TAT 2020 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Dec 22, 2019.

1. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    For waterproof over-gloves, I cheaped out and the second time I put them on, my thumb blew through the seam. I stepped up to another pair for around $50 and they work great. Dianese, maybe? I use Mechanix gloves for summer dirt riding and they slip right over. The long gauntlet has a drawstring to seal to the jacket. Pack down small and are also good for cool mornings. No need for a second, heavy pair of gloves. Another lesson in "you get what you pay for".
  2. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Colorado snow pack.PNG

Recent report on the snow pack percentages in Colorado. This gives some indication of when the passes will be open. Remember that last year, the state as a whole, had over 600% of their normal snowfall. To me this looks like the passes will be open much earlier this year than last. Barring any late season snow surprises.
  3. BushPig6

BushPig6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good news—Fingers crossed. I decided right around July 1st to head out.
  4. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think a big part of the problem last year was the severity and locations of the avalanches. Obviously that is directly related to the amount of snow but that's not entirely because of the snowfall totals. All sorts of factors involved with avalanches. I was blown away at some of the avalanche damage I saw on the TAT in Colorado last July.
    Jedi2Rider and CBBaron like this.
  5. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    DualScotty and I were in Animas Forks in mid-August last year and they had just cleared the last avalanche from the route north to Silverton THE DAY WE WERE ON THE MOUNTAIN. The previous day it was closed. Scotty was in front of me so I grabbed a hand full of snow on the way by and chucked it at him. Missed him... Something about dodging wet, slimy rocks and tree debris on our way through the snow chasm. Probably not gonna happen this year. Shaping up to be an early spring in the Northeast as well.
    Bmcush likes this.
  6. tooofast

tooofast Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're in for 2020. Two of us have a timeline to be off work and a start point, but the rest is fluid. We'll be leaving out of Franklin TN on Saturday 29th of August and heading west using a mix of Sams and Kevin's routes on a pair of KTM 690's with Safari Tanks. We plan to camp and motel 50/50 depending on the weather and where we end up at the end of a day, like i said fluid. Both of us are early 50s and ride a bit of dual sport but are by no means experts. We usually ride 990's, 1200gs's and 1190s so the 690's seem pretty light in comparison, we took the big bikes on some easy multi state dual sport trips last year and massively over packed, as is common on huge bikes. We have taken this to heart.

Our plan is try to get to, or better yet though Colorado hitting a few of the bigger passes that , weather depending. (remember we are starting in TN) To do this we think we'll slab most of Oklahoma/Kansas for 2 reasons. We have limited time off and (no disrespect, it does not look like a very exciting part of the trip) and if i can get to the edge of UT at the end of the 2 weeks its a short hop for me to get back to Vegas as i have a place i can leave the bikes and collect later. Next year we'll pick up where we left off and finish up the Oregon part. With regards to shipping bikes we are going to use https://www.veteransrideshare.com/ they ship anything and this will be our 3rd time using them from TN to Vegas and back and also a Rochester NY to Vegas, flawless. Really good service and communication and helping those that have served. I highly recommend them and they were as competitive as anyone else.

Gear wise we are going with MX boots, ADV pants, MX armor under ADV jackets with the armor removed. This way we can ride with MX shirts on in heat but still have all the protection and slip in the jackets for when on the blacktop. We picked this set up reading that most people suffer from heat more than anything else, but we are always open to suggestions.

So my question is really about timing, is it reasonable to start in the middle of TN and get though Colorado (again always depending on weather) and doing at least 2 big passes in 15 days?

Thanks
    Dave
    BushPig6 and Jedi2Rider like this.
  7. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great plan. As for timing, I just looked over my ride notes from last summer. I was in the middle of Tennessee on July 9th and in Ouray Colorado on July 21st after doing the big passes. That includes doing all of Oklahoma (I loved Oklahoma) not slabbing it. Plus there were 2 zero days at my buddy's house in Colorado Springs. So that's 13-2= 11 riding days. I'd say your schedule is fine. Have a great trip.

Attached Files:

Jedi2Rider, tooofast and WalterMitty2 like this.
  8. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What GPS unit(s) are you using? Love to see your set up...what unit, and how you mounted since you are on more of a DS bike versus an ADV bike.

I'm shooting for a 1/3 TAT, East Coast to AR in early Sep. If I go, I will look for your names in the TAT book. I'm in ILL, so was thinking about doing a one way rental where I drive self and bike to the Coast, get as far as I'm willing, and then look for another one way rental.
  9. tooofast

tooofast Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    tooofast,

I think your timing and gear set-up is good. Stick to the TAT tracks until just past Tulsa, OK, then hit the blue highways (not interstate) out to the Great Plains Bunkhouse. You'll see the same thing and it won't be dusty. Sorry, can't condone 350 miles of flat gravel just to say the track was followed. The passes in CO might get chilly in mid-Sept but should be doable.

Stay home, stay safe.
    tex68w, EZ-D and tooofast like this.
  11. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Guess Colorado has gotten a little more snow in the last month. The latest report:

Colorado snowpack.PNG
    BushPig6 and tooofast like this.
  12. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    Agreed! We did the Alpine Loop last July and the avalanches from the 500 year snow were just mind blowing, whole sections of mountain side were tooth picks or even less. We waited for the crew to come down from the climb up to Cinnamon out of Lake City, we were the first ones to make the pass after it opened for the season from being cleared. And it was just barely cleared, there were trees stacked 10ft tall right up to the edge of the road/trail. I was amazed at how much snow was still around and south of Animas Forks on 2 near Picayne Gulch was still blocked by 1000+ yds of 30+ ft deep snow when we were there.
    Addapost likes this.
  13. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    Inmate @gentimmy and myself are going to start the TAT this summer. We plan to break it up into five sections and cover the entire thing one section at time over the course of two years. We wish we could do it all at once but work, relationships, and a multitude of other responsibilities and commitments just won't allow us 25+ days to tackle it all at once. We are looking to start at the coast in NC (not messing with the ferries) and finish up on the TN/MS border in 5-6 days for our first section. Hopefully MS/AR (section two) will follow in early November.

As of right now we are planning for sometime early to mid June, everything is on a flex schedule with no committed exact start date just yet due to the obvious madness and uncertainty of everything at the moment. We will be on smaller bikes (WR250R and a CRF 450L) and we will be grabbing hotel rooms along the way. We want to run the bikes as light and clutter free as possible so we aren't going to carry camping gear. I think we are going to run Kevin's tracks but that hasn't been decided just yet and it isn't a big issue for the eastern and central portions anyways.

If anyone has any suggestions on alternative starting points along the coast in NC or any other input for NC and TN I am all ears.
  14. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    If you're going to follow Kevin's anyway, just follow his track from the coast. I can say that the rest of the Kevin tracks we followed from NC/TN all the way to Oregon were fun.
    gentimmy likes this.
  15. tex68w

tex68w Mister Bevilaqua

Oddometer:
    Do you suggest his track or Sam's? I have no bias or preference nor am I aware of whether or not one is preferred.
    EZ-D likes this.
  16. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Off-topic comments removed with apologies.
  17. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Awesome to hear about your trip plans. I'm planning on an early September start for a 1/3 (or more) TAT. I too have a Honda CRF250L, plan to pack lite, and only do hotels. I think I can get two weeks off, and hope to get from NC to at least AR. I will probably do Kevin's tracks, but that is still TBD. I am still wrestling with getting a GPS or just using my phone....I am starting to lean towards the GPS with phone as a back up. I'm leaning towards a Garmin Zumo 396 and wiring it into provided accessory plug that comes with the bike.

Since I am located in the Chicagoland area, just getting to the start is a big trip itself. My current plan is to rent a one-way rental from home to the start and just drive myself and the bike to the start. In terms of starting, I have zero desire to go all the way to Cape Hatteras (sp?) and mess with ferries. From some input from other inmates on here, the current plan is just get to the Emerald Isle and try and get a wheel in the ocean. If not...it will be just a pic of my hand and/or boot in the water.
  18. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Insight? This topic has been discussed ad nauseam. This thread is about people planning to ride the "TAT" in 2020. There are lots of variations, and which variation folks choose is applicable here also. What doesn't fit, is WHY there are different routes. What seems absolutely inappropriate for this thread is discussion of topics related to the "why," such as ethics, property rights, etc.
    PackinDirt likes this.
  19. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. I take your point and will edit my post accordingly.
    EZ-D likes this.
  20. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    I, too, have weighed in on the Sam vs. Kevin issue many times. Not here, though. There are many other forum strings that deal with this.

In my research for the TAT, starting in 2015, I was aware of the mild conflict. Fast forward four years to 2019 and we ended up taking all Kevin's '16 tracks with very few issues. All I can share with you is my direct experience with Kevin's tracks. And I think he's updated some of them since '16 but that's what I bought at the time.

Some stuff to check out while we wait:
    Interesting Google Map comparison - http://www.gpskevinadventurerides.com/trans-america-trail/trans-america-trail-compairson
    Started in '13 with entries up to Aug. '19 - https://advrider.com/f/threads/tat-difference-between-sam-and-gpskevin.926004/
    Started in '17 - https://advrider.com/f/threads/tat-whose-tracks.1236991/

Definitely stay curious and I urge you to research this topic on your own but let's keep this thread about this year's travel plans.
    tex68w and EZ-D like this.