TAT Oct 2019 Countdown

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Robcure4, Sep 23, 2019.

1. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    Y'all have fun now.
  2. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride safe. Soak it up. Have a blast. Update when you can
  3. longdude17

longdude17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made it to Cedar Point! We made great time, we drove from Baton Rouge, LA to Cedar Point,NC....1058 miles in 15 hrs! I’m a bit disappointed in the Uhaul, it averaged only 8.8mpg and despite several attempts, couldn’t get the speed-o-meter over 85mph. It must be defective.

15hrs in a truck takes a toll on a fella, tho we did coin a new term that needs to be added to Urban dictionary....”road roids”. It is defined as a condition that one obtains when driving a Uhaul for a prolonged amount of time while surrounded by people who are either slow drivers, poorly skilled drivers or generally just bad drivers. This condition is often confused with road rage, but differs slightly in appearance and delivery. Road Roids is characteristic of someone who is overwhelmingly butt hurt about shitty drivers that are constantly making you hit the brakes and/or ride in the left lane for prolonged periods of time. If left untreated, it will morph into full fledge road rage. Treatment for this condition is quite simple.... remove Robert from the drivers seat.

Back on topic, we arrived around 6:30 pm, just enough time to get the bikes unloaded and the gear loaded. Robert tho, managed to make it approximately 3.5 feet before breaking the ice....dude didn’t even make it to the road!

IMG_9489.JPG

All is well, we made it to the camp ground and set up camp by 7:45.

59192571167__511C2F16-E1F1-4776-9628-A86A75FD2B46.JPG

59192570077__80AC4FD6-7AE2-4F06-936E-71468DA8A2B4.JPG

Been a long haul in a Uhaul, time for rest.

Tomorrow is first day on the TAT!
  4. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys are ok. That was a heck of a day.
  5. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    What a long haul from LA to NC, but we made it safe and sound. Unloaded bikes and gear, loaded gear onto bikes, found a few items that were supposed to be left at home....oh the fun. A friendly reminder - when moving your bike to load the gear, always check for stray straps. That rear wheel stops moving should the wayward strap find its way down. Sudden stop on an incline, no less, set it down nice and slow. We'll count them after the gear is loaded and we're on the trail. Yeah, that's it. Always good to have friends along! Hell of a fun day, looking forward to the TAT in the am. View attachment 1926206 View attachment 1926208 View attachment 1926208
  6. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on making it to the starting point fellas :thumb :thumb And good job getting the first 'crash' out of the way early :lol3 :lol3

15 hours in a Uhaul, woof. Did a 15 hour stint driving to Death Valley earlier this year, but it was in my truck - far more comfortable...lol. Still a long arse time, especially when dealing with moronic drivers.

Looking forward to the next updates, bet it'll be great to have the wheels in sand on the Atlantic side before starting your trek west.

Knobby side down guys :ricky
    Robcure4 likes this.
  7. Just Cliff

Just Cliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just seeing this, ride safe & make the best of it. Looks like y'all have everything planned out well.

I'm in central Arkansas (Greenbrier), you'll pass just north of me on your way through. If you need help, a shop, a place to camp just look me up. I'll be glad to help out. Luckily for y'all it's finally cooled off this weekend, been hotter than hell.
    Robcure4 likes this.
  8. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    Thank you, we may hit you up for a cup of coffee too!
  9. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    Day 1 is done! Cedar Creek Campgrounds worked out very well for us, nice place and very nice people. We packed up early and headed to the Emerald Isle beach. Yeah, 1500' of loose sand before you could touch water....leave your bikes and just go wet your toes, trust me. Beautiful area. Hit the TAT by 0750 and made some+ good time, right up until we took the suggested route through Hoffman Forest - DO NOT, it's private hunting property. We spent an hour or more just trying to find an open gate. Found our way out and didn't look back. Same for Clement Rd off of 211, the old road along the tracks is also private. Hit spotty rain showers , but the cooler temps made it a beautiful day to ride. We were able to see the real NC - an agricultural gold mine, hard working people getting at it. Then the smell of progress, whew, it's liquid poo but it too was being put to use. Cotton fields as far as you could see, bales of it ready to go. Several small towns that appear to be fading away, old buildings crumbling back into the earth. Rolling hills, sweet turns that make you itch to test those chicken strips. Today ended a little different, a lightness to our 360 mile trek to help us end our day. Dinner with friends/family, hot shower, laughter, joking and conversation on all topics imaginable. We appreciate the hospitality and generosity of our hosts, thank you for a wonderful stress-free evening. Today's test - passed, minimal scrapes and the bikes performed well. Oh yeah, keep your eyes on what's in front of you and not the cool trackhoe sitting in the middle if the lake.....you may hit piles of fresh loose gravel doing 25+ 20191005_230151.jpg 20191005_142410.jpg mph, it can happen! We'll be back at it in about 7 hrs!

Attached Files:

10. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoffman forest is owned by ncstate university, controversy over the university trying to sell it to loggers. Not surprised it was gated. Couple of nice sandy roads in the Croatan NF.

Have fun, be careful dudes.
    Ginger Beard and Robcure4 like this.
  11. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Too bad, it looks like a fun track!
    Robcure4 likes this.
  12. Just Cliff

Just Cliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We got coffee, beer in the shop fridge, firewood & nice outdoor shower at the shop.
    Robcure4 likes this.
  13. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I see a couple more spots on the Yammy for another half dozen bags to be attached!!!! :rofl

Damn!!!! That thing is loaded!!!!
    rev.co, Robcure4 and Ginger Beard like this.
  14. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I really dig the look of the super Ten. To me it’s like the H1 Hummers that guys buy, fit out with massive wheels,lights, racks, winches, and all other sorts of bad-assery. Totally bad ass rolling down the trails/road.....but I’ll be damned if I want to be tasked with pulling one out of the deep.

Hope you guys are having a blast.
    Robcure4 likes this.
  15. longdude17

longdude17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day two done!!!

We got a bit of a late start, rolled out of Charleston roughly 930am (good company and good coffee causes these things lol) and slabbed it to Troutman as quickly as possible (45 min ride) As we meandered west we rode some of the best roads I’ve ever had the privilege of riding! Groomed gravel & gnarly mountain & Jeep roads that wound around, up, down, and all over some of the prettiest mountain ranges east of the Mississippi. Sunshine turned into fog, then misting rain, and riding mountain roads up in the clouds, which gave way to smoother paved twistys that challenged both men and bike.
    59207652325__8183148F-E7BC-4B9C-9661-57BD040F1211.JPG
    IMG_9531.JPG
    IMG_9542.JPG

We ended up getting lost in the thrill of 50mph swoops and dives and realized that it was 3pm, haven’t eaten lunch and we had no plans for camp. Grabbed a quick bbq lunch at the Old Hampton Store and set plans to be in Hot Springs NC by 5pm to make camp.

That’s when we realized something, what appears to be a 2 hr ride on the gps, takes us 4 hrs to accomplish... maybe it’s the tracks, maybe it’s us... who cares? But I don’t quite get how riders can make it from the coast to deals gap in two days and not skip sections... minor details! Lol

We rode through till well after dark grinding out twistes and enjoying the cool evening, seeing tons of gorgeous countryside and plenty of the resident animals (both human and wildlife) Robert just about convinced a wild turkey to become a hood ornament, but some creative bobbing and weaving prevented what would have been an awesome story.

GOPR0054.JPG
    GOPR0040.JPG

We arrived in Hot Springs NC around 730, with ZERO cell coverage (lost it 3 hours before) and had to sweet talk the host lady into letting me use the land line to call my wife. Made camp shortly after, not realizing how close we were to the river, started a fire, sat around eating a camp dinner, listening to the water and talking about sasquatch’s and tales of people almost becoming one with turkeys, while drinking a nip of wild turkey.

IMG_9564.JPG

Rode a total of 260 miles, got wet, got lost, and learned that certain parts of the US are still in the Stone Age!

Both bikes are holding there own, the more I ride my Tiger, the more I like the bike. It has a fantastic engine that you can lug into corners and power out and up steep hills. The suspension is a bit light for rough off road, but it holds its own so far. It’s more capable than my skills can tolerate, but it’s been a great experience so far. Robert is holding his own on the S10, I tend to walk off in the curves, but he is flopping & flogging the big cow around the curves & switch backs like he’s been riding for years.

Amazing day!

Attached Files:

Davidprej, Robcure4, HuckIt and 4 others like this.
  16. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    20191007_095802.jpg 20191007_111621.jpg Day 3, oh what a ride. The misty mess and blocks of rain allowed us to still get in almost 200 miles of nothing but beautiful mountain scenery and a little bit of down time to watch the bears at Cades Cove. Smokey Mountains, what a beautiful sight up amongst the clouds and cool mist. Seems like we rode for 500 miles today, impressive sights along the way. There's something about old abandoned buildings, but there's so much more to the old houses that mother nature has all but pulled back into the earth. Many lives lived, many stories now silent to the time that has passed. We talked earlier about how the pioneers just up and rode out into the thick forests and paved the way for us all to enjoy. Tired and weary, but with clean clothes tonight. We found a spot at the Mountaineer Campground and set up our tents. Not too bad, was hoping for some softer ground, but we love gravel.....lol, I have an ultra light cot and can't tell the difference. Off to try the Tail of the Dragon in the morning and another day to enjoy the TAT. Couldn't ask for a better riding partner, always willing to check out the crazy routes along the TAT. 20191007_095802.jpg 20191007_095802.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    It looks loaded, but there's a lot room in the top case and both panniers. It was easier to distribute the weight like it is. Handles great!! It's like driving grand dad's tractor, lol
  18. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    I'm still a novice rider at best. I bought it a year ago and have put maybe 1,200 highway miles on it. I've also only been riding a year, not kidding, started when I bought it for the TAT. It's a beast, but my other ride is also a beast - H2 SUT, they handle very similar!
  19. Robcure4

Robcure4 HooKeD1

Oddometer:
    We need a shop like this! Where are you? lol
  20. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done fellas. The reports are a treat and sounds like you guys are really enjoying it. If I could throw a suggestion your way....Snoring Bear restaurant in Townsend. Get the burger with the goat cheese. You will not regret it.....that is , unless you’re just not into goat cheese I guess ....

Ride safe. Have a blast.