earlier. In my experience, rain in Utah in September can be likely and very problematic. The Colorado passes will be cooler, and you need to be ready for overnight temps getting a little below freezing, but that's manageable. I can't speak to Idaho, but you should be ok going through Nevada. I've never been to Oregon later than early October, but you should be ok through then.
    Thinwater likes this.
  2. bchurro

bchurro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @SATEX Thanks for the run down. Is the Utah rain due to the mud that follows? I do a lot of snow and cold weather camping so I can handle below zero in CO. Unfortunately, late August is the earliest I can leave although I'm trying to work on that. Good to know that I'll still be ok if I do end up leaving at that time.
  3. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    September seems to be the rainy month there, so yes. I'd still go ... but don't get too bold when you see mud. Let discretion be the better part of valor and skip a section that looks iffy.
    Thinwater, Glirving and upshizzle like this.
  4. Glirving

Glirving n00b

Oddometer:
    July doing MABDR from section 4 down to NC will have both Kevin and Sams maps and will follow whichever parts seem to have the most sights nearby. Might be stuck in CO until passes clear, but I like exploring. KTM 1090
    Mulebiscuit likes this.
  5. oakcutter

oakcutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully mid July with two others, Trinidad to Port Orford, Me on a Sherpa 250, Ken on a 650 Bush Pig and Nelson on a 790. The suspension on the Sherpa is somewhat lacking but its what I got and loving it. Kinda like riding a Rock. LOL.
    rudy4pl likes this.
  6. upshizzle

upshizzle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m planning to start first week of August in NC around pisgah nation forest. Maybe double back to the start or might just save the extra miles and enjoy Utah and Colorado for a bit longer. Haven’t made a decision about Kevin or sams but I plan to have both ready and just roll with the punches and see where I wind up. Riding a KLR 650 and looking to do it on the cheap with the majority being camping. I’ll be hanging in CO for about a week to catch a show at red rocks and enjoy some time with friends. Hope to see some of the late starters out there
  7. oakcutter

oakcutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone suggest a good RV camp ground around Trinidad or just east a bit where a vehicle can be left with a bike trailer. We are traveling from Massachusetts in July to park and ride the Western half of the TAT, Then back to the vehicle VIA whatever. Could be a 25 days or so by the time were done. Thanks.
  8. geastburn

geastburn n00b

Oddometer:
    Leaving Cedar Rapids, IA August 1st headed for Liberal, KS to begin solo westward GPSKevin route to Port Orford, OR. Hardened GSW and intending to camp 2/3rds of trip. Ride pavement home once completed. 23 day window to complete. Retiring in three weeks and making the trip a pilgrimage of sorts.
    johnnywheels likes this.
  9. drfrisker

drfrisker '13 DR650

Oddometer:
    Looking to head out the week of July 14-20th, on a DR650 that's done it before (but not me), leaving from Central VA. Planning to stop at more than a few national parks on the way to the pacific. Not sure If I will start at hatteras but will likely follow Kevin's maps. Mostly camping but staying somewhere with laundry capabilities and facilities every so often will be nice... post#69
  10. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! I don't pay attention for a couple weeks (it's finally nice enough to get out and ride!) and look what happens. Back on track and I'll get all the new entries posted to the main page today.

Thank you to everyone for keeping the tone light and supportive in our discussion of Sam and Kevin tracks.

So many of us are going to be out there this summer; I'm sure we'll cross paths sometime. Just look for the dirt-encrusted, tired-looking riders. It's probably one of us...
    oakcutter likes this.
  11. Chad650

Chad650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On it now, stopped in Beebe Ar for the night.
    PackinDirt and Thinwater like this.
  12. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still going!!!

Have a list of to dos for the bike (about 7-8 items), got most of my gear but needs going through, luggage is on point, need to now gather it all, test pack and go from there. First I have to get the bike done.

Getting excited.

How are you guys doing?
    Thinwater likes this.
  13. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, keep us updated.
  14. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am basically all set. In the last couple weeks I ordered, purchased, received, and installed the last of it (I think) including:
    1. IMS gas tank (to get 200+ mile range)
    2. New Kenda rear tire
    3. New air filter
    4. Oil change
    5. Garmin InReach Mini
    6. Purchased and put Sam’s gps tracks on my phone and in Dropbox
    6a. Put the official MABDR tracks on my phone (Doing the MABDR to get to the TAT)
    7. Uploaded all necessary Gaia maps for offline navigation

I still have to send a new set of tires along with an oil filter and air filter to my buddies house in Colorado Springs so I can do that mid-ride maintenance.

I MAY upgrade my tent to a new ultralight Nemo. And I MAY replace my old Klim jacket with something cooler for the hot weather I’m expecting. Spending money and buying kit gets addictive. Or I may just run with what I got.

See you all out there!
    PackinDirt likes this.
  15. Chad650

Chad650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you want a nice hot weather jacket check out the olympia dakar 2. Lots of mesh and comes with a thermal insert and rain gear that can be worn under the jacket to block the wind or over to keep everything dry.
    Addapost likes this.
  16. Mulebiscuit

Mulebiscuit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike back from shop. Fresh MotoZ tires and tool tube installed. New chain fresh brakes and all else checked out. Began packing will finish and be staged for launch by end of weekend. Changed out sleeping bag for warm weather version as I don't think cold will be a issue. Wife even bought me a new helmet wooot. Friday can't get here soon enough. IMG_20190517_140345.jpg IMG_20190418_111251.jpg IMG_20190502_152719.jpg
    PackinDirt and Addapost like this.
  17. wnm_82

wnm_82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tons of flooding in Northern Oklahoma right now. If anyone is enroute be advised you'll run into road closures, re routes, etc.
    upshizzle likes this.
  18. Bbenson

Bbenson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving between August 1 and Sept 1 depending on the weather. Leaving from NYC and headed down the Skyline Drive Parkway to the Blue Ridge Parkway and picking up the trail in North Carolina. Giving myself 6 weeks. Riding a 2014 KTM xcf with modifications.
    IMG_20150117_130550306_HDR.jpg to IMG_20150117_143805474.jpg to IMG_20190519_164928338.jpg Dirt bike to light adventure.
    Liberator, Addapost and rudy4pl like this.
  19. Mulebiscuit

Mulebiscuit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spending night 3 in Winchester TN. Following Sam's map. Allot of fun riding in NC. IMHO Georgia is a utter waste of time unless casual blacktop countryside cruising is your thing. No impassable roads or bridges so far but way to much asphalt. Wondering if I would have followed Sam's pre 2017 route if it would have been more dirt ? Anywho will get as far as I can next 3 days but must turn back Friday for work.
    IMG_20190525_120646.jpg IMG_20190525_130732.jpg IMG_20190526_103207.jpg IMG_20190525_193346.jpg IMG_20190527_093725.jpg IMG_20190527_113657.jpg IMG_20190527_113554.jpg
  20. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the updates on road conditions. It's looking tough for lots of folks in the flooded areas of the central US (tornado in Dayton, OH, last night?!? WTF?!?). Shaping up to be a very active weather summer.

Keep your eyes peeled and the reports coming.