TAT 2020 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Brockb4

Brockb4 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Everone,
    I'm looking to do a cross country motocamping trip. I posted in here about a week ago with a potential route and got some great feedback and recomendations so thank you. Now, I have revised the plan and looking for some company. My current plan (although flexible) is to start in charlotte and take the TAT west until Utah. From Utah I would like to divert and go north up to yellowstone (maybe a little bit of a backtrack) then on to Washington and WABDR to portland.

Along the way I want to jump off once in a while to check out certain cities and maybe spend some time on the highways in the begginning, just to speed up the process and get more time out west. I plan to leave NC on august 8th (unfortunately this is only slightly flexible).

Along the way, I would really like to do pikes peak in CO, and dunes (havent picked which ones yet).
    I'm an intermediate rider but new to camping.
    I would love company even if just for a little bit. Message me with any interest or new recommendations, the last post was very helpful and thank you to everyone who provided assisstance.
    Happy Riding
    -Brock.
    BushPig6 and boulet_boulet like this.
  2. Bill Dirt

Bill Dirt Trooper

Oddometer:
    Utah BDR North from Green River would be a good way north to Yellowstone. Have fun in Yellowstone lol....too many humans.
  3. Brockb4

Brockb4 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the hint. Yeah I just wanted to putt through Yellowstone for a day. It was kind of just on the way to big sky but don’t plan on doing much but enjoying the ride while passing through
    ROYAL COACHMAN likes this.
  4. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been to YNP over a dozen times, its well worth a visit...…………………………..especially on a bike!!
  5. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely get the BDR tracks for Utah and CO. That along with the "shadow of the rockies" from TAT website provide several options in that part of the country to connect POIs.
  6. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning an East Coast departure May 25th, driving...yes driving... towards Port Orford. (I'm on the East Coast with family during the Covid outbreak while my bike rests in LA.)

Assuming Colorado passes are closed, I'll adjust my route accordingly. Maybe I'll be able to add another BDR, such as Utah or Nevada, along the way. (It won't really count in a 4x4 but consider it a 'scout' for future rides :))

I came here looking for info on Sam vs Kevin and found a can of worms right up there with the "What Oil?" threads. Ha ha ha... I'll just figure that out offline :)) That said, I don't really know the best place to start the trail. I'm not going all the way out to Hatteras just to get a selfie then turn around and drive 200 miles of pavement to the forest roads. Where is a good place in the Southeast to Start?

Hope to meet you out there provided that the Orange Man, the Governors and Mayors and, most importantly, the medical community let us go outside to play again.
    EZ-D and Pete S like this.
  7. tarhoo

tarhoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interstate to around Charlotte, NC and start west - mountains start just about there. just one man's opinion. We did late may last year and there was only one point that would have challenged a jeep between the NC mountains and the Mississippi, and that was rutted out mud in MS. Should be fun.
    95Monster likes this.
  8. Achro

Achro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been planning a mid-June departure for the past year. With this virus I’m not so sure it would be responsible.

Has anyone here delayed their plans yet?
  9. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have. I was going to leave with a buddy this coming Thursday. Obviously that’s impossible and not advisable at this point. The new hope is that we can leave in August.
    Achro likes this.
  10. spdtrpl

spdtrpl Red Coat MagnoliaTx

Oddometer:

Me too.
    My buddy and I had planned to complete our TAT riding the Oklahoma to Oregon sections starting around May/June.
    Hopefully we will get to finish it this year, given the current uncertainties we haven’t yet set a date
    Achro likes this.
  11. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    June 6th-27th riding my R1200GS. I live in northern Va. so pretty easy for me to meet up with anyone at the beginning. I would like to camp as much as possible but definitely will hit a hotel now and again for a nice shower. So far it's just me. Messaged Bushpig and hoping that we can work something out.
  12. Clutchmx674

Clutchmx674 Chris O’Neal

Oddometer:
    I’m looking for anyone leaving from the Northeast as I’m in CT and almost ready to leave. Please let me know as I’d rather go with at least one other rider. Thanks
  13. BushPig6

BushPig6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving from PA (Poconos) area. Playing it by ear for now and hoping things get back to normal.
  14. thed00d

thed00d n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm ready to leave in about two weeks, still waiting to see how things pan out with the virus. I'll be heading South from South Dakota on a DRZ doing about 200 miles per day. Likely heading east on the TAT once I reach Kansas.
    Natgeo14, 95Monster and FireDog45 like this.
  15. onestroke

onestroke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same page. Planned a June 2 departure, delayed to late August
  16. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Four of us are meeting up in Trinidad at the end of July to finish the Western TAT to Port Orford. Hopefully, by end of July, things will have reopened. Obviously, playing by ear but we are all getting ready.
    2 KLR's, 1 Husky 701 and a KTM 690.

Jon
    seasider likes this.
  17. Nissantech

Nissantech n00b

Oddometer:
    Myself on a KLR with a brother and a few friends on AT, DMZ 400 and Honda Rally 250 are going to jump on the TAT at Winchester TN and ride west to the end of the TN maps. Hope to start on Memorial Day and take 3 days to complete. Planing on staying in hotels and enjoying the sceneries.
  18. tarhoo

tarhoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning to start at the Mississippi River on Friday - anybody on the TAT have a report on conditions? Trail report and accommodations availability? COVID issues with getting fed, etc?
  19. zoink

zoink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious about this as well. We encountered some private property gates on the section we did last year in UT.
  20. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When do you plan on leaving? I am doing the TAT June 6th -26th