TAT Bound or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Riding my Bike

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by blisske, May 19, 2016.

1. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ended up shipping about 10 pounds worth of stuff home from Moab. I agree that lighter is better. In fact, based on that stated opinion, I have decided to switch my upcoming perfect TAT build over from a DR650 to an XR650L. I just bought the donor bike over the weekend. It is a 2014 with 1000 miles on it. The previous owner did a lot of good mods, so I'm about half way there. First mod I'll add is a lowering link which I suspect will be followed up by a lower seat. Here is a pic:

IMG_3063.JPG
  2. freeway crash

freeway crash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the new build. The XRL will be my next bike
  3. thorpedo

thorpedo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! That's a nice looking XR.. and I'm also looking forward to see what you do with it. I'm in the process of modding my DR650 for the TAT and will probably end up very close to the one you just sold. I just added Cogent rear shock, and .58 fork springs w/ DDC's. Also, the TM40 pumper carb, FMF powerbomb and Leo Vince muffler. Major improvement to say the least.
    You asked footdragger about his Cee-Bailey... were you not happy with Laminar Lip? I'm 6'2", so I'm struggling with which windshield to go with.... Something that can block some wind, but not be overly tall.

I've never ridden the XR, so no experience to compare to DR... if you factor out the fuel capacity difference the weight is about the same though.
  4. keninpcfl

keninpcfl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report. Glad you enjoyed the ride. Thanks for sharing!
  5. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Laminar Lip I had on my KLR was amazing, so I bought one for the DR. It was just so-so. It kept some wind off me, but it was far from ideal.
  6. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1934.JPG

The previous owner got me off to a good start. Some items will be scrapped but many will stay on bike. Here is a list of what I plan to keep:

Big Gun Evo exhaust
    Clark 4.7 gallon gas tank
    2nd and 5th gear mod
    8 cell antigravity battery
    Race Tech Gold Valve front forks kit
    IMS emissions plug
    bar risers
    IMS gear lever
    IMS foot pegs
    JE high compression piston
    42mm Mikuni HSR pumper carb
    UNI air filter
    MSR aluminum skid plate
    Vapor speedo
    Vapor dash with indicators
    Dunlop 606 rear tire
    renthal fat bars 1 1/8
    turn signal kit
    rear taillight kit
    Motion Pro rim lock
    XRs Only Shark Fin
    magnetic oil plug
    Maier airbox cover
    49 tooth rear sprocket
    14 (?) tooth front sprocket
    vent cap
    folding doubletake mirror

Here are additional items I will be adding:

Sutton Cycle Works oil cooler
    2017 Lynx R fairing
    Seat Concepts seat cover
    XRs Only lowering link
    license plate bracket
    Acerbis X-Factor hand guards
    AeroStitch tank panniers
    Ether the 40 or 80 Liter Mosco Moto Reckless luggage

Still need to sort out:

sub-frame reinforcement (does the SW Motech work with a Big Gun Evo exhaust?)
    pannier frames (do I need them with the Mosco Moto stuff?)
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. It has become clear to me, and I am sure many would disagree but, doing this ride in sections in order to capitalize on each region's good weather would be a more enjoyable experience. Maybe its because I spend so much time riding in very hot weather and appreciate how much more enjoyable riding is when you are not constantly battling heat discomfort that I feel that way.

OP, you mention about hot conditions, do you think splitting up the route for my above reasons would have made your trip better?
    i4bikes likes this.
  8. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thought on the heat was that there needs to be an alternate route through Colorado that takes lower elevations to allow for riding the TAT in its entirety either earlier or later in season. A big part of the adventure was doing it from beginning to end without interruption.
  9. motopreserve

motopreserve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Mosko reckless series does not require side racks. They attach to the passenger peg area and the top rack/rear fender area.

The bike looks like it's pretty well sorted already. Nice find.
    blisske likes this.
  10. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today's project focused and reducing seat height of the big red beast from stratospheric to tall. Here was where we started today and yes, that is with race sag set!

IMG_3102.JPG
  11. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the little red link, coupled with sliding the forks up in the triple clamp, that is going to bring me down from the clouds:

IMG_3112.JPG
  12. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are the results. Still up there, but manageable. I also have a low seat cover from Seat Concepts showing up next week and that will bring additional relief.

IMG_3124.JPG
  13. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next up, some stout hand protection. I had these Acerbis X-Factors on the DR and really liked them:

IMG_3127.JPG
  14. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Final project of the day was the installation of an oil cooler from Sutton Cycle Works. Mark really has a nice product and you can see the graphic artist come out in his instruction manual. Yes, it is a manual and was a pleasure to read:

IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3129.JPG IMG_3130.JPG
  15. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice
  16. GLantern

GLantern A Nut Behind The Bars

Oddometer:
    How did the Wolfman saddle bags and pmr rack work out for you? I was looking into side racks and soft luggage but can't decide on what to get.
  17. Bluebone

Bluebone half band

Oddometer:
    i turned 54 a cpl months ago and got to looking back on my life and realized that i've still never really had that adventure i've been yearning for. Time, money and obligations never seem to coordinate properly to give me that window of opportunity needed to make it happen. So i've come to the conclusion that 2018 is going to be the year and the TAT is going to be the adventure. I have the bike even tho some would claim i could do better but it's what i have and KLRs have done it before. as long as i dont needlessly waste PTO i should have enough saved up by then to take 5 weeks off which should be a pretty good window to get it done and it would be by far the longest vacation i've ever had. it's a goal anyway and perhaps that's just what the doctor ordered.
    Tallbastid, blisske and motopreserve like this.
  18. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really liked the pannier racks (though I worried about having the exhaust mount and pannier mount sharing that one extremely long and slender bolt) and the Wolfman saddle bags were fine, but frustrating. The bags took a long time to mount and remove each day and cinching them down so cargo wasn't jostling around was a royal pain. I was frustrated enough that I have replaced them with Moscow Moto Reckless 80s. The Reckless 80 appears to have addressed all my frustrations with the luggage and the quality is top notch and about the same price when you consider they include a top duffel bag equivalent. Check them out.
  19. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did the final lowering mod yesterday; a low Seat Concepts seat cover for the stock seat pan. The install was a success, but more challenging than I anticipated:

IMG_3131.JPG IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3136.JPG IMG_3140.JPG
  20. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer: