TAT - difference between Sam and gpsKevin

Discussion in 'Americas' started by emacs, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    If you go in late May, you won't be crossing any passes at all! Most aren't open until late June or early July.
  2. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:

Good point. BTW, Which tracks did you use?
  3. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Sam's, I wouldn't give that other dirt bag the time of day!
    Ginger Beard and BlueLghtning like this.
  4. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Anyone ride both or can tell me pros or cons for heading north like sams before dipping down or kevin more direct to west?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  5. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I don't know any pro or con since I used Sam's in 2012 before he made few changes to it. I think I did the 2nd version and he is probably on 4th or 5th version by now. My only advice is to just go out there and have fun with whatever you decide to go with. I am planning to do TAT again in few years just for heck of it and it will be interesting to see what the difference Sam's map will be in few years. Good luck!
  6. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Not sure about previous revisions to Sam's tracks to the version that I bought. Just wanted to see why Sam's and Kevin follow closely, more or less from east all the way to the point highlighted below. I've read many TAT posts and I don't recall reading any post about TAT now heading north as shown below. I am not concerned about it but would like to hear any details from other completed TAT riders.

Sam vs Kevin.JPG

Jon
  7. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Jon,
    I understand your curious.. I wonder if you actually zoom in and see the difference? Way I understand it, first version had few difficult passes and result in complains so these were removed so big bikes could ride the whole section.. and by big bikes, as in 650cc or bigger. Sam designed these route on a small bike like 250cc. I did 2nd version on a 650cc and some section were somewhat difficult but your mileage may vary depending on your riding skill. Then come a lawsuit and some routes were part of the lawsuit preventing off-road vehicles so change had to be made. But then maybe you will not know the difference as it will be hard to find the original route since some of people are protective of Sam's route they are not willing to disclose it. Maybe someone else can chime in..
  8. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Sams new route misses Nevada entirely, your grey track. Nevada has a lot of sand, which caused many riders too much toil. Some even went so far to bemoan the beauty of the desert not to their liking. The final nail in the coffin was the closure of 2 remote fuel stations, now requirung bikes to be capable of >200 miles per tank.

I dunno, i thought Nevada was a hoot
  9. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    It was hands down the best of the TAT, I liked it so much I went back and rode it again a year later.

There aren't any closed gas stations on the NV TAT currently, there were, but Denio Junction has fuel again.
    Ginger Beard and cyclopathic like this.
  10. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Dorito and larryboy,

Thanks. That explains it. I was wondering about the re-route completely bypassing Nevada as I never read any TAT threads about this.

Jon

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  11. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There seems to be some discussion about who to pay for information, or who dosent want to pay for information. I dont think that too many could find the starting point without paying Garmin or Rand Mcnally or Delorme. When you do pay for a map you expect clear , correct information. I personally do not put a lot of faith in internet chatter. I prefer dependable information if I am traveling, or building a tool shed .
    Someone asked what would happen if Sam quit updating his maps.......I would like to think that the people that have used his maps would start picking up the route in their area or state and keep the updates going to Sam's website , and keep the TAT alive.........just sayin
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think about the most reliable information one get on trip planning are as-ridden GPS tracks. I put the most stock in ones that are time stamped and relatively recent. And by looking at the speeds, one can get a pretty good idea of the difficulty of a segment.

I consider maps just a starting point when planning a trip on obscure dirt roads. Rand doesn't show these roads and maps like City Navigator and Delorme show roads that are not open to the public.

There are lots of good sources of GPS tracks here on ADV, GPSXchange, and dualsportmaps.com and other sites. With a little work you can plan a fun trip without spending a lot of money.

And you can even plan some good loop rides that eliminate the problem of how to get your bike back home.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  13. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the original TAT back in '10 thru Nevada, and rode the new route thru Idaho two years ago, both Sam's tracks. I wouldn't touch anything from the "other" guy. The original route was hands down a lot more fun, and challenging, and I actually want to do it again, just because. There were just a few sections that I missed due to weather, and so on. The new route is great, and big bike friendly. The older route is better on a lighter bike. Pick your poison! Back on the first ride, our group departed Tennessee on 15 June, we took our time, made it a vacation and finished at the end of July. If I remember correctly we averaged about 160 miles a day riding, moteled more than camped, and went over the CO passes right after they opened that year. The coldest part of the trip was high in the Oregon mountains in the morning. Hot in Nevada, but don't remember a lot of sand issues. The Black Dragon was difficult for us as we went thru right after a flash flood and the route had to be walked to see where to go as we were the first in there after the water. A group behind us followed our tracks in the mud/sand and zipped thru. Nevada was hands down my favorite part of the trip and also the most remote. One day we never saw a soul from morning to night. Just beautiful up the the mountains there, with wild flowers going wild and almost obscuring the trail.
    DCrider, larryboy and wbbnm like this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't it what Kevin essentially does?
  15. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kevin post a lot of stuff on his website, he is a very well traveled individual. I dont think that he maintains the degree of accuracy in his routes that Sam does, that being said , Sam has one long route and Kevin has many routes.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    from what I understand he (Kev) encourages local riders to make corrections, and having easy/hard alternatives and offshoots is a plus?
    sieg likes this.
  17. Downhill502

Downhill502 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am bit confused by the constant statements of "I would never ride/support that other guys route". My friend and I just did the entire TAT from Kevin's GPS tracks and it was absolutely fantastic. His added hard options were the best part and it allows you to really created a bit of your own journey based on your skill levels/bike choice.
    unswitched, sieg and cyclopathic like this.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sam is the originator of the TAT, Kevin copied the idea and offered it for free (not anymore though). These days I think they offer two different products. Sam's route is refined, big bike friendly. Kevin's offers the more difficult options, I enjoyed the single track options. I also enjoyed getting lost and the maps not being 100% accurate. You may be trespassing at times with Kevin's maps. We had to detour once because of No Trespassing signage, there were other times we felt like we were trespassing.
    unswitched likes this.
  19. Downhill502

Downhill502 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kevin's is still free, you just have to navigate between a few pages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    unswitched likes this.
  20. biker

biker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kevin's is so much easier to follow
    Downhill502 likes this.