TAT 2021 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jdunay and I are planning on meeting at the Sheriff's in Trinidad, CO on Aug 7th or 8th to ride the Western portion of the TAT. We are riding a G650 and a DRZ400.

We are following Kevin's tracks. Our plan is to spend some extra days riding additional routes in Colorado and Utah.

The plan is to stealth camp mostly.

JDunay is bringing an Emergency Locator Transmitter just in case.

Would be nice to find a couple more guys riding 700cc or less bikes to join us.
  3. rainsux

rainsux n00b

Oddometer:
    June 29th is my ETD. West to east, solo, using Sam’s GPX data w/Gaia.

But I am olde and heal too slowly, so I will be driving, not riding (Taco Off Road).

Will be traveling with PLB, InReach Mini and aviation-band handheld.

Appreciate advice regarding sections unsuitable for a stock Taco-OR.
  4. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took a ride yesterday after work on part of section #2 in Colorado, saw 6 or so riders that looked like they were running the TAT. They had a real treat as the cloud ceiling was low so they had the pleasure of riding up into the clouds, above them and back down through them as they crossed the Wet Mountains.
    B24F97D2-0B6B-40CB-859D-137AB235E42E.jpeg 2011C7D1-F109-4EC4-A6A5-BB1478C809BC.jpeg 474268D8-B3A5-4CBD-AA2E-C35547A6BCB8.jpeg
    Aces 6, thirsty 1, PackinDirt and 2 others like this.
  5. sr248

sr248 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Brooklyn, NY on July 17th. I'll be on a DRZ400 doing Kevin's tracks to connect to Sam's tracks in WV. Slow rider, solo as of now!
  6. ride.climb.dream

ride.climb.dream adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay I'm throwing my ring into the hat. Planning to ride the TAT east to west, leaving from VA in a couple weeks, on an XT225.
    I am doing the ride solo, but always happy to meet other riders along the way and share beta, psych, and help each other out!

I left in 2019 to ride my DR650 RTW for a couple years, but a broken ankle in Asia, and then COVID had me back in the states for the last year waiting things out. My motorcycle is still stuck in Myanmar due to the military coup, so I bought the XT225 recently and decided to ride the TAT and maybe do some of the BDRs out west. I feel like I'm on plan F at this point, haha, and it all feels very thrown together and chaotic, but I guess that is how adventure goes sometimes (all the time?).

I think I will follow Sam's tracks but have Kevin's as well for options, pretty new to GPS and all so that'll be one of the biggest challenges for me, but I'm looking forward to it. Riding slow and taking it day by day; I have no real timeline or schedule. Camping when I can and going as light as possible. Let's see how it goes.

Hope to see some of you out there.

Julia
  7. AFHans

AFHans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A5AEBA37-1985-4D29-9CC9-D9F108623D98.jpeg B705D753-6C5D-4DF5-9263-920E62DF3413.jpeg B705D753-6C5D-4DF5-9263-920E62DF3413.jpeg Finished!!!
  8. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good thing the tide's low...

What beach are you on that you didn't get chased off by a state official in a green uniform?
  9. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd post my question on this thread and hopefully, the inmates that have completed the entire western TAT can help. Long story short, due to limited vacation availability from work, I have been basically doing TAT in sections if you want to call it that.

In 2017- I along with few other riders started TAT from Andrews, NC (Original TAT Start) and followed to AR. Turned back afterwards to head back to Charlotte after 10 days of doing TAT.
    In 2018- I trailered my bike to the start of AR TAT and followed TAT tracks from AR to Colorado. Skipped some of OK due to 110 degree heat. Completed majority of the Colorado Mt. Passes. Turned back afterwards to head back to Charlotte due to vacation time running out and also had rear brake issues on my Husky 650 Terra after doing majority of the passes. Slabbed my Terra from Western Colorado to AR where my truck was parked.
    In 2020- I trailered my bike to Trinidad and met up with couple of other riders to do Colorado TAT again and to continue westward. Completed majority of the Colorado Mt. Passes but had to turn back after Colorado.

Now I have again partnered with an inmate that I rode with in 2018. We are planning to possibly meetup in Moab in mid-Sept. and continue TAT westward. Is there any place that we can park our truck safely for about 7-10 days in Moab? Fee based or not.

Thanks.

Jon
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  10. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Not having direct knowledge, I would offer this: get in touch with any of the outdoor outfitters (bike rental companies) or motorcycle shops in the area. Tons of folks trailer in all kinds of rigs to Moab. Another possibility is the Chamber of Commerce. It's amazing what you can find out from those folks. I'm sure there are tons of options.

You could post in one of the western ADVRider forums as well. Might be an inmate in Moab that would be willing to host your rig for a while.

There's also the Three Steps Hideaway just south of Moab.

Edit: A quick Google search came up with the following:

https://www.discovermoab.com/moab-long-term-parking/
    VStromNC likes this.
  11. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might want to also check the site here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tent-space-map-v2.1215147/

There might be someone who has trailer space. It's worth a check.

KR
    PackinDirt and VStromNC like this.
  12. thirsty 1

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic and Vark like this.
  13. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer. The last two sections of the POS are awesome. So much of Oregon has burned in the last 10 years. In 2019 I got through with no fires but so much was scared from earlier fires.
    PackinDirt and thirsty 1 like this.
  14. thirsty 1

Oddometer:
    @Addapost for me it takes a day to get to so at the least I can run it next spring. :thumbup
    Addapost likes this.
  15. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    I'll add a banner to the front page. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll also repost both of the links at the top of this page.

I had the same reaction riding through those burned sections in '19. I thanked my lucky stars it had been a very wet spring and the fire pressure was relatively light that year.
    CavReconSGT and thirsty 1 like this.
  16. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We'll be riding by the Jack fire area on Monday.
    Will try to report how much of a reroute we do, if any.

Depends how many of the forest roads are closed.
    Also, depending on which way the wind is blowing,
    it could be quite smoky.

Of course most of us on this ride are from Sonoma Co.
    California and the last few years we've spent a lot of
    time in thick smoke.
    thirsty 1 and CavReconSGT like this.
  17. onestroke

onestroke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HAUL MY BIKE BACK EAST?
    Open invitation to anyone on or planning to ride from New England to OR this summer / fall. I rode the TAT last summer starting in Vermont, ending in Oregon. I stashed my bike in OR with a friend and have not had the time to retrieve it, and shipping quotes have been too high. If anyone is heading back east after completing the TAT in a truck or trailer etc and wants some $help covering the cost of gas/rental etc and can fit my bike in I would like to hear from you DM.
  18. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised that so many are doing the TAT in June and July. These have ALWAYS been miserably hot months in the west.
    We did the TAT the first of september in 2008 and hit temps of 115. BUT, there was no snow in the mountains. I want to do it again, but It will be mid to late september when I start.
  19. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Bear in mind that the snow starts flying in the upper elevations by the end of September. It can get pretty chilly up there. This ride is almost always a compromise on one end or the other.
  20. thirsty 1

Oddometer:
    Just talked to a local at silver lake. Kevin’s tracks sec 45 is closed or is going to be. The bootleg fire is at 150,000 acres and is blowing up! It’s hot! 107 here at the store. 46 & 47 are deep sand I did today on packed 1190. I’m smoked at 130 miles of it.