TAT 2020 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think people camp in different conditions than I do. When I do camp laundry, I definitely need something else to wear the next day. Clothes just don't dry much in humid conditions. So after a couple hours hanging outside, move them into the tent to raise the humidity there. And I'm talking about thin nylon/polyester pants or shirt or thin merino items that won the drip-dry comparisons at home before the trip. Last long trip I took it rained most days for the first 2 weeks. Not so much rain that it was unpleasant, but enough that the humidity remains high. Putting on still-moist clothing may be fine in August, but May in New England or at elevation in the Rockies would be miserable. I wear specific wool socks and they are worse for drying although they're more comfortable when wet than other clothes in all but the coldest conditions.

So I can easily understand 3 pair of socks and 3 of underwear. For other clothes, I want something for warm riding and some layers for cold, knowing that I may have to wear something pretty odd if laundry doesn't work out for a day or 3 or 4.

I remember riding through sleet in Montana in June, and I'll be ready for that kind of weather any time I go on a month-long trip that includes any northern areas. The next day was colder than the day with sleet but it was just rain. I don't plan to stop for 2 days of coffee.
    EZ-D likes this.
  2. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I think "laundry" I think "laundromat". Clean and dry in 90 minutes. Like gas and food, there's always a laundromat around. Never hard to find. I would do that in town every 4th or 5th day either at a hotel where I was staying or at a laundromat in town while I ate nearby or did bike maintenance. I am not thinking hanging wet clothes in a tent.
    EZ-D likes this.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be convenient.

Every laundromat I've used has reeked of dollar-a-barrel floral. The washing machines are bad and the dryers are worse. (EDIT: and the scent stays for weeks through several scent-free washings.)

Usually camp laundry is easy and drying conditions are OK. Usually no need to hang anything in the tent, but that does come up occasionally. I have a net bag so clothes can dry on the back of the bike in short order.

I can count the number of laundromat stops on MC trips on one hand and they were all from necessity. Given reasonable conditions, I'll use my scentless soap.
  4. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    In all of the packlist banter (that I created) I nearly forgot the thread's intent. I am leaving Maine on 4/30 to ride the TAT. I will ride from W. Va to ID and then beyond. Hoping to take the TCAT home.
    PackinDirt likes this.
  5. Addapost

Oddometer:
    It sure it.
  6. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the OP for allowing me to post this. Please PM me for any questions or interest.

I am looking to either join or form a TAT group possibly leaving sometime in July. I am an experienced but also a safe rider in mid 50's. I've completed parts of TAT (From Andrews, NC to near Ozark, AR) in 2017 and in 2018, completed from Ozark, AR to Moab, UT before turning back. I know it's crazy but I just slabbed back on the interstate to get back from Moab to my truck parked at a self storage yard near Ozark, AR. Definitely interested in either shipping the bike back or renting a truck next time as I burned 3.5 or 4 days slabbing back from Moab.

I am open to starting TAT from the official start- Andrews, NC or from Ozark, AR or open to suggestions. I am also open to starting the TAT from Trinidad, CO. I have both Sam's and Kevin's tracks. Sam's tracks is the newer track, few years old, going north near Great Basin National Park to Bonneville Salt Flats versus Kevin's continuing westward. Definitely would like to check out the Salt Flats. I can probably take two weeks off but that would be the max.

Sam vs Kevin.JPG

I just purchased a 2016 but new to me KTM 690R. I am a noob to a KTM 690 and it appears that I have quite a bit of work to do before the bike and I can be ready but July should be doable. My preference is to motel in a nearby town every night or as possible but open.

Any interest, please PM me.

Thanks.

Jon
    sanders446 likes this.
  7. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the discussions we've been having! This is what makes all of our trips successful: sharing our experiences of long-distance, off-road travel. I've been super busy with life and there are a bunch of travel plans to get onto the front page. If nothing else blows up at work, I should have time to get all of your plans posted this weekend.

Thank you to several inmates for clearing potential postings. As I said, this is a place for all of us to share plans, ideas, and experiences. As long as we stay constructive and supportive, I'm good with continuing the way we're going.

Instead of reposting my entire RR conclusion, go to the last page of my TAT RR, "Ox & Pig TAT 2019", and read my wrap up of our ride last August. There is already so much good info here!!!

A couple pages back, there was discussion of tires. I used D606 rear and MT21 front for the whole trip. Maybe a bit soft and there are tires that will last longer but nothing else will stick to just about anything including pavement, sand, wet rocks, roots, mud, etc. This tire combo has NEVER let me down. That's a super fresh D606 on the KLR just installed at the Great Plains Bunkhouse. It replaced a Shitco that barely lasted from NC to OK.

Cross-country on our dirt bikes.JPG
    sanders446, EZ-D and Grinnin like this.
  8. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ox and Pig was such a great RR, thanks for taking the time to do that. Really enjoyed that one.
  9. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Jon @VStromNC ,

That section of Kevin's route through western Utah, past Great Basin National Park, and northwest through Nevada was some of the best riding of the entire trip. Challenging, hot, rocky, desolate, and so different from anything I'd ever ridden. Except for playing for a couple days in the Colorado passes around Ouray (and maybe riding the White Rim Trail in Utah), this was my favorite section of Kevin's 2016 TAT route. You don't realize how mountainous Nevada is until you find out that it's the second most mountainous state behind only Alaska. Truly amazing. When I think back to our trip, my mind drifts back most often to this area of the country.

We had thought about running north from Baker and joining Sam's route up to Bonneville and on into Idaho then over to the coast but we stayed on Kevin's because of time. It would have added several days that we didn't have.
    VStromNC likes this.
  10. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Oh for f#@$s sake!!! One wrong key stroke and half the first post is gone!!!! F____ ME!!!!

I'll fix it and get everyone back in...........
  11. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:

I appreciate the tip. More and more, I am now thinking about starting my third TAT from Trinidad so I can go farther in 2 weeks and hopefully finish. I will keep my eye out for your roll call post to see if I can join a group. I agree with others that doing TAT in one continuous trip would be far better but I just can't take that much time off from work.

Thanks.

Jon
  12. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Two weeks is enough to get from Trinidad to Port Orford. That is definitely worth doing if you have only two weeks, that's the best of the TAT.
    PackinDirt likes this.
  13. zoink

zoink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In response to the post, by the right way I mean riding East to West. Last year we were traveling "backwards" West to East. And yes in a way on the right bike in the sense that hopefully it will be reliable :p.
    PackinDirt and SATEX like this.
  14. Bmcush

Bmcush Wildman

Oddometer:
    I just discovered GPS Kevin and he has tracks. Already bought Sams tracks, should i have both? Ill be on a KLR lightly packed and will only go as far as Colorado ( home) this year. Whatca guys using?
  15. Addapost

Oddometer:
    I had both. In my opinion there is no real reason to have both until you get to the big passes of Colorado. East of that the two sets mostly overlap. They diverge and intertwine a bit as well. Where they diverged I sometimes took Kevin's and sometimes took Sam's. I didn't find any quantifiable differences between the two. Both run on the same types of roads in the same areas. In Colorado, Sam has a couple big passes and Kevin has a couple others. It's worth having both sets there if you want to hit all the big passes. After that, in Utah, Nevada, Idaho, and Oregon they become very very different.
  16. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used a mixture of both tracks. Did the new track of the TAT (Idaho Routing) backwards. If interested take a look at my report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tat-old-and-new-mixed.1361161/
    Kevin's route is basically the old route of Sam. I would not want to miss the Nevada part which is no longer on Sam's new track.

There is also somewhere a comparison of Sam's and Kevin's track. Overlaid on google maps. That way you see differences. Just don't know how current that is.
    EZ-D likes this.
  17. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first is kevin and sams tracks overlaid/ The second is sams full TAT with the pacific spur.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Great graphics Scott.
  19. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since I am leaving so early in the season, anyone have good lower elevation alternatives to the higher mountain passes or suggestions about where to look for alternate routes? I think the chances of some of the passes being closed when I get there are pretty high.
    E-luke likes this.
  20. Bmcush

Bmcush Wildman

Oddometer:
    Yeah west of Colorado is where i too see the big difference amongst the two map programs. Ive got plenty of time just wondering which would be the most difficult. Would love to ride in the Nevada montains, but would also like to see Idaho and western Oregon, ie the "Oregon trail"? Colorado is no big deal. Lived here over 20 years and my son and I have seen about everything. Maybe I'll get Kevins and stick it on my phone for a look