TAT - difference between Sam and gpsKevin

Discussion in 'Americas' started by emacs, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Again, why not put both sets on both units? I am really at a loss to understand that.
    wbbnm likes this.
  2. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heels dug in, is that hard to understand?
  3. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the full TAT with both on my GPS. On my BMW Nav Kevin's show up as a layer of the background map so they are always there regardless of which tracks are loaded. It was nice to see when they diverged and have those options. Given that Sam updates and changes the TAT pretty regularly and Kevin does not, if you do what you're saying the two of you will be riding two different routes from time to time. Murphy's law says that the very time you need need to find each other will be the time you're hosed by running different tracks. Call each other? LOL, that's a good one. Good luck with that without cell service. Inreach messaging is always an option for communicating but when you're in the middle of nowhere, and you look around all you both see is trees and you don't know if the tracks are running the same right then, then where do you plan to meet up? Some town off the TAT? And when you're riding along I guess you'll just ride the route that the guy in front is following because he won't know you're GPS says something different. Just seems silly when you could just as easily have both loaded and color coded.
    sieg likes this.
  4. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Yes we know that plan isn't going to work for them. They might end up with some good stories though! I did the same as you. I bought all of Sam's tracks for $100 or so and found a free version of Kevin's from someone here on AdvRider. I had both open on Gaia on my phone in different colors- Sam in Blue because he's "true" and Kevin's in red because he is often portrayed as the "bad guy." My little joke. From Damascus where I picked up the TAT to Utah, the two sets were like 90% exactly the same, and where they did differ there was really no qualitative difference in the riding. In the few places they differed it was nice to be able to have a choice. When they differed in the morning and I was fresh, I would generally take the longer option. When they differed at 5 PM and I was exhausted, I'd take the shorter option. They always came back together in 10 or 20 miles or so. After Colorado they are almost totally different. With a little overlap in the beginning of Utah and the end of Oregon. I don't understand at all why someone wouldn't run both sets at the same time. Plus more than that in fact. In Virginia, NC, GA, eastern TN I had the SEAT tracks open in a third color. In Colorado I had the COBDR in a third color. Same in Utah, I had the UTBDR open in a third color. In fact in Utah I mostly took the UTBDR instead of either TAT to get to Green River. Although there is overlap between those three as well. Anyway, everyone has to ride their own ride.
    PittsDriver and CavReconSGT like this.
  5. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeap both tracks and show them in different colors.
    I do it all the time on rides I do. Main in red because it shows up best. Green for things I not sure of. Yellow for short cuts. Black for hard bonus sections.
    seasider and Addapost like this.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    And maybe even go a step further and put both sets on your cell phones and have a navigation app ready to go just in case.

And as noted above put some BDR tracks on in case you need a bailout.

On many units you don't have to have all these tracks visible at the same time. For me even with different colors having all these tracks visible at the same time would be confusing.

Unless you are bring a laptop along, you probably not be able to add tracks to the gps units along the way.
  7. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you get lost a lot. You’re trying to make things more difficult that they are. I’ve done may, many off-road rides in the US, Canada and Mexico. Unsure how you do your rides, but only one person leads at a time. We don’t get separated often. And there are backup plans if that occurs.

If you haven’t used SPOT and inReach, or are unsure of their capabilities, then stick with someone with better navigation skills.

I don’t what your point is, but OK, thanks for your input.
  8. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way back when------------2004 there were no tracks available for the TAT.
    Sam Correro didn't know what a tracklog was-------me and him are best friends and he came to my house and I taught him that stuff----------he's old school and I never thought he'd take the bull by the horns and learn this stuff----------but he did and now you guys have it made following his stuff.

I just wanted to share how I navigated the entire TAT back in 2004 with tracks that were not available---I think you'll find it entertaining how I did that.
    It was painstaking and fun-------------but I took his maps and roll-charts-------------and created a track and left Sam's maps and rollcharts at home----------that could have backfired on us if our gps's quit----my buddies did.
    And that is what me and Gaspipe navigated with-----------it worked out perfect.
    A trip to remember.

Sam's XR600 that he rode in the early years laying out the TAT is on display at Lake Hill Motors in Corinth, Mississippi.

Sam is extremely active to this day laying out new routes. I'm betting most of you don't know---but I watched his motorcycling skills deteriorate over the years (as mine have too)------------he no longer owns a motorcycle--------and now does his work on an ATV, side by side and 4-wheel drive truck. He's headed out West again very shortly as I just talked to him a few days ago. He's in his 80's-----not sure exactly--he might be 82 ??? I forgot.
    McKanik, davidji, seasider and 6 others like this.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend also did the manual conversion of roll chart turns to first routes and then tracks in 2006 for our TAT ride in 2007.

He did make a few mistakes, but nothing serious. I can't imagine trying to do this with a roll chart. My brain turns to mush just trying to follow tracks all day.
    BigDogAdventures and Dan Diego like this.
  10. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    Having options is always a good thing.
  11. PittsDriver

Oddometer:

Cool. I'll be looking forward to reading your ride report on how those decisions worked out for you.
    sieg and JohnfromJersey like this.
  12. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    I have nothing but major respect for Sam. Before and during our TAT ride, he answered the phone every time I called him and was always friendly and helpful in deciding on some additional excursions and some short cuts we discussed. He's an encyclopedia of knowledge and happy to share it when asked.

Glad to hear that he's still out there exploring and adding more fun to his legacy of seeing America from the road less traveled.
  13. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also bought Sam's maps many years ago and took the time to draw tracks. It taught me a lot and I was sure glad to have my old crude gps to follow instead of the roll charts. I came across another rider on the TAT trying to navigate by roll chart. Here is a picture of him.

[​IMG]
  14. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Hahahahaha!! Awesome! I’ve never used a roll chart but that is exactly how I picture it would go.
    Baroquenride, PittsDriver and sieg like this.
  15. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    Dude! THat's way over the 500 waypoint limit!
    Addapost likes this.