TAT 2021 roll call

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PackinDirt, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. UncaBuddha

UncaBuddha Well, Okay then.

Oddometer:
    Pedaling up hill is the BEST! <G>
  3. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On that post, did you see the 300,000 feet of total eleveation climbed?!? No way. Internal combustion, thank you very much.
    UncaBuddha likes this.
  4. Shelby88

Shelby88 Dirt tastes good!

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on doing the Arkansas and half of the Oklahoma TAT from East to West starting in Helena AR, on the 29th of May. I was planning on running the route last year, but you know, COVID. Ill be riding the 1090 so there may have to be a few re-routes along the way, but I'm trying to stick to the route as much as possible. I have run the OK route many times before, its mostly long dirt roads, but its still fun. I am going to take my time as I have the whole next week off. I'm really needing a good moto-camping trip after all the BS of 2020.
    If anyone wants to tag along or meet up on the trail feel free to let me know. Ill check in on the forum a few times when I can. Ill post pics as I go also and give some direction as far as trail conditions and required re-routes for larger bikes.
    thirsty 1, Aces 6 and RustySpokes like this.
  5. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    Leaving June 27th-ish from Asheville, NC on a Honda Trail CT125. Riding solo until my buddy meets me in Colorado to finish. Camping with the occasional motel as needed. Following Sam's track. Finishing in Port Offord, Oregon- hopefully.
  6. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow - - on a CT125!! That is awesome.
  7. Tchristmas

Tchristmas n00b

Oddometer:
    Leaving from Atlanta Ga solo on June 5 headed for Oregon riding a DR350. Plan is to camp most nights with a hotel stay here and there for a rest.
    655513EE-8E87-472B-818B-A9CDB6D7E4A5.JPG
  8. Unhooked one

Unhooked one Manipulator of Matter

Oddometer:
    I know the lumber prices are up but COME ON MAN !! LOL
  9. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    Y'all might wanna walk that one first...
  10. bigblueboy

bigblueboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Henry at Topar Racing is the mechanic. Super cool. (719) 846-8774 cell. They will take good care of the TAT riders. I sent them new D606 rear and Scorpion Pro front for my TAT ride in 2018 for my 2018 ktm 500 exc. new shoes is cheap insurance against flats. No flats on my trip 6100 miles of TAT and then up to Portland for return home.
    PackinDirt likes this.
  11. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    6 weeks .... ... .. .
    PackinDirt and Ikeya-Seki like this.
  12. Ikeya-Seki

Ikeya-Seki Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heavy rains in this third week of May in AR, OK & LA. Beware of flooding & impassible mud.
    CavReconSGT and thirsty 1 like this.
  13. Motochimp

Motochimp Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leaving Bend Oregon in a rental truck with my bike loaded on June 22nd hoping to arrive in Asheville NC June 25th. Get a good night sleep and hit the TAT back to Oregon the next day on the 26th. I have both Sam's and Kevin's routes, will probably start with Kevin's and switch to Sam's from Utah, Idaho and Oregon. Not sure what bike yet, 350 FE-S or 890 Adventure R. Been thinking of doing this trip for years, committed to do it and been planning since December. This site has been a huge motivator and very resourceful, but I'm not gonna lie I'm starting to get very anxious, probably overthinking it.
  14. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Keep us in the loop. It is a fantastic trip. Don't overthink, just take it day by day, mile by mile, and deal with any issues if they arise. I did it two years ago and every day since then I wish I was back on it.
  15. tarhoo

tarhoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Timing update of previous post
    Two of us on big bikes leaving 28 may from the Mississippi River crossing at west Helena Arkansas and expect to be in or around salida, colorado in a week or so. Happily skipping mud or long stretches of same/same in Oklahoma to keep this schedule if needed. See you out there
  16. rocketman1098S

rocketman1098S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Four of us leaving 24-25Jun from north central NC. Three on xr650l. Camping mostly. Have a little flex in our schedule. Planning on riding TAT out and northerly back roads on our return. Mainly camping but some hotel stays for bike, body, wardrobe maintenance....
    Safe travels all!!!
  17. tarhoo

tarhoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Short report from Arkansas TAT past two days. Hope it helps those who come after.

1) It is still early in the season and raining. The MS river delta is full of mud. Any roads that are "really dirt" should be judged carefully. We spent several hours backtracking only about 1.5 miles through mud that would clog up under your fender so bad the front wheel would not roll. Not worth it. Note that roads that have been heavily gravelled are "muddy and slick but still passable". This was Friday 5/28.

2) The ozarks are really great. Today (5/29) was a full day of well groomed gravel roads that are well drained. We did the toughest piece (Warloop Road) late in the day on fully loaded GS1200s, and it was a wet/rocky challenge, but we did it with only modest amounts of cursing. I would not want to do it by myself on a big bike (dangerous if you make a mistake), but it is completely do-able, and will be better as it dries out. It is also short in terms of the difficult section. Under 3/4 mile for the nasty bits.
  18. tarhoo

tarhoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh and don't skip the spur road to the White Rock Mountain overlook (and yes it is $3.00 to park). Totally worth it. There are not really any good overlooks from the main road, and for $3.00 and a spur road of about 1 mile, you get 270 degree views - really nice stuff.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  19. tarhoo

tarhoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone wants video of the nasty bit of warloop road to judge it for themselves please dm me and I will put it up on a private link.
    Aces&8s and thirsty 1 like this.
  20. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    @Motochimp posted the following trip plan:

Leaving Ashville NC on June 26, solo, KTM 890, camping mostly, Kevin's track thru Utah, then Sam's to Port Orford Oregon. Looking forward to crossing paths with other riders along the way. This is my first adventure trip ever, so jumping in with both feet.