1. eNewsletter Sign Up

TAT 2020 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Dec 22, 2019.

1. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since I just erased the first half of this post while editing in new rides :baldy, we'll just do the short version from here on out.

Please include your riding plans (Kevin's, Sam's, BDRs), what you ride, any other riders in your party, camping/hotel preference, going solo (are you open to others joining you?), etc.

May 1 - @boulet_boulet - DR650 - departing ME for NC TAT start (MABDR?) - from OR north to catch TCAT back to ME - mostly camping - loooooooong trip!

mid-May - @tarhoo - big bikes (GS1200) - departing West Helena, AR west on a mix of Sam and Kevin's - hoping to reach Salida, CO by early-June.

mid-May - @ATadam - looks like a KLR in your avatar - TAT in sections to CO this season - leisurely pace and all camping - open to others joining

June - @BushPig6 - DR650 - hauling from PA to NC to start TAT then all the way to OR - Sam's and all camping - open to others joining

June - @SATEX - Husky 701 - might meet up with @BushPig6 in the middle somewhere - mostly camping with occasional hotel

June - @illgetthere - DR650 - departing solo from WA on WABDR to IDBDR to TAT east - mostly camping - might divert to Florida but it's a LONG way back to WA!

June - @wnm_82 - 5 riders (2 Honda 650s, 450L, KTM 500, DR650) - picking up in OK and hoping to make it to OR

Mid-June - @E-luke - KTM 690 - flying to NYC to pick up "new-to-you" KTM then headed to NC for TAT west - then down the coast to LA?

late June
    - @523isprime - NY to OR - no bike yet but looking for something small - hoping to join others for epic experience and adventure

Mid-June - @hassonater - CRF250L - NC to OR - mostly camping - looking to join others

Early July- @VStromNC & 1 Other Rider- KTM 690 & DR 650- Starting from Trinidad, CO to TAT Finish Hopefully. Mostly hotel with occasional camping. PM if anyone interested in joining

July - @bikebuster56 - DR650 - departing WA for XC ride to NC - then Kevin's back west - mostly camping - timing to hit CO passes mid-August

Mid-July - @mliers - 2 CRF250s, DRZ400 - departing TN and riding west on Sam's route for 2 weeks then transporting the bikes back

Mid-July - @tempesc - Husky 701 - flying into Toronto from UK (!!!) - heading south to pick up TAT start to finish - then up to Vancouver to fly home - open to camping or hotels - open to joining others for planning and riding

August - @Bmcush - KLR - shipping from CO to VA then riding back to CO

August - @zoink - DR650 - doing it the "right" way this time, east to west (you mean on the "right" bike?)

August - @rrumble - 2 KLRs (maybe the XR650L instead?) - Trinidad to Port Orford and back on a mix of Sam and Kevin's

Mid-August - @Wadmalaw-Rider - shipping 3 bikes from SC to OR to do TAT West to East - if they run out of time, slabbing back to SC

Aug. 29 - @tooofast - 2 KTM 690s - departing Franklin, TN - using a mix if Sam & Kevin tracks - mix of hotels and camping - hoping to get to western CO then store bikes in Las Vegas until next year

Early September - @WalterMitty2 - CRF250L - starting in NC (after getting there from IL) and shooting for the coast - going lightweight so all hotels - not decided on which tracks yet

SEPT 10 - @san1k - I plan on going from NC to end of OK starting September 10th. Prepping my KLX for the trip. Look forward to seeing y'all out there.
    boulet_boulet and sanders446 like this.
  2. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely going to follow along. Did it last summer. Loved it. Gonna follow along vicariously this year.
  3. tarhoo

tarhoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two of us leaving West Helena, AR (where we stopped in 2019) and heading west on a mix of Sam and Kevin's Tracks (game time decisions each day). Big bikes for at least this year. We expect to reach Salida, CO during the first or second week of June, 2020.
  4. BushPig6

BushPig6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No set plans yet, but here’s the plan as of now...

Id like to go in June.

Hauling my DR650 from PA to Western NC area to hop on the TAT. Then, riding all the way to Oregon.

Following Sams route and will be camping the entire time unless bad weather or too cold. Or if there’s cool places to stay. Also, I’ll be visiting my brother in Enid, OK for about 3 days. (Good halfway point.)

Riding solo as of now, but if anyone wants to go—lemme know!

First time with the ride report. Will have plenty of pics. Can’t wait!!!

Attached Files:

Sonny S. and boulet_boulet like this.
  5. illgetthere

illgetthere n00b

Oddometer:
    Planning on a solo west to east trip sometime in June. I'll be using a combination of Sam's gps files and some BDR maps/files. Plan now is to leave home (Auburn, WA), catch the WA BDR in Packwood and ride north to the end of the WA BDR - cut over to ID BDR and ride south until it intersects the TAT and then east. I'll camp most of the time except, well, when I don't. I plan on breaking off the TAT and heading to Florida at some point and will slab it back after a tire change. **The Florida leg is very optional - it's a damn long ride back to WA from FL. Bike: DR650
  6. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    You and your schedule are on my radar. I would meet up in OK, NM, or first part of CO.

Ride a Husky 701 and like to camp with occasional motel.
  7. wnm_82

wnm_82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    5 of us picking up in OK where we left off in 2019. I think June. Not sure work will allow us to run to Oregon in one shot but here's hoping.

2 Honda 650s, 1 450L, 1 KTM 500, and one DR650 (yours truly).
  8. vt700guy

vt700guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Small world... I live a few miles west of Enid.
  9. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You June folks need to to watch the weather and when in June you want to leave. Colorado passes didn't open in 2019 til mid July I believe
  10. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It obviously varies some depending on the pass, but many of them opened very late in 2019. Several closures were extended due to avalanches. This is the site I used to check the status of the passes: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanjuan/maps-pubs/?cid=fsbdev3_002300

This is from September 2019, looking from Animas Forks toward Silverton:
    IMG_0108.JPG
  11. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dualscotty and I rode through that same cut to Silverton 12 hours after it was cleared by bulldozer in mid-August. It was barely wide enough for a truck to get through. That was the last pass to be opened. To our dismay, Black Bear was closed days before we got there from a land slide.

Many places in the Rockies, including Animas Forks, got way more than their normal snowfall last winter which led to the delayed openings. Keep watching for the snow pack reports and that can give you some idea of when the passes will be open.

Also check out this site from last year's TAT post: http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm
    Pete S likes this.
  12. ATadam

ATadam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going to be doing the TAT in sections starting in mid May, probably won’t be doing beyond Colorado until next summer. Going to be going at a leisurely pace and tenting all the time, if anybody wants to tag along feel free. I need to have a flag or something so people know who I am.
  13. BushPig6

BushPig6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, That sounds good. I’ll update again when I have something set in stone.
  14. BushPig6

BushPig6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. BushPig6

BushPig6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice! I’ve been through there on some cross country trips, but only on the street. Looking forward to that slick red dirt, haha.
  16. Bmcush

Bmcush Wildman

Oddometer:
    Hello Inmates

Shipping question. I'm in Colorado and have time this summer to do the TAT from the east coast back to Colorado. I need to find a shipper and a location close to Norfolk, VA I'm thinking. And perhaps a motorcycle store as a ship to point, any recommendations? Ill be solo on a well equipped KLR and am thinking sometime in august of this year. Thanks again Bill
    Davidprej likes this.
  17. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    My go to is Forward Air, IF shipping from and to major airports is doable. It goes in a container to their terminal warehouse, so there's no extra step of getting a receiver arranged.

The cost has always been competitive with other options. Use their container ... with a bit of minor disassembly you can save by using a smaller container than you otherwise would.
    Davidprej likes this.
  18. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    This northern route is a good ride to connect the two BDR's if you haven't already visited the area...

Attached Files:

19. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any preferred place to ship out tires to before or around Trinidad, CO? Not sure I trust shipping them to a hotel and I was looking at UPS stores but they only seem to be open for an hour between 5-6pm in that part of the country. Wondering if there is a better option. Was planning on spooning them on myself but if there is a friendly shop somewhere that is willing to hold on to tires and put them on, all the better.
  20. scanda

scanda Trooper

Oddometer:
    Topar Racing in Trinidad is a TAT supporter. Call them ahead of time and ship what you need there. Great folks!