TAT-Clayton, NM to Paradise Valley, NV

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by PYG RYDR, Aug 15, 2014.

1. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    Our plan is to start our ride Sunday, August 31 in Clayton, NM and ride 8 days on the TransAmericaTrail west to Paradise Valley, NV. Then return to Clayton on paved roads.

For this adventure we decided not to camp and have reservations for each night to sleep in a bed! :clap

My name is Galen, the PYG RYDR and I am riding my 2002 Honda XR650L.

My 2 riding buddies can chime in with their introductions and more details! :deal

[​IMG]
  2. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me two!!!! My real world name is Jim and I'll be on a DR650.

[​IMG]

This will be TAT adventure #2 for us. We rode from TN to NM in 2010. Pictures from TAT#1 are here.

I am SO ready!!!!!
  3. pfestus1

pfestus1 Slash 5er

Oddometer:
    Wow, should be an epic ride! I'm looking forward to following you guys. Wishing you all a safe and fun time!
  4. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in. :ear
  5. mapuda

mapuda Crash Tested

Oddometer:
    Subscribed :lurk
  6. NVTS

NVTS Are you ennen oh eff tee Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in 2010 I ran the TAT from Tellico Plains to the OK-NM border, solo. The pic below denotes where my trip ended, precisely on the border.

[​IMG]

A clogged fuel filter led to a two day stress fest with a detour through Colorado Springs before heading back home.
    When Pyg Ryder told me they were going to run the TAT again starting in Clayton, NM I got the green light from Mrs. NVTS.:D.

This time I'll be on the ugliest KTM Adventure in history, so away we three go, headed for "BIG FUN".

[​IMG]
  7. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My ride:
    This DR650 is the second one I've owned and has about 24,000 miles on it. It is a sturdy, durable and reliable MULE well suited for this kind of adventure IMO. The engine and exhaust are completely stock. The OEM BST40 carb has been retrofitted with an Euro-spec adjustable fuel needle and extended fuel mixture screw. It's certainly no rocketship but it will comfortably cruise at 75 and tops out around 100. That's fast enough for me and it provides tractor-like torque for thumping along on two tracks and trails with 200 pounds of me and 60 or 70 pounds of gear on board. In my previous experience the OEM carb fueled reliably from sea level to 13K feet without requiring jet changes. I am using an IMS 4.9 gallon tank and with the stock carb I can count on 50+ mpg (usually 55-60) so I have a range of at least 250 miles which is important for riding in the remote sections of western states. My seat is from Renasco Racing and I have found it to be good for repetitive all day riding. The rear shock is a custom built Cogent Dynamics unit with a higher rate spring. The forks have been retrofitted with Ricor Intiminators (drop-in cartridge emulators) and straight rate springs. I also have Ricor Vibranators in the Renthal bars. There are lots of other minor farkles but that's the big stuff. I'll run 14/42 gearing outbound on the TAT and 15/42 (stock) for the return on pavement. For safety I prefer soft luggage when dual sporting so I use the large Dirtbagz on custom built bag racks, a 30 liter roll-top dry sack on the Suzuki luggage rack and a small Wolfman Expedition water proof tankbag.

Preparation:
    Oil change, valve adjustment, fresh NGK plugs, cleaned and oiled the TwinAir primary filter and secondary BST filter.
    Fresh brake pads and DOT4 fluid front and rear
    Grease swingarm bearings (has zerks)
    New tires - front: IRC TR8 rear: Duro HF904
    General end-to-end check of fasteners, fittings and components

Spares and Repairs:
    A breakdown "out there" can be serious. In addition to my tools I carry front and rear inner tubes, patch kit and pump, clutch and throttle cables, clutch and brake levers, shift lever, ignition pickup, wheel bearings, fuses, a selection of carburetor jets, a small selection of metric fasteners, a siphon hose, a tow strap, oil, JB Weld, Loctite, Gorilla tape, steel wire and twine. I run a full-time voltmeter on the bike and carry a small multi-meter. I also carry an emergency "space" blanket and lightweight tarp just in case.
    [​IMG]

Electronic Aids:
    When we rode the eastern part of the TAT in 2010 one of our crew laboriously converted the paper roll charts into a hand-drawn GPS track (in Mapsource) which was vastly better. So, this time instead of paper route sheets we will be following Sam's GPS track. Galen is our "leader" in this regard. All of us have GPS receivers (I carry two), a SPOT GPS locator/tracker and a smartphone (2 different carriers). There will be one netbook for route/track management. In addition to random photographs there will be one GoPro camera (helmet or handlebar mounted) and one retired Android phone running MobileWebCam programmed to automatically shoot a picture of whatever it sees every 5 minutes or so. Should be interesting.

Nine days to departure. Oh yeah, I'm ready.
  8. JIMsDAUGHTER

JIMsDAUGHTER n00b

Oddometer:
    Go Dad! :freaky
  9. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright now, I have a posse!
  10. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    subscribed.

how old is everyone?
  11. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer:
    Subscribing...
  12. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm the oldest. I'll admit to 68.
  13. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought that was a lot a space allocated for spare parts, until I saw Post #1 which mentioned you were moteling it every night, so a lot less gear than the folks that plan on a lot of camping.

Good luck from a fellow DR rider, and hope you make it further than I did (Eagle Canyon in Utah).

And with this post I am now subscribed. :lurk
  14. fanatic291

fanatic291 Desert Tortoise

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Good luck on your trip.
  15. atomikchicken

atomikchicken Miles Matter

Oddometer:
    I hope you would be so kind as to chronicle what works and does not in you kits and on your bikes. I am a decades long daily motorcycle rider and avid backpacker. With the DR650 now in my shop I am looking to combine the two activities.

Subscribed and waiting for the trip reports.
  16. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My "kit" has evolved over several years of multi-week adventure trips. I know the bike and luggage work for me. And at one time or another someone in our group has needed every spare or repair item listed except the ignition pickup (which I included because of failure reports here). Those are mostly machine-specific components (not readily available) that wear out or get broken in a minor crash and they are things you usually can't go on without. After investing a chunk of money and time to get there you really don't want to be grounded by a failed or broken $50 part.
  17. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Camping requires hauling a LOT more gear and consumables plus about 2 hours per day of setup and breakdown. Not to mention dealing with weather issues. Fortunately we were able to find lodging (motel, B&B, "dude" ranch) at convenient intervals.

I've camped. I prefer a bed, a roof and walls and HVAC.
  18. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  19. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    I am in the middle-earned 60 last month! :D
  20. NVTS

NVTS Are you ennen oh eff tee Supporter

Oddometer:
    38 greenhorn?:lol3