TAT 2019 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    76323303-56CA-4969-9DE2-7739CDF1E3B5.jpeg These are the first two riders I’ve noticed on the TAT so far this year passing Pryor in Northeast Oklahoma and on some very interesting old well kitted bikes. Strangely enough the German guy I spoke to was not too familiar with ADVrider, I thought nearly everyone riding the TAT would have at least crossed these pages:dunno

He and a Swiss where on cool vintage matching early xt500 that they bought Stateside and then spent a good amount rigging out for their trip. They sounded to be on a bit of a tight schedule so they will probably be having to take some bypasses in the high country. Keep an eye out for these two on cool old bikes headed West.
  2. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "
    ROAD UPDATE!!!!

ENGINEER PASS IS OPEN from Lake City to Animas Forks. An alternate route is required to get to Silverton. Travelers will have to go through Animas Forks, to Hurricane Basin, to California Pass and on into Silverton. Please follow signs.

CINNAMON PASS is NOT OPEN to the summit on the Lake City side. It is expected to be open the first part of next week

The road and bridge departments of Hinsdale, San Juan and Ouray counties have been working very hard to clear the roads to make them safe and passable.

While some roads are still closed...

-- DO NOT go around barricades, road closed signs or equipment NO MATTER WHAT! Even if to you the road appears fine at that point, closures are in place for a reason.

-- DO NOT move road closure signs. If you are caught you will be charged.

-- DO NOT drive up to crews and equipment working on the road and wait to get around. Don't try to talk to the crews while they are working. Go back down the pass and let them do their work.

--DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON, drive off the road or trail on to the tundra. This is against the law.

Please be patient and respectful of the back country.
    "
    Thinwater, PackinDirt, Janus9 and 2 others like this.
  3. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I met those guys in North Carolina. Cool guys on really cool bikes.
    Throttlemeister likes this.
  4. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "ROAD UPDATE!!! The Alpine Loop is fully open! Hinsdale County Road and Bridge finished opening Cinnamon Pass yesterday afternoon! Thanks for all your hard work.

Please remember afternoon thundershowers can affect road conditions. Drive aware!"
    Thinwater and fjmartin like this.
  5. bchurro

bchurro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got my date nailed down.. Leaving solo on the 15th of August from Cape Hatteras on a DR650. Camping most of the way and taking Kevins tracks until Idaho then Sams. Looking to meet up with some people at different points if anyone is on a similar timeline.
    drfrisker and Liberator like this.
  6. drfrisker

drfrisker '13 DR650

Oddometer:
    Lots of rain through TN. Met up with Tom, Bill, Joe in tellico plains.

Ak's bike spat out a stock chain link shortly after the third water crossing today. I put a 520 link and only the clip, but it got us to champion cycles north of tellico where I nearly had an RK 525 link put on the stock DID 525 chain before the head guy came outside and pulled out some vicegrips on me to finish it off. I should really get a set.
  7. drfrisker

drfrisker '13 DR650

Oddometer:
    Definitely stay at great plains bunk house 10-15miles past Boise city, OK. Tent spaces are $14, multi bed rooms are $76 cash, great atmosphere, great hospitality
    PackinDirt and Thinwater like this.
  8. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two days to departure from Vermont. RR started (even though I said I wouldn't).

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ox-and-pig-tat-2019.1398109/

Did anyone else find it hard to focus on anything else in the days leading up to D-Day? I can't put two thoughts together. My co-workers thought I was on something. Totally spaced out.

It's 10 degrees cooler in NC than it is in Vermont. Weird.
  9. tat2019

tat2019 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, checking in. Myself and a friend just did the TAT from Damascus Virginia to about the end of Arkansas. Sam's tracks purchased this year. We got so bored we are done with it until the Rockies. Can anyone advise on what is during and after the Rockies?

We got tired of the endless pavement and going north then south over and over. We would estimate about 90 percent of his tracks that we did were pavement.
  10. upshizzle

upshizzle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anything you wouldn’t want to miss in Arkansas? Bout to hit the Mississippi River in the morning and have no problem trying to get a direct route and skipping along to Colorado
  11. tat2019

tat2019 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only the TAT sign in, it is just after the river in Trenton. The guy there is super nice, stop and say hi. After that there is nothing we would recommend in Arkansas
  12. upshizzle

upshizzle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I read before people saying that everything up to New Mexico is skippable. I’m glad I had some fun on a few fire roads with some crossings but it got super monotonous trying to figure out those 25 mph backroads. I took hwy 64 and just busted out miles today. Felt great and feels better seeing how much ground I covered. Good luck to y’all, I’m about a day behind on a red klr
  13. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Just finished the TAT on Monday. Here are some of my thoughts.

My steed was a 2009 530 EXC. No complaints. Never wished for a larger bike.
    15/48 gearing. Could have run a 46 or 44 rear. Blais jetting kit set for 0-5k ft elevation. Never messed with it. Bike ran fine out west.
    Ended up chewing through 3 rear tires and 2 fronts (D606, MT 21, Kenda 270 rears. MT 21 and Kenda 270 front). Kendas were the best. I would only run those if I were to do it again. 2 punctures, both rears. Had a spare rear tube both times. 12v Slime pump for air.
    3.4 gal fuel tank. Carried a 1L MSR bottle. Ran out of gas once. Bigger tank would have been nice.
    Dont’ underestimate the dust factor if you are riding in a group. Me and my buddy spaced out at least a half mile. I brought 1 spare pre-oiled air filter and 6 oiled filter skins. It was the perfect amount. My buddy only brought 1 spare filter. At elevation the dirty filter was killing his power (DRZ400). The filters looked like mud pies after a couple days of the dust.

Gear KLIM Badlands suit, KLIM Mojave gloves, TCX Pro 2.1 boots, HJC DS-X1 helmet, CTi Edge knee braces. Dr Skins wicking base layers. Ended up wearing KLIM Mojave jersey from CO on. I would just bring 2 more of those. The DrSkins full length compression tights were awesome. I brought 3 pairs. Alpinestars nomatex wicking socks are the cats ass. $15 a pair. Good for multiple wearings before rankness would set in. I brought 3 pair. Wouldn’t change anything as far as protection gear. Badlands suit was great in all conditions.

Invest in body powder. I used Anti Monkey Butt powder then Gold Bond when that ran out. A bunch in my socks every morning and powdered the hell out of the under carriage. No probs with athletes foot/crotch rot or saddle sores. Camped 23 of 27 days. Baby wipe shower every night.

Route. Ran the MABDR from Penn to VA. Used Sam’s tracks from VA to UT. UTBDR from UT to ID. Sams from ID to OR. Sam’s route from MS to NM was brutal. Way too much zig zagging. Ended up skipping a lot of that. UTBDR was the shit. Highly recommended you ride it instead of the TAT in UT. Stop in at 3 Step Hideaway in UT. Really unique place run by a great couple. Killer pancakes to boot. Everything from NM to OR was the shit. Worth the ride.
    rev.co, mrstarks2001 and Pete S like this.
  14. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    46918E96-B4A2-4A08-8083-8842A80357C4.jpeg

Attached Files:

sanders446 and Pete S like this.
  15. Addapost

Oddometer:
    I just finished Wednesday and agree 100%. I have no idea what is going on on Sam's tracks east of Oklahoma. What I did was overlay Kevin's on Sam's on the GPS in different colors and I took the straightest line wherever they diverged. Sam's tracks have some large loops- 20, 30 miles, more? that go nowhere but a couple miles down the road. Also, with the exception of Warloop Road in Arkansas, none of the good stuff on the "TAT" is on Sam's tracks. So if you want the good stuff be prepared to follow other people's tracks.
    PackinDirt and TrailBreak like this.
  16. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son and I did Tellico to Tulsa only 3 weeks ago and hit the rain big time. Had to quit for work but back to collect the bike next week and will do Oklahoma onwards.
    We did Sam's and some very good sections but understand what you say .. some of the tracks reach very little distance although quite long.
    The Ozarks were fine though ..

If Colorado
    fjmartin likes this.
  17. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We left our bikes in a mini storage near Ouray last September. I’m in Colorado prepping the bikes for a finish. I plan on leaving Ouray area Sunday the 11th of August with 2 of my sons. My 3rd son could not get enough time off from work so I will pre position his bike closer to Oregon.

Question: We have 5-6 days to ride from Ouray and get as far west as possible. We can ride long days. Is Boise a reasonable goal?

The 3rd son can fly in somewhere and meet us on the 17th, I would prefer to slow down and enjoy the scenery (and crater lake) for the run into Port Orford.

Suggestions where to leave his bike?

I will leave his bike in our cube van at an Airport.

I’ll get the van to Oregon after we finish and haul them home to Florida.
  18. mrstarks2001

mrstarks2001 Ohh, not bad you?

Oddometer:

Boise is a good poke from Ouray and I wouldn't want to just fly through Utah (its some of the best riding on the TAT). I would suggest riding to Moab and taking the UTBDR up to Salt lake city and have him meet you there. SLC airport seems to be really accessible from just about anywhere in the country at a reasonable cost. Maybe contact a shop and leave the bike there? Hope any of this helps.

Happy Travels,

MJ
    TrailBreak likes this.
  19. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Yes. Ouray to Boise is about 5, no more than 6, normal riding days. If you hammered you could do it in 4 long days. If you get sucked into the insane riding around Moab it could take 100 years. Have fun.
  20. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Speaking to some of you that have the experience I am on the tat right now in Oklahoma and need tires. I plan on getting them in Colorado springs or possibly dropping down to Tulsa tomorrow.
    my question is as dry as it has been and the fact that I need to ride back to Virginia do you think a less aggressive tire like tkc70 will be okay for the remainder of the ride on a 1200 GS. I have not had any troubles riding solo to this point and quite honestly feel the knobby tires have been Overkill
    Thinwater likes this.