TAT Oct 2019 Countdown

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Robcure4, Sep 23, 2019.

1. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following along. Most of all, have fun. Looking forward to seeing your reports and pics.....

2 things:
    Heavy: Yes, the bikes are big bikes....but some degree of that difficulty will be a result of what you train on and what you are accustomed to handling....half of my practice/drill/skill time is spent on a 425 pound pig, and it feels like a relatively light bike after renting a r1200GSA for a week....the feedback you've gotten from whatever time you've spent training on your bikes should've clarified that for you already...I assume you have practiced picking up your loaded bikes, on a downhill slope, seat facing downhill, with your gear on, on gravel or mud, after doing something to get your self tired and out of breath.....

Marriage: Not saying you aren't aware of this, but....personally I have found extended bike rides are also about non-moto preparation, my dear moto brother. From those of us in the "been married a while and I can't believe my wife is letting me do this" camp, the next 3.5 days provide a golden opportunity to bust ass on every honey-do item out there. Before I went to Ecuador two years ago, I damn near painted the house, renovated the kitchen, bathed the dogs, and detailed the cars...extra grace for when you "need" to throw down on Ride Day 3 for the upgraded deluxe suite at the local 4-star hotel complete with wetbar, whirlpool, and free College Football Gameday on the plasma. And a steak.

just saying....

Have a blast
  2. longdude17

longdude17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well things are getting real, picked up the Uhaul today, gonna start loading up bikes tomorrow. The kids had a ball playing all in the back of the UHaul, and even got a bit sideways when I told them we weren’t KEEPING the blasted thing!

IMG_9402.JPG

Kinda surprised at how nice the Uhaul is! This one is relatively new with 27,xxx miles. My previous experiences with this fantastic company has been less than stellar and usually the equipment is a complete pile. The poor lady that had to check us out at the Uhaul house.... she deserves a raise... apparently the reservations / confirmation numbers from “corporate” (the 1-800 number) is virtually worthless. Robcure worked his magic once again, and we got a stellar deal. I’m not sure if she was being nice to him or was just giving us a great rate so I could get him out of there ASAP!

For those that may be looking into a truck... call Uhaul, call Penske, and call Budget, play them against each other and they will actively either price match or try to undercut the other. We got a $700 truck for a bit over $400.... it’s a win!
  3. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    3 Days to go and it's already 9 am here in Louisiana. Not sure, but I'm hoping that everyone who has ever planned to do the TAT has experienced the sleepless nights and has a nice collection of post-its all over the place. At 1 am last night, while normal people were sleeping, I'm pulling my seat off to see if there's a little more room to pack my Duracell portable jump pack......the answer is a NO. However, room enough for a few pairs of latex gloves, 2 black garbage bags and 5 small grocery bags - with room to spare. I'm up at 5:30 am this morning thinking about how the heck I was able to fill both panniers, eliminate a dry bag and my top case....I just know that I'm forgetting something extremely important and life altering. Maybe an extra sock or just one more tie wrap, who knows. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
  4. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    Like I said, the caster cart in the back was meant to be ridden down the ramp!
  5. hoop235

hoop235 n00b

Oddometer:
    Good luck to guys and I look forward to your reports. I hope you have a fun and safe trip.
    BTW: Are you doing Sam's TAT or something else?
  6. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snow boots? Just saying, you might need them.
  7. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Walmart has a "life-altering goods" section, at least the one near me does....

Can't wait to see you guys do this.
    oakcutter and Robcure4 like this.
  8. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm afflicted too, can't sleep for several nights before any multi-day trip and even though I have a bunch of checklists, I always seem to forget one or two things. Generally speaking, it's an annoyance and not a show-stopper.

But my last trip, I forgot additional microSD cards for my GoPro and Drone. Didn't end up being an issue because that trip went completely pear-shaped, but something to consider if you plan on taking pictures/video.

And I imagine you don't want folks piling on with 'remember to take this', but here's something I've found invaluable on multiple trips so far: Double Tough Compact Air Compressor. Much better than using a bicycle pump to deal with flats on the trail.

So cool to 'see' the anticipation building; looking forward to what's next :thumb
    scout68 and Robcure4 like this.
  9. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hate i missed this. I have a place at Cedar Point.
    Robcure4 likes this.
  10. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    I would expect to need them on the western half, just not the eastern half that we're planning to do. Best case scenario, we make it to OK.
  11. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    We're planning to make camp at the Cedar Point Campground after we turn in the uhaul. Hitting the beach after dropping off the truck to put the rear tires in the sand, might get arrested.....might not, lol.
    MTBRALPH and liv2day like this.
  12. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best place to get to the beach is up at the end of Coast Guard Road. (cross the bridge and turn right) The beach is lined with private residences just about everywhere. The BP station in Cedar Point has a cheap breakfast. Its across from the RV park. I'd put you guys up if I were down there, but I just had heart surgery and I'm not up for the drive.

If you pass close to Raleigh/Durham and need anything...send me a message.
  13. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the west end of emerald isle is a beach access.
    That was the point where I wanted to dip the bike tires into the sea for the TAT start, but that day the access was closed for traffic.
    There was a speed limit sign, so I assume normally this is open to public.
    Maybe someone local can shine a light on it for the guys.
    Ginger Beard and Robcure4 like this.
  14. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s it.
  15. longdude17

longdude17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I have my bike loaded in the truck and strapped down. Yes, I plan to restrap mine (for you bondage fanatics). RobCure is headed to load his Tenere, then drop the Uhaul back at my house in the morning.

IMG_9428.JPG

Some kids never grow up!

IMG_9426.JPG

Few finishing touches, gotta throw in my panniers & duffel, pick up some Monsters and a few road snacks and we will be sitting on go!

Last few days have been a whirlwind at work, enough of all that stress, Time to enjoy whatever time I have left with the family and do as little work as possible!

T-minus 2 day till go time....
    FlatlandKSBrett and scout68 like this.
  16. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    2 Days and counting down. Loaded up both bikes last night, both are turned facing the door for a quick and speedy getaway. The anticipation is a beast, I'd say that I've mentally unpacked and repacked 10,000 times -- oh what fun it is though. Rookie stuff, I guess. One note for me is that, yes, my tank bag is a bit bigger than I really need. It's like a transformer, but for motorcycles! Cool, it's a tank bag....wait, now it's a backpack....whoa, now it's an emergency flotation device for a small family....holy cow, I can actually put half of a cow in this bad boy....son of a b, my helmet fits in it quite nicely with 9 pairs of gloves, 1/2 a chicken, riding pants, 3 riding jackets, 7 liners, a toddler, 11 pairs of crocs.........I might need two more of these to live in if the weather gets bad. Seriously though, it's huge. Plenty of extra space. Been looking forward to this for a very long time, we appreciate the tips and messages - Thank You! Hope to see a few folks on the trails!

Attached Files:

scout68 and liv2day like this.
  17. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    We found an access road to the beach on Emerald Isle, hoping to hit it before dark on Friday.
  18. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    18 hrs and counting before we depart for NC on a 14.5 hr truck ride. Bikes loaded up and secured, dry bags packed up and ready, boots and helmets are assembled and ready to be loaded onto the truck. Last minute preparations are minimal, making sure that the real necessities aren't sitting in a box in the corner. This time tomorrow we should be somewhere between Opelika, AL and LaGrange, GA - if all goes well. Some overdue family time this evening, blessing of the journey and riders and hopefully some good rest before rolling out into the dark. I've read many forums over the last few days leading up to many many adventure ride trips, glad to be in such good company. Again, we appreciate the feedback and updates on the routes ahead!! I have the new HOG ready to run this bad boy (yes, it's photoshopped). TENERE TAMING THE BEAST.jpg
    scout68, sanders446 and longdude17 like this.
  19. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    THE DAY - we are rolling East along i12 with coffee in hand, uhaul loaded up with all of the essential adventure tools and gadgets, all of the 2am energy available and necessary for a good beginning. Dustin is, for all intents and purposes, testing the uhaul speedometer capabilities for design flaws. We should've applied for a grant! Nonetheless, all of the frontend loading, planning, scheduling and preparation will soon be put to the test. Crap... a 3am realization - this is literally what we do for a living, we're on a turnaround, of sorts. An adventure turnaround, this better not turn into a bunch of add-ons. It's all part of the journey. We'll update along the way.
    Davidprej, scout68 and Ginger Beard like this.
  20. planzman

planzman commie bike rider

Oddometer:
    Ride safe!
    Robcure4 likes this.