TAT old and new mixed

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoPet, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the valley are great rock formations on the side and the river on the bottom. Along are many campgrounds, but I have no supplies so my destination is Prineville for today.
    IMG_2701 test.jpg IMG_2705 test.jpg

The river seams to be good for fishing.
    IMG_2706 test.jpg IMG_2707 test.jpg

In Prineville I found the Crook County RV Park. It is ideally located at the city entrance and newly adapted for tents and a new Wash building. Very nice staff and good value. The only downside is the fairground next to it.
    I followed the recommendation for dinner at Dillon's Grill. It was very busy but I had luck. The ribs I ordered where definitely in the top 3, and I love ribs.
  2. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    9th September
    Day 35

The night was cool, but no problem as the sun come up early. Today I head east first on paved road before it turns on forest roads through Ochoco National Forest.
    Day 35.png

Leaving Prineville.
    IMG_2710 test.jpg

The route is, after the initial paved section, quite remote. Great riding.
    IMG_2711 test.jpg

IMG_2714 test.jpg
  3. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of the roads have not seen traffic very often.
    IMG_2721 test.jpg IMG_2723 test.jpg

And long stretches with,... nothing.
    IMG_2725 test.jpg IMG_2726 test.jpg
  4. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a fuel stop in John Day I passed many burned houses. It is always sad when you see this. But the forest is coming back.
    IMG_2729 test.jpg

On one of the mountains was a fire watch tower. I stopped and had a chat with watchmen. He is there all summer, so guys when you pas by, stop and have a chat. I'm sure he likes that.
    IMG_2734 test.jpg

Shortly after this I came across the 2 Kiwis on their TAT ride with Grooms. We had a nice chat and exchanged some information about the route.
    IMG_2737 fremd.jpg

More forest in recovery mode.
    IMG_2737 test.jpg
    Gordon, simi.d, victay and 5 others like this.
  5. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was already quite late in the afternoon and the following road was running through the woods with strange water channels across the road.
    They have been so high hills that you needed to slow down to a nearly complete stop before crossing. Than sections have been with fist size rocks covering the road.
    Not a pleasant ride.
    IMG_2741 test.jpg IMG_2744 test.jpg

After a log time riding through the woods I bailed as soon as I had a chance and it became clear that I will no make it to the next town before dusk. So I hit the Hwy to Ontario.
    IMG_2745 test.JPG

I still arrived there late. Initially I didn't plan to go that far but I didn't see any reasonable campground along the way.
    Also the one I stayed in the end (west of Ontario) was a bit shabby or better said real basic.
    td63, SLUGGO, victay and 5 others like this.
  6. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Followed the Kiwi's trip with great interest as well. Quite courageous to do that on small bikes!!
    MotoPet and Ladybug like this.
  7. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Thats the one!
  8. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ricky
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  9. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR and thanks for sharing your adventure!
  10. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10th September
    Day 36

Day 36.png

Between Ontario and Boise it is a nice mixture of small towns and farmroads.
    IMG_2749 test.JPG IMG_2753 test.JPG

Before coming to Horseshoe bend the route runs luckily on the south side of the river as on the main road is a big line of cars and trucks.
    IMG_2755 test.JPG

The GPS track into Horseshow bend is running across a bridge which is closed since a long time, but the alternate is just a bit south.
    Still it would be a nicer entry point into town over the bridge as it would more or les come right into town center. (If you want to call it center.)
    I just refuelled and pressed on.
    simi.d, Pete S and scout68 like this.
  11. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From here to east of Boise I was kind of in the zone. No pics. It was very similar to the last two days.
    This changed at the place where the route turns again to the east just outside of Boise. Here are some dams creating artificial lakes. Only thing is, that those lakes have a very low water level.
    Seeing from other reports and g..gle maps it seems to be already a longer situation. I still imagine how nice this must have been when the water as all the way up to the road.
    IMG_2759 test.JPG IMG_2765 test.JPG

The road is very often an annoying washboard and this slows you down as the corners are too sharp to go fast enough to skip over the washboard.
    Further into the valley the road runs along the riverbed which I here no longer retained.
    IMG_2767 test.JPG

It seems to go endless on and on. Than the route turns south across a mountain into Featherville.
    IMG_2768 test.JPG

The chat at the Refuel stop in Featherville revealed that the track further east is blocked by a landslide since a long time (years).
    I asked if there is a possibility to get trough with the bike and the answers are mixed. So I give it a go and head about 10 miles into the valley along the river and nice campgrounds.
    simi.d, Pete S and scout68 like this.
  12. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I came to the landslide it is a massive half the mountain rock slide style. Basically I'm standing in front of a rock bank which reaches into the river.
    I briefly checkout if it is possible to go across the river but it doesn't look like it is possible.

Slide Blockage Idaho 2.jpg

Slide Blockage Idaho.jpg
    Looking afterwards on g..gle I maybe should have looked closer but at this time it didn't make sense to take the risk. Especially as I was alone.
    So I turned around and had to go all the way south to the Hwy 20.
    In Fairfield I refuel and have to make the decision If I shall go north to join the TAT again, or if I continue towards sun valley and rejoin the TAT there.
    I couldn't see any campgrounds on the direction straight north of Fairfield and I will not make it to sun valley if I go this route.
    As it is already quite late and me not being prepared for this detour I decided to go to sun valley.

I stop in Bellevue at the Riverside RV and campground. This was a nice spot and I went for a make up dinner for the disappointing detour.
    At the campground was another ADV rider. He is on a North-South (Alaska to Argentina) journey and uses it for a good cause. We had a long chat and it was interesting to hear his experiences and plans.
    Unfortunately I have no link to any RR, if he writes on.

This section I didn't make any pictures as I was focused on 'problem' solving.
    (sorry)
  13. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Really enjoying your report MP. And this is a portion of the US that fee guys from my region may ever see. Thank you for taking the time to labor through this and for the fantastic pictures.

Although not needed as your RR is already great, any breakdown of gear, (details on tent, stove, pads, etc) and how you have it sorted , would be cool too.

Again, thank you. Keep it coming.
  14. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I will do a gear information post on the end for all which are interested.
    scout68 and joenuclear like this.
  15. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    11th September
    Day 37

Day 37.png
    After a cool night I used the help of the other ADV rider to change my rear tire. Even more his bike. I couldn't get it off the rim so his side stand came in handy.
    The installation was ok except that it didn't wanted to seat. Regardless of all methods used there was no way. So I had to give up on that and accept the not perfectly fitted tire.
    I left the campground after packing up and kept an eye out for a garage to get some air pressure to seat the tire properly.

Shortly after leaving Bellevue on the right hand side is a industrial area close to the airport and I saw the Woodside Motorsport shop.
    Set the indicator and hoped to get some help. After waiting a bit, I could explain my situation and was send around the corner to the maintenance area.
    There the mechanic came with the compressor and some grease stuff and we tried the best. Deflated, inflated several times and finally with a really high pressure the tire popped into place.
    What a relief. In addition I asked if I could leave my old tire and how much I owe them. Mechanic went to the office and came back, … nothing. What? No way. No they said we are happy to help out travellers like you.
    How generous I thought and Karma played along as I met Hackmanship later that morning and he was in the search for tires, tubes and some other stuff. So I was pleased to tell him about Woodside Motorsports.

Sun Valley is touristic territory and nothing I was looking for on this trip. But soon past Ketchum this changed. Great mountain roads and views.
    IMG_2777 test.JPG IMG_2797 test.JPG

This is from Antelope Pass looking backwards.
    IMG_2815 test.JPG
    joenuclear, GregDavidL and Pete S like this.
  16. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And at the summit of the pass.
    IMG_2818 test.JPG

Unfortunately I do not have a picture on the east side of the pass and my video didn't work. That was great a ride down.
    Further on in the valley it looked like this.
    IMG_2820 test.JPG

And shortly before reaching the Hwy 93 like that.
    IMG_2827 test.JPG

You see on the gps track that I did a detour to the Klim Headoffice in Rigby. The plan was to let them know about my experience with their cloths and maybe make a deal on an exchange due to my size issue with the clothes.
    To say the least, it was a waste of time. Not only that the person I was talking to was not interested on my feedback at all the only other comment was: Quote: You can by a new set which fits better for full price.
    So disappointed as I heard so many times how helpful Klim is and that they listen to the customers.

Anyhow, had back to Arco where I met another TAT rider (see his report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/k-runs-the-tat.1335744/). We had a chat and decided to take on the offer of a free campsite in town from Scar with his Honey's Park. It is just a field with some electrical power outlets, no amenities, but as I said for free.
    This is particular nice as the KAO in town is even more expensive than expected from a KAO with all their service anyway. Too long evening story telling happend before it was chilly and we went to sleep.
    IMG_2833 test.JPG
    Gordon, RG1984, simi.d and 7 others like this.
  17. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    12th September
    Day 38

Day 38.png

No sun this morning. We had over to the gas station for a coffee and then its time to go separate ways. He continues north on the TAT and I'm going south.
    Leaving Arco. Those Barns are quite common around here. For me they are unusual but I assume that this build style is for Tornado protection.
    IMG_2839 test.JPG IMG_2835 test.JPG

At on stage the TAT leaves the gravel road and the tracks nearly disappear completely. My GPS has no road shown so I have to follow the bread crumbs and not the road.
    The risk that the road goes somewhere else is to big and the distance to the next fuel station is a bit to far for experiments. Later it shows that I could have stayed on the road, but better be safe with the route.
    IMG_2841 test.JPG
    Gordon and joenuclear like this.
  18. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Route runs along the Craters of the Moon National Monument and it really remote. There is a sign that you are crossing the Great Rift.
    IMG_2845 test.JPG IMG_2847 test.JPG

If the sign wouldn't there I maybe would ride by without noticing.
    IMG_2848 test.JPG

Than there where some road signs with destination information and one is the Bear Cave. No Idea what this is but its only about 2 miles off the TAT and I will unlikely come here again soon.
    So I go for it. First can't find the cave, no more signs until you stand in front of it.
    IMG_2854 test.JPG
    joenuclear likes this.
  19. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't expect much and was surprised about the size of this Lavatube.
    To get an idea you can see a pellet in the cave. I don't know how far it goes in, although I walked down and a bit in but soon gave up and returned to the bike.
    IMG_2860 test.JPG

The Lave created interesting formations.
    IMG_2880 test.JPG

Already 60 miles through a lot of nothing since Arco.
    IMG_2897 test.JPG

Water is changing the landscape as soon as I approach American Falls.
    IMG_2901 test.JPG
  20. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuel Stop for the bike and myself in American Falls. A bit disappointing but at least I'm not hungry anymore.
    So no regrets to continue.
    IMG_2909 test.JPG

Soon after town all is again farmland. For me unusual to do the harvest with a truck but with this field size.
    IMG_2916 test.JPG IMG_2922 test.JPG

No idea what farm product the 'orange' plant is but you can see it a lot.
    IMG_2926 test.JPG