TAT 2021 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tarhoo

tarhoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Conditions update. Lots of Mud in Oklahoma but super nice people. I flatted, damaging the rim, in the middle of nowhere. Posted on the local (Tulsa) thread and several people responded with offers of help. In the end @Dirt2007 and @DirtyDog drove two hours round trip to bring me a tire, plus help fix the rim and mount the new rubber (on a holiday to boot). Many thanks to the others including John who were also there for me.

So, mud. It has been very wet and some bits of oklahoma were impassable once the land got flat. We sidetracked on the asphalt for a whole day (in the rain) and jumped back on in western OK. After one unscheduled dismount (mud), we started judging the conditions of the roads by how much gravel there was on them, and making some judgements about how strictly to stick to the course. Anything that was "pure dirt/no gravel" was horrific.

We did New Mexico today. I have done it before. It is muddy but not a horror show, and we only skipped the nasty ascent out of the canyon (the squiggly bit right before the colorado border - it is a steep, rocky track when dry and I didn't even consider it today). We went around and missed maybe 15 miles of the official tracks.

The road from the colorado border into Trinidad is beautiful and was being graded today. Mud patches will catch you unaware and the surface is mushy and can lull you into inattention then bite you. We both had surprise "mud wiggles" and had to take it slow, but a week of dry weather and it will be fast and dependable.

All the above done on fully loaded GSs, and neither of us are ninjas. Take it easy and it is doable (except for anything not gravelled in Western Oklahoma, just ditch that until it dries out. I couldn't have done that part on my dirt bike unloaded and had any fun.
  2. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the conditions update Tarhoo. That is great they came out to help you over the holiday
    AFHans likes this.
  3. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an opinion on what are the best tires to use for the TAT?

I wanted to get the Goldentyre 723 rear tire but it looks like they are pretty hard to get in the USA.
  4. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are literally dozens of discussion threads about tires and the TAT. Where are you going? How far are you going? How long do you expect a tire to last? Who's tracks? What time of the year? Do you want a tire that will last 5000 miles or are you changing tires half way? What have you used in the past? What works for you on your bike?

There is no one "TAT" tire. I used the tried and true combo of a Pirelli MT21 front with a Dunlop D606 rear. I swapped to new tires in western Colorado.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  5. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on getting back to the East Coast at the conclusion of the trip? There will be 5 of us, one we will drop in Denver on the way back. A pickup truck rental is fairly inexpensive, but the trailer is what is getting me. uHaul is only renting a 5x9 open trailer or 6x12 enclosed and last week when I checked prices they only a few hundred for a one way rental. Today its closer to $1k for the rental. Any suggestions?
  6. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buy a cheap trailer and sell it once you get home?
  7. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy a trailer in California and sell it in New England.

Rent a 36 ft, or 24 ft box moving truck.

Rent a Ford Transit with high top from Enterprise. Probably get 4 bikes in that at least. Denver guy rides home.
  8. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $1000 to move 3 bikes (I'm assuming that is what will fit in the 6x12) is a steal. That's $300/ bike. That's less than half what it cost to pay a shipper to take the thing and that process also involves a LOT of hassle, not the least of which is you most likely won't see your bikes for a month. Just rent the truck and 6x12. Split five ways you won't get a cheaper or more convenient solution.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  9. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We rented a enclosed 6x12 Uhaul two years ago from Sacramento CA to Banff Can. We fit
    a 701, Africa Twin, XR650, F650 Dakar and a DR650 in it plus gear. Put the bikes in at an
    angle and used a bunch of tie downs. Made it all that way with no damage to the bikes.
    With 3 bikes you'll be fine.
    Also, it seems it's way more expensive to rent on the west coast heading east. Just looked into
    renting a 16' box truck from the SF Bay Area to Tuscon, $2200. From Tuscon to the Bay Area $270.
    Yes you read that right. Need the trucks back for all the folks leaving California.
  10. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Convince a family member to come along as a chase vehicle? Something that can tow a trailer and seats 5? Minivan? Extra cab truck?

Buying a trailer that will fit 5 motorcycles will cost north of $1500. Then you need a vehicle to tow it. And it's not the rental; it's the mileage. Most companies are charging $1.00+ per traveled mile.

I rented a 10' Uhaul truck for one day to move my daughter and her family 25 miles. Cost me $160 for two trips.

Wanna real choker? How about a quoted $4700 from Portland, OR, to Macon, GA, for a 15' Uhaul truck. Plus gas, lodging, and food. You could buy a used truck for that and still sell it when you get back.

I've always said it's easy to ride the TAT. It's getting back home that's a challenge. There are no cheap or easy answers.
    mjurchak and Unhooked one like this.
  11. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    I now have a reservation for a Ram 1500 4dr pickup in Oregon through Hertz who allows towing. It was surprisingly $1300 for the truck rental and a little over $1800 for the uhaul 6x12 enclosed trailer from Oregon back to GA.
    PackinDirt likes this.
  12. rrumble

rrumble Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted this once before but a nice option as we did in 2020 was to drive to Trinidad Colorado in your own truck - trailer, park at the Trinidad Police Station which they let us do for free. We rode the TAT from Trinidad to Port Orford on Kevin's - Sam's old tracks and some of the mountain passes in CO, then rode back from Port Orford on Sam's new track through Idaho. The round trip was about 5,000 miles which is the same as doing the TAT from East to West. We did cut some of the trail from Mt Vernon, OR to Boise, ID so we could get to the shop to get our new tires mounted and coming back we rode some pavement after Idaho to Moab and them some more pavement in CO, so sticking to the trail would have been a little longer.!! It took us 19 days to do this with some minor bike issues that set us back a day or two. We also rode from Port Orford to Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in Crescent City, CA which was about 220 miles round trip. Beautiful ride along the coast on a clear sunny day. Redwood were pretty amazing. This spring we rode the MABDR - TAT from NY to VA round trip, roughly 2,100 miles. We haven't ridden the TAT from NC to Trinidad yet but that is on the bucket list after we do the NEBDR this year and the Continental Divide next year!! Enjoy your Ride on the TAT!!!!!
  13. Binnkin

Binnkin n00b

Oddometer:
    Leaving from Ohio around June 20th. Driving solo in a Rav4 going from WV to Colorado. I know, I know, not a bike. Doing a ceramics class out in Arizona and need to get pots back. Camping along the way.
    PackinDirt, CavReconSGT and Addapost like this.
  14. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rav4? I love it! Have a blast.
  15. tarhoo

tarhoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the TAT tire question. Don't worry about it. The right tire for the TAT is whatever is available when you destroy the one you planned to run. This (shinko) is the replacement for the TKC 80 I wrecked in eastern Oklahoma. It was generously provided by members of this forum, who helped me out when I needed it. It lasted three days until this happened. Photo from southeastern Colorado last week. AAA towed me to the (really great) dealer in Colorado Springs who put on whatever they had (I had a choice of one). So, yeah. Don't fret it too much. Probably won't matter.

IMG_5571.JPG
  16. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Been reading some FB TAT threads. One rider encountered 120F heat in Utah and bailed to the tarmac as was riding solo and was fearful that if anything happened might run out of water and could turn into a life threatening event. Don't know if he had a beacon but even then the response takes time to coordinate and launch a SAR effort.

Sooooo,

Loaded the UT BDR tracks. Now have the option to pivot North (above Moab) and ride to the Northern terminus of that route then cut west to Tremonton or continue North and jump on the Idaho TAT tracks. Stay up in the cool altitude and enjoy the mountain scenery.
    Have suffered heat stroke before and its not a good time...especially the passing out part (x2).

So to you adventurous souls traveling in 1's, 2's or 3's, might plug in the UT BDR route in case you have to call an audible due to extreme temps and reroute the trip. Still crossing America offroad - only a fun adventure if you make it alive. :ricky
  17. jdunay

jdunay time travler

Oddometer:
    not leaving until aug 6th, hopefully cools down some.but will have 2 ltr camel pack and extra 4 ltr bladder. also will carry resqlink elt beacon .traveling solo unless i meet someone along the way.be safe everyone and enjoy the ride.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  18. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing to remember is FIRE!! I went down the Continental Divide a few years ago in august and the IDBDR last year in September. We had fires everywhere! As much as heat can be a problem fires are just as bad. The later you leave the worst it will be so have a bail out safe route and do not get caught in the backcountry without a plan!!
  19. saf144

saf144 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone
    Starts the route on August 1st, from Tennessee to Port Orford and rides a KLX 650 following Sam's route,
    good vibe promised
    Sharon
  20. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Agree.
    Why I picked first week of July to start. Wanted to get on trail prior to fire season in August.
    Carrying 4L n water bladder and 3L camel back but that was for non Heat Dome conditions.
    That being said, the Heat Dome situation might dissipate when I hit that region or a round two might rear its ugly head--getting harder to plan so load more alternative course of actions onto the phone/gps.

Climate change is really making the "sweet spot" window grow smaller and smaller.
    Motochimp and thirsty 1 like this.