TAT Bound or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Riding my Bike

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by blisske, May 19, 2016.

1. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. mattc

mattc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your friend, Scotty.

I like your style, my buddies (Vince and Jensen) just crossed into Oregon today. You may catch up with them if you keep up your pace.

Have fun!
    FireDog45 likes this.
  3. DDDubs

DDDubs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad I did not know all of that 'in the moment'. Wow. Harsh conditions.
    I thought you might like a break from the nasty hotels. I booked you into a suite in Ketchum. Hopefully you will enjoy a clean room and a great view. Hugs.
    Moto Gal and blisske like this.
  4. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TAT Day 18
    American Falls, ID to Ketchum, ID
    Total Mileage: 4300
    Daily mileage: 196
    Wildlife Observed: grouse, elk, rabbit, prairie dog, hawk
    Lodging/Camping Anxiety Level (1-10): 0 (My lovely girlfriend booked me a great room in Ketchum. Thanks, Deb!)
    Gas Station Anxiety Level (1-10): 0
    Motorcycle Condition: my horn stopped working, which I discovered while trying to clear cows off the road.
    Rider Condition: felt really relaxed today.
    Trail Difficulty: intermediate (antelope pass got my attention).
    Trail Condition: Craters of the Moon National Monument was pretty rutted up.
    Other Riders Spotted: no TATers.
    Notable Events: Craters of the Moon was about 50 miles of really sweet double track. Really enjoyable. The transition from farm land to mountains was stunning and the area around antelope pass was beautiful. Possibly the most pleasant day of riding yet. Also, it was the first day that it wasn't blazing hot, so that probably had something to do with it.
    Weather: sunny and warm.
    highnoonhunter likes this.
  5. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great extended double track here in Craters of the Moon.

image.jpeg

Sweet, sweet freedom. So close, but yet so far away.

image.jpeg

I thought the knuckle biting mountain passes were left behind in Colorado. Not true.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  6. HBLQRider

HBLQRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics!

Still following along from the comfort of my living room.
  7. one-track mind

one-track mind Next time I send a damn fool, 
I go myself.

Oddometer:
    A post made from Trikepilot a few weeks ago. Don't know if you are aware:
    Here is the gpx file for my re-route for the TAT closure in ID along the Big Smoky River between Ketchum and Featherville.
    I know that a small dualsport can skirt the first blockage but I never saw the second blockage. Both are large washouts where the river has overtaken the roadbed.

My reroute has some pavement in it but it does get you to Fairfield where you can grab a good burger at the Wrangler.

Attached Files:

8. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I have updated my GPS...just in time! And thanks for the tip on the Wrangler.
    gluaisrothar likes this.
  9. Jacks-son

Jacks-son Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great to watch. I am 71 and planning my TAT adventure riding at least the first TN leg in September. Bit concerned about my bikes weight (1150GS), but that's what I own.
    No more talk about this age excuse. When my dad was 91 and I was 50, my son and I rode our BMWs along side of him to Montana to pick up his seventh "Oldest Rider" award at the BMW rally.
    juno, trypod-AL, Anand7 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    blisske - Wow, what a great RR! I got into dual sport adventuring when I turned 55. I discovered an event called the Alcan 5000 and bought a KTM 950 to attempt it. That was 2004 and after getting used to riding dirt with that bike, I made the 2006 event. I had to take a month off to do the TSD rally. The event was 4200 miles over 9 days, but it finished in Anchorage and I then had to ride back to my truck in Seattle. Then of course 3.5 days to get back to Boston.

I ran it again on the same bike in 2010, but since I am mostly solo now I ride smaller 300# motorcycles now. I turned 67 this year. I wanted to ride a couple back country discovery routes but I can't get enough time off to do them. And now I want to ride the 2018 Alcan 5000 too. So I told my company last month I am retiring. I mean what am I waiting for? You have a great boss to let you do this TAT. Your RR is inspiring. I have a winter place in Scottsdale that would make MOAB a pretty easy starting point, so maybe I try the TAT west from Moab next Spring. Thanks again for this great report and I look forward to its conclusion. PS: I didn't realize the TAT went through ID. I thought it went through UT and Nevada to get to OR.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  11. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TAT Day 19
    Ketchum, ID to Ontario, OR
    Total Mileage: 4614
    Daily mileage: 314
    Wildlife Observed: deer, crane, hawk (seeing less wildlife as I get out West).
    Lodging/Camping Anxiety Level (1-10): 0
    Gas Station Anxiety Level (1-10): 0 (plenty of gas stations today)
    Motorcycle Condition: horn still needs a looking at.
    Rider Condition: tired. Too many miles again today, but I just wanted to cross over into Oregon.
    Trail Difficulty: nothing too challenging and a lot of pavement today.
    Trail Condition: I ran into 2 road closures today. Fortunately I had a reroute GPS track for the first and the second in Horseshoe Bend was just a 2 mile reroute.
    Other Riders Spotted: nope
    Notable Events: nearly hit a domesticated sheep in the middle of nowhere and not out on open range land. How did it get there? I once wrecked a car in New Zealand when a sheep leaped in front of my car (yes, they can leap!). Fortunately this was just short of a panic stop and no collision occurred. I forgot to mention that I was stung by a bee on my pinky yesterday. My pinky is swollen and itchy today.
    Weather: chilly in morning and hot as I descended to lower elevation.
    highnoonhunter and DDDubs like this.
  12. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rider's log, TAT day 19. My butt is sore.
  13. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rules for sheep.
    When you come up to them they usually get out the way, but may cross your path to do it.
    Yes they can leap , straight up 6' on very hilly ground, but usually only when scared by something.

When going past sheep, take the widest line you can, or they will walk down the road in front of you. It's not that they are totally stupid, they are just used to being herded and your single cylinder bike sounds much like the farmer's...

Lambs will always run to their mother, even if that takes them across a road in your path. The mother may not be the closest adult sheep. When you see a lamb, slow down and wait for it to make its move. Once it's by its mother, you can go past.
    1 exception:
    Lambs in groups of 4 are invincible and may not run away. This is "The Power of Four"
    They may stay in the road and come to investigate you.

Rams. They are called rams for a reason!

15. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That ram vid is the funniest thing I've watched for a while. :imaposer
  16. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TAT Day 20
    Ontario, OR to John Day, OR
    Total Mileage: 4822
    Daily mileage: 208
    Wildlife Observed: some huge crane, egret or heron (I'm no bird expert), red tailed hawk (seeing these every day and nearly ran over an overly bold one today), antelope.
    Lodging/Camping Anxiety Level (1-10): 4 (swim meet and demolition derby had nearly all rooms booked in John Day)
    Gas Station Anxiety Level (1-10): 9 (under 200 mile day, except for fact that I accidentally got on the interstate going the wrong way and that added about 10 miles to my trip. Made it to town with less than half a gallon to spare. Considering the probability of tree falls causing lengthy reroutes, this was a close call.)
    Motorcycle Condition: horn still busted.
    Rider Condition: for a short day, I'm beat.
    Trail Difficulty: some challenging forest service roads that made for a fun day.
    Trail Condition: good. As always, rain could be a game changer for some of the dirt roads.
    Other Riders Spotted: possibly two TATers heading East, but more likely two adventure bikes out for a ride.
    Notable Events: today was the day of gates. I think I had 6 gates to open and close. I think it is asinine that I can't pump my own gas, especially after being ignored for 5 minutes before coming out to only swipe my credit card and then have me pump it anyway.
    Weather: 70s in morning and 88 in John Day this afternoon. My body has a acclimatized to the heat now and the 70s felt chilly.
    Pedersoli and highnoonhunter like this.
  17. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    "Ontario, OR to John DY, OR" ? ? ?

Hummm...TAT route ? ? John Day ? ? New route ?

Interesting to see when you land at the coast.

Tuesday Two Wheel DS Meatup 6 ish in Corvallis, Oregon, 1 st, Flat Tail Brew Pub.

Chill on the no self serve gas deal. Just dig your card or cash out and be ready to pay attendant and catch your breath.

When logging hit the skids, we locals voted this law in to help employ workers.

Great RR by the way...:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup
    Roktman, blisske and i4bikes like this.
  19. DanBarwick

DanBarwick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lovin the pics!
  20. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TAT Day 21
    John Day, OR to Paulina Lake Campground, OR
    Total Mileage: 5074
    Daily mileage: 252
    Wildlife Observed: fox, deer, hawk
    Lodging/Camping Anxiety Level (1-10): 4 (hmmm, thought this route went through Crater Lake National Monument. Good news is that the spot I thought was Crater Lake on the map had a campground and that's where I'm staying tonight.)
    Gas Station Anxiety Level (1-10): 0
    Motorcycle Condition: headlight went out mid-day and I consider this essential safety gear even though I don't plan to ride at night. Good news is that I was able to fix the problem as it was just an issue with the connector needing to be reseated and not a failure of the LED itself. I do carry the original halogen bulb as a back up, just in case. While I was doing repairs, I fixed the horn as well. Not sure if the fix was rapping on it with my socket wrench or cleaning it. It was filled with mud. Regardless, all systems are a go.
    Rider Condition: tired. Getting run down doing this every day.
    Trail Difficulty: some fun forest service roads that were barely in use and almost too faint to follow.
    Trail Condition: excellent.
    Other Riders Spotted: a couple of bikes on the road today, but none appeared to be TATers.
    Notable Events: as it is no longer appallingly hot and now actually quite chilly in the early morning (it was 46 when I got up this morning), I'm no longer starting to ride at the crack of dawn. Oh, I've decided that Oregon is my favorite state of all the states this trail goes through. It is beautiful, varied and the small towns seem to have a more vibrant and less run down feel to them.
    Weather: sunny. cool in morning and hot in afternoon.