TAT 2021 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Think about the margin for disaster on this one. The blink of an eye could have made the difference between what happened and true disaster. Wow! What a picture.

We were camping at a state park in Vermont on Friday night and heard a mighty "SNAP" and crash somewhere in the dark. We did a quick survey to make sure no tents got squished.
    Ikeya-Seki and Aces 6 like this.
  2. jdunay

jdunay time travler

Oddometer:
    that's my plan.limited time that i would rather spend in the mountains and canyons
  3. wolfbuzz

wolfbuzz The Dotted Line

Oddometer:
    Another question for you experienced TAT riders: I know that camping out West is no problem with the public lands, but in the South and East there's much less of that. Is finding camping, especially for free, difficult in that part of United States?
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  4. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  5. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From NC to the Mississippi River we had no issues finding public or private campgrounds. But, you do have to plan the day and have alternate places in mind since miles per day vary quite a bit due to terrain, go arounds, long lunches, etc. I like Furkot.com for finding campgrounds within a set radius.
    Jedi2Rider, Aces 6 and wolfbuzz like this.
  7. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about the east side of Oklahoma? The first part looks interesting, at least on the map, with lots of turns and direction changes. I’m planning to ride some, maybe all, of Oklahoma on my way home from Missouri next month.
  8. AFHans

AFHans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving Mid-June 2021 from Deal's Gap, NC to Port Orford, OR via Sam's 2018 tracks.

Camping as much as possible, riding solo on a '16 R1200GSA.
    Jedi2Rider and Addapost like this.
  9. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The east half of OK was beautiful and unique in my opinion. OK is also THE state where the biomes of the North American continent change from one to another. Leaving the Ozarks in western AR entering OK you are leaving the deciduous forest of the eastern third of the the country and entering the great plains. The western third you start to get a feel for the badlands that lead into the desert southwest. I loved Oklahoma. Pic is from the middle third somewhere.

Attached Files:

10. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    I admit that @Addapost is right about the terrain in Oklahoma being diverse as you cross the state. Coming out of the Ozarks into the Osage Hills around Tulsa was pretty. Just west of Tulsa, you get your first whiff of sage brush that will be your constant companion for the next 3000 miles, right up until you cross the Coastal Range. It was drizzling when we came through there and I can still remember the sweet smell of that sage. Talk about your biome markers.

Once you cross through the panhandle, you can just start to see the eastern mountains of New Mexico and Colorado in the distance. Your heart starts to race in anticipation of tackling some really fun terrain.

So maybe I was a little harsh in my assesment of Oklahoma. I guess it was the 360 miles of gravel between Tulsa and the Great Plains Bunkhouse that I just wasn't interested in. It was also dry and 108F when were went through. And windy. Almost blew us off the paved road. And made Scotty's KLR run like crap. Worse than when we were at 13k feet in Colorado.
    Natgeo14 and Aces 6 like this.
  11. Aces&8s

Aces&8s Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for those that have previously run that TAT or ones that already made tire plans. I'll be running 606/MT21 combo on a KLR and looking for suggestions on where to switch tires. My current plan is to take a day or two off @ the 3 Step Hideaway in La Sal, Utah. Appears they have a shop to do your own work but I'll have to arrange to have parts shipped there. I've seen several people stopping @ Topar Racing in Trinidad. It would be nice to have a fresh set of eyes give the bike a once over. If its a shop I'd definitely want to call and make sure they'll have my tires prior to arriving.
  12. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    We rode with two guys in '19 who had midway maintenance done at Topar, a KLR and DR650. They're a really great shop. Huge t-storm came through, knocked out the power, pounding rain and wind for an hour. "Worst we've seen", they said. Even with the power out, the shop still kept working on the 2 bikes to get them on their way. The same day, I snapped my clutch cable on the way out of their parking lot. On a back shelf, they had one buried in a dusty, forgotten box of old spares that just barely fit. It's still on the bike. I now carry a spare. The Motion Pro cable that broke was brand new less than two weeks earlier...

The Great Plains Bunkhouse in the Oklahoma panhandle also has tools, a compressor, and a lift. That may be a little early for a full service. Scotty's Shitco rear was toast when we hit Tulsa so he called ahead and had a D606 sent to the bunkhouse from Rocky Mountain. He spooned on my used MT21 in Moab and ran it all the way to Oregon. So my front could have gone all the way.

There's also a good Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Yamaha dealership up in Montrose, CO, just a bit north of Ouray.

I ran the D606/MT21 combo on my XR and changed tires and oil in Ouray, CO. Probably 20% left on the rear and the front was getting choppy but was still OK. There was a garage in town that let us change the oil in their parking lot and took the old filters and used oil. Even lent us a drain pan.

With lead times and shipping issues still cropping up, order whatever you need NOW and ship it ahead. If you're not confident in doing the maintenance or tire changes yourself, then schedule a shop to do the work.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  13. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have a group of 4 or 5 leaving Sonoma Co. CA on July 10th for Port Orford and then east on Sam's new tracks.
    We plan to stay those tracks until Baker NV then take Sam's old tracks through UT. Planning to ride through Fish Lake Natl Forest,
    hit Eagle Canyon and Black Dragon wash. May stay at the 3 Step Hideaway for a night. When we reach Colorado we plan
    on doing a number of the passes, especially Black Bear. Eventually when we reach the CDR around Sargents we'll turn south
    and ride into New Mexico. We haven't decided whether to rent a truck or ride home.

We'll be camping most of the time and hotel it once in a while. Bikes as of now, F650 Dakar, Xr650l, 701 and an Africa Twin.

I've done the TAT coast to coast once staring in Delaware on Sam's tracks. Another time starting in Colorado Springs mostly on Kevin's
    tracks. Haven't ridden Sam's western spur so we thought we'd give that a try.

Looks like with our departure date we may be running into a few other riders. Look forward to meeting them.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  14. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you don't want to think about tires the entire trip try running a Heidenau K60 on the rear and a TKC 80 on the front. I ran that combo on my Dakar my first
    time on the TAT and did 5600 miles with tread to spare. Only one flat from a large nail on the rear. I never had any traction issues with the K60 going over any of the
    passes in Colorado. It wasn't great in deep sand but didn't have much of that either, including doing Sam's old route though Nevada.

This year I'll be riding my 701 and using Goldentyre GT723. These are DOT knobbies and put on over 5000 miles on the last set riding the
    CDR and the TAT through Colorado, Utah and half of Nevada. And the 701 in not easy on tires. The 701 came stock with TKC's and the
    rear was gone in just over 2000 miles. The TKC's are a little better on the pavement however the 723's are way better offroad.
    PackinDirt likes this.
  15. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone doing the TAT in May here?
  16. Aces&8s

Aces&8s Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm doing a shakedown run May 20-24. Current plan is to run Kevin's maps from the coast through section 4 (Statesville, NC) but if all goes well I may do section 5 (Bakersville, NC). I hear this part of the trail can be boring but I'm just trying to get a feel for my current setup. And looking forward to getting out of the office for a few days.
    PackinDirt likes this.
  17. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    I would say that the first few sections of Kevin's route are just that: a great way to shake down your bike and your gear. Not technically challenging but a chance to get off the beaten path for a couple days. By the time you hit anything challenging, you'll be one with your bike and setting up your tent blindfolded. When you get to the point where it feels more natural to be on the seat than off it, then you'll know you're properly on your way.

@Natgeo14 - check the first page. There are several groups leaving in May that are open to other riders joining.
    Aces&8s and CavReconSGT like this.
  18. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks Packin Dirt, I will check it and thank you for all of the work that you have done with organizing this thread!
  19. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Aw, shucks, thanks. I don't do any social media so this is the closest I get to being social online. Truthfully, I wouldn't be as involved with the ADV/dual-sport lifestyle as I am now without ADVRider. I've used this site as a resource for a long time so posting up an annual page for a few TAT riders to check in seems like a good give-back. And it's great to stay connected to something I care about. Half the fun is encouraging riders to do this trip in the first place.

I'm no expert on long-distance travel but I might have some sort of wisdom to share. That's how many of us started out. Reading, doing the research, and talking to riders who have put rubber to the road.
  20. UncaBuddha

UncaBuddha Well, Okay then.

Oddometer: