TAT 2021 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back by popular demand!!! It's the TAT '21 roll call page! Let's hope for more favorable riding conditions this year. Be safe, be kind, smile, and have a great ride. Remember that adversity and adventure share a lot of the same attributes. Overcoming them both is the hallmark of a great rider. Always be ambassadors for our sport!

Same format as in past years: departure date and location, alone or group (how many), type of bike, camping vs. hotels, side trips, Sam vs. Kevin (new or old tracks), BDRs, and finish location. Other good information: If riding solo, are you open to other riders joining you? Never ride alone!!! It's simply not safe. Gotta add my pitch for safe riding.

I also need to urge everyone to follow all C-19 recommendations and precautions. Although motorcycling is inherently the perfect socially distanced activity, not everyone appreciates out-of-state travelers. Vermont's a very small state but I'm not leaving until we get the "all clear" to travel again. Just my two cents since I have the soap box.

Speaking of safe riding, I'll use this opportunity to strongly suggest getting some sort of Wilderness First Aid training before heading out for an extended trip. Please explore the two-day classes offered by NOLS or SOLO. The information they teach might save your life or that of another rider.

To keep this page on topic, just discussion of current plans and current conditions please.

THERE ARE FIRES BURNING IN THE WEST! SEVERAL SECTIONS IN OREGON ARE BEING AFFECTED. CHECK OUT THESE TWO WEBSITES FOR FIRE UPDATES AND PLAN YOUR ROUTES ACCORDINGLY:
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/
    National Fire Situational Awareness (nwcg.gov)

March 16 - @Natgeo14 - picking up a 650 in Oregon and headed for Iowa - did anyone mention that it's still winter? Good luck!

Late April - @RuckedUp - 690R - TN to Tulsa and San Antonio then back to TAT - Flagstaff, Phoenix, and back to TAT in UT - Vegas, UFOs, who knows? - mostly camping

Early Summer - @350R - F650GS Dakar - solo from WV to Idaho - camping - flexible dates - open to other riders

Summer/Flexible - @loosethread - DR650 - In AL, has 2.5 weeks to ride, looking to join other riders

Summer/Flexible - @levain - solo on 690R - departing Vermont to start in TN - Sam '15 track - headed for Las Vegas or CA and leaving bike in storage - open to other riders w/ occasional solo time

Summer/Flexible - @DR.Bones26 - DR350SE - departing Mobile, AL, to start TAT in Batesville, MS, then heading west - camping - 29 days to ride

Early May - @WrecklessRiggs - departing FL for TN then TAT west - mostly camping

Late May - @jpollock - XR650R & KLR650 - departing NC on Sam's tracks - mostly camping - open to other occasional riders - stopping in Denver (home) for R & R

Late May (update) - @monkeydad - started as a solo trip on 450L - now father/son on Ural GearUp (!) - Sam's tracks - wife may follow in 4Runner w/ dogs - camping

May 28 - @tarhoo - 1200GS & GSA - departing West Helena, AR, to end in Salida, CO, in a week - mostly Sam's - hotels w/ some camping

May 29 - @Shelby88 - 1090 - AR to OK - taking it slow - camping - open to other riders joining

May/June - @816realbbq - departing solo from MO to pick up Sam TAT in OK - 4 Corners to either Sam TAT Rockies or COBDR then WY, Black Hills, SD - generally "easy" - mostly camping

June 5 - @Tchristmas - DR350 - departing Atlanta solo for Oregon - mostly camping with some hotels

Early June - @Jedi2Rider - KLX300 - WV to OR on Sam's @ medium pace - mostly camping - occasional side trips - open to other riders (if we get along) - looking to share trucking from UT to WV on or around June 1

Mid-June - @Bearded Hooligan - Husky 501, KTM 690, DRZ - hoping to pick up TAT in TN for points west - 30 days round trip of mostly camping - considering parts of UTBDR

Mid-June - @brad21 - 2 KTM790s - Kevin's new tracks - departing Eureka, NV, and heading all the way to New York - then on to MI - open to other riders

Mid-June - @mjurchak - Tenere 700 (!) - departing MA for NE & MABDRs to start TAT in NC - Sam and Kevin's - meandering to Oregon coast then taking northerly route back home - mostly camping

Mid-June - @kought - Tulsa to SLC to pick up a bike from an inmate - 5-6 days - open to other riders

Mid-June - @AFHans - R1200GSA - Deal's Gap to Port Orford - Sam's '18 track - mostly camping - going solo

June 23 - @jlynch - 7 (!) riders - 5 TW200, 2 XT250 - departing TN on Sam's - slow and really slow - mostly camping - stopping for fairs, festivals, and baseball games - hopefully making it to the Rockies, maybe the coast - open to more riders

June 24 - @rocketman1098S - 3 riders on XR650Ls (go Big Red!!!) - departing NC - TAT out and back roads back - flexible schedule - mostly camping w/ some hotels

June 26 - @Motochimp - KTM 890 - departing Asheville, NC - Kevin's to Utah then Sam's to Port Orford - mostly camping - first big adventure!

June 27 - @anelog272 - Honda Trail CT125 (!) - Sam's track solo from Asheville, NC, to CO to meet another rider - hopefully finishing in Port Orford - mostly camping w/ some hotels

June 29 - @rainsux - west to east on Sam's - steel cager in a Taco OR - satellite locators on board - go, Go, TACO!

Late June - @DirtLegs - Elephant National Forest Explorer (look it up) - NC coast to Port Orford - 3.5-4 months planned - @ Green River, UT, north on UTBDR to Sam's Pacific spur to the coast - mostly camping

Early July - @Rick3742 - KLX300R - departing Alva, OK, for OR - camping and hotels - open to other riders

Early July - @ride.climb.dream - XT225 - VA west on Sam's with Kevin's in reserve - maybe some western BDRs - camping and traveling light

July 4 - @Oh2RideMore - WR250R, KLX250 - departing Eureka Springs, AR, for the east coast on Sam's tracks - 2 weeks out and back - mostly camping with occasional hotels for showers

July 9 - @thirsty 1 - 4 riders (1190R, 1250GSA, 1290R, 1200GS Rally) - departing Port Orford and heading east on Kevin's tracks - going as far as time will allow - adding another rider in NV - experienced long-distance group doing mostly camping - open to other drop-in/drop-out riders

July 10 - @mootsuno - F650 Dakar, XR650L, 701, AT - departing CA for Port Orford to follow Sam's new track - then Sam's old track to UT - then, well, read the post on page 8 (it gets complicated from here) - mostly camping

Mid-July - @cteunuch - 1190 Adv R - departing OR to arrive in MA by mid-Aug - Kevin's new route - starting new job in MA!

July 16 - @PA Slammer - F800GS or 350EXC-F - starting in CO headed east for a month

July 17 - @523isprime - DRZ400 - departing Brooklyn, NY, on Kevin's to connect w/ Sam's in WV - slow and solo for now

July 25 - @Ikeya-Seki - KTM 790R - NC to Port Orford, OR - mostly camping - Sam/Kevin and some BDR side trips but definitely NV - then Coronado, CA & trying to figure out how to get back to NH - solo but open to other riders joining

Late July - @Xjhammer - 1190R - taking a long time on the road - departing NY for NEBDR then TAT west on Kevin's - lots of detours for passes, canyons, and BDRs - back home by Nov.

July 31 - @Aces&8s - KLR650 - departing solo from NC on Sam and Kevin's tracks with 45 days to burn - @ Moab, south to Monument Valley and Medicine Hat then back on TAT to Port Orford - mostly camping - might ride back through Glacier and Badlands NPs

Late July/Early August - @Socal996 - XT250 - UHaul from MT to start in NC and finish in OR - Sam & Kevin - on the slow train to enjoy the ride - camping/hotels - looking for someone to share drive from MT to NC

July/August - @leeleeradio - XR650L - mostly camping w/ some hotels - NM to OR - open to riders and diversions through WY or UT

Aug 1 - @Eastflorida - Tenere 700 - cancer research fund raising website to be launched soon - leaving solo from FL connecting to original TAT all the way to Battle Rock - camping and hotels - hoping to add other riders

Aug 1 - @BHM Nomad - 2 Tenere 700 - father & son - Nag's Head to Cape Hatteras then Kevin's to OR - mostly camping

Aug 1 - @saf144 - (2) KLX250s - departing Mississippi for Oregon - the bikes will be for sale at the end of August - fully outfitted with racks and bags - good price

Aug 7 - @Natgeo14, @jdunay - G650, DRZ400 - Trinidad, CO, to points west on Kevin's - may do additional tracks in CO & UT - PLB on board - mostly stealth camping - open to other riders on similar bikes

Mid-Aug - @zoink - DR650 - EDIT: now going E to W then shipping from Seattle - going solo but willing to ride w/ others - eastern sections quickly to enjoy western sections - 25 days to ride

Sept sometime - @Retumbo7 - G650GS, 701SM - Chicago to NV - may slab to save time

Early Sept - @Natgeo14 - G650X - may do some playing around on CO & UTBDRs - mostly camping - open to other riders joining

Sept 20 - @Boots1 - Tiger 800 - Trinidad to most of Utah in a week - Sam's - mostly camping

Sept 28 - @VStromNC - DR650, 690R - Moab/Greenriver to end of TAT on Kevin's - end of multi-year TAT-in-sections journey
    Natgeo14, brad21, BunnyBoy and 3 others like this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    When to expect Imogene to open, August?
  3. 816realbbq

816realbbq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Assuming a widely available vaccine, and remaining in my own good health, I'm headed out from Western Missouri in May/June to:
    take I-35 South out of MO/KS,
    pick up the Sam TAT near central OK,
    ride it west to the four corners area,
    go north into Colorado either Sam TAT Rockies route or pieces of Colo BDR,
    coming north into Wyoming, taking the TAT north through Wyoming into the SD Black Hills and then across SD and Minnesota until it intersects Interstate 35.

Generally doing the "easy bypass" type areas or avoiding "expert only" sections.

This is a solo trip planned simply because I don’t personally know anyone else interested in this type of trip. Open to meeting up with people along the way. The journey is the destination. No big hurry, and not dead set on banging out miles for the sake of miles.

Mostly camping. Planning on 10-14 days.

Riding a Triumph Scrambler so basically need a big bike friendly style route.
  4. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    It all depends on how much snow they get in Colorado and how early spring comes. Here's a website to keep an eye on: http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm. Another one: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/co/snow/products/. Click on the "Colorado Snowpack Update Map". This was useful in '19 when the area had record snowfalls (100+ feet of snow covered Animas Forks), avalanches, and subsequent flooding. The last pass to be opened between Animas Forks south to Silverton was finally bulldozed clear when we were there in mid-August. But that was a crazy year. Best to use local intel as weather conditions change constantly. You really can't say for sure that such-and-such pass will be open by such-and-such a date.

There are lots of inmates in that neck of the woods that post updates on what's open as the season progresses.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  5. Eastflorida

Eastflorida n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm planning Aug 1. New Smyrna Beach, FL - connecting to the original TAT and on to Battle Rock.

I have 5 weeks to work with - not sure I have enough time. I will ride west for 4 weeks, then turn around to slab it back home.

Will be riding a Tenere' 700
    Combination camping and hotels
    Hoping to have some riders with me and not solo! LOL
    My first time on a trip like this so I'm excited and nervous. I don't want to carry too much, but I don't want to find myself needing something and not having it.

I'll be posting an official announcement after the New Year with my fund raising efforts.

Look forward to connecting with other TAT riders and hope to raise as much money as I can for Lung Cancer research. LC is the number one killer of the various cancers. TAT4LC Flyer.jpg
  6. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Three of us departing South Georgia mid-June not sure of our starting place yet. Some want the beach in NC, but I would prefer starting in TN to maximize time out west. Possibly include UT BDR and WA BDR into the route if time allows. Planning on 30 days or so round trip. Ill be on Husky 501, joined by a 690 and a DRZ. We will be camping as much as possible. Any thoughts on doing the UT BDR instead of the TAT route through Utah? Miss anything cool? Seems like the UT BDR would be more challenging.
  7. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Oh, there's plenty of challenging riding on the TAT through Utah. High elevation 2-track, canyon bottom dry wash, steep ascents and descents. Utah was everything I expected from riding west of the Rockies. When going through Moab, take a day and do the White Rim Road/Trail. Shouldn't be missed. Truly spectacular ride. I can't speak directly to the UTBDR but you'll be very entertained staying on the TAT in Utah. Besides, how would you get to Nevada?

If you've ridden in the East most of your life, maximize your riding time out west by starting as far west as possible. Tennessee at least. Everything is fairly easy until you get to the Rockies. Then it gets really interesting.

Is your goal to say that you've ridden more miles of the TAT or have a really memorable ride out west? Your choice...
  8. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    The current TAT route does not go through Nevada.

[​IMG]
    Glenn247 likes this.
  9. Ljislink

Ljislink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody up for doing any part of Oregon TAT I'd be up for that ? Pretty much open on dates. I've never ridden it & have no idea what it's like I'm on a Triumph 900 Tiger so big bike friendly is what I'd be into.
  10. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was thinking of their older routes. Both Kevin and Sam's older TAT routes were a bit more challenging. We followed Kevin's '16 route (that does go through Nevada and a tip of California before finishing in Oregon) and it was all the challenge Scotty and I wanted.

Both TAT route creators have admitted to "softening" the newer tracks in response to riders wanting to take bigger ADV bikes on slightly less challenging rides cross-country. The tracks have been out long enough that some riders should have feedback on the newer routes and how difficult they are. Perhaps even discussed on other forums. I was happy with the route we took, I plan on taking that route again in '22, and so I haven't done the research into alternatives.
  11. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From everything I've read and seen myself I am 99.99% positive the Utah BDR is more challenging than Sam's TAT. I did the TAT solo in July 2019. I bought Sam's tracks and had both the UTBDR and Kevin's tracks on my phone. In Utah I did a mish-mash of all three. Where Sam's Colorado tracks end in Monticello I got on UTBDR section 2. There are actually 3 versions of that BDR section, Lockhart Basin (very hard), LaSal Pass (bit easier), or Geyser Pass (least difficult). I took LaSal Pass. Then I also did Utah BDR #3 as far as Green River. I don't know what I missed from Sam's but I can tell you that section and a half of the Utah BDR was by far the best riding and best scenery of the entire 7000 mile trip. After Green River I took a few dozen miles of Kevin's track through Black Dragon Canyon which really shouldn't be missed. Then I finally got on Sam's section 3 where it crosses I70. From there, Sam's sections 3 (north of I70), 4, 5, 6, and 7 to the Nevada border near Baker were also spectacular. Utah is mind blowing.
    RememberTheFallen, 350R and thirsty 1 like this.
  12. Ikeya-Seki

Ikeya-Seki Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    "departure date and location, alone or group (how many), type of bike, camping vs. hotels, side trips, Sam vs. Kevin (new or old tracks), BDRs, and finish location. Other good information: If riding solo, are you open to other riders joining you? Never ride alone!!" - PackinDirt.

25July - 02 Aug, beginning NC - finishing Port Orford, OR. KTM 790R, Mostly Camping, either Sam & Kevin's route (definitely Nevada) other "side trips": NEBDR, MABDR, ORDR, WABDR, IDBDR, NVBDR to CABDR. Then to Coronado, CA before figuring out how to get back to New Hampshire. Planning to ride solo, open to sharing the trail where it fits. Planning thread if interested: https://advrider.com/f/threads/big-...1-u-s-dirty-dirty-ride.1471514/#post-41095596
  13. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Myself and 3 others will be heading west to east starting at the Pacific Ocean, Port Orford July 10. We're a miserable group with a 1190r - me, a new 1250 GSA, a new 19' 1290r, and a 1200 GS Rallye. The new bikes are good because the old bikes were worn out so (hopefully) less worry - Then picking up a 800gs somewhere in Nevada, who's coming from Twin Falls (Andrew). I met Andrew last year on the IDBDR and we were both solo so we helped each other out along the way. We're a Pop in Pop out bunch so if your inclined you're welcome to come along. We are campers with the occasional RV park for a shower. The 3 of us have been on multiple multi week trips from the Continental Divide to AK/Yukon, Nevada, and all over. I got 3 weeks, one has a couple months, one with 10 days and the others _____ who knows!!

We'll be running Kevins Tracks so I'm thinking Arkansas will be max travel for 3 weeks. Unfortunately there will be fires so routes will change accordingly.

Trans America Trail - gpsKevin Adventure Rides
    outdoorsman and Whodatschrome like this.
  14. loosethread

loosethread saddle up

Oddometer:
    Looking to try part of the TAT summer 2021, have about 2 1/2 weeks or so. I’m in Alabama looking to tag along don’t have set dates. Riding DR650. Any inmates near Montgomery?
    DR.Bones26 and Smitkev2 like this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is Sam's route, right?
  16. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  17. Aces&8s

Aces&8s Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gonna give it a go in Aug '21. I have 45 days and will be running both Sam's and Kevin's routes. Currently plan on being solo on a KLR and camping the majority of the time. Would like to break from the trail once I hit Moab and head south to see monument valley and Mexican hat then continue on to Port Orford. Not sure how I'm getting back to NC yet. Considering riding back to see Glacier and Badlands. Then backroads the rest of the way back home. Long story short--there is no real plan other than get on the TAT, head west til I hit the pacific and then turn around and head home.
  18. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoping to do it this summer, but still too early to tell. I'll be riding solo, but open to meeting others, but only if you're ok with splitting up occasionally. This introverted rider likes time alone is all. Leaving Vermont south of Burlington on a KTM 690. Thinking I'd book it south to Tennesse or so, maybe in a one way uhaul.

I bought Sams tracks in 2015 hoping to do it that summer, but life got in the way. Has it changed much in the last 6 years?

I'll likely get out west and make my way to Vegas or California to store the bike. Not sure it's ever coming back to the east coast.
    350R likes this.
  19. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Yes, the published TAT tracks from both Sam and Kevin have changed recently. The roads are still there for older tracks, obviously, but the routing is different in the newer tracks.

The updated gps files don't cost that much and it might be handy to have the new ones as well. Think about what you pay for accessories and it's not much comparatively. And they don't take up any packing space.
  20. 350R

350R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Early Summer 21. WV to Idaho. No exact date. Solo but would love company. '07 F650GS Dakar. Camping through. I just found this thread! Awesome! Unsure what route to buy. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!