TAT old and new mixed

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoPet, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I glad that there was no rain while I'm riding that kind of roads.
    IMG_2932 test.JPG

Wide farmland!
    IMG_2934 test.JPG

Abandoned homestead next to the TAT.
    IMG_2935 test.JPG

And a still running homestead. The TAT runs through.
    As I ride slowly through I see a guy working on his machines. Friendly waving from both of us.
    IMG_2940 test.JPG
    joenuclear and simi.d like this.
  2. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More farms.
    IMG_2941 test.JPG

Approaching Tremonton where I want to stay for the night.
    IMG_2944 test.JPG

That didn't work out. Did not find a open campground and had to continue further south.
    The new plan was to stay in the Willard Bay State Park, but they wanted to charge the same amount as the fully equipped KOA next door.
    Very friendly and helpful staff at the KOA, just some of the dog owners have been very rude as they walked their dogs on the tent spots.
    Hmm not so great, especially as the campground has even a dedicated gras field for the dogs. I guess it was to much asked for walking another 30 meters.

Nevertheless a good stay. Laundry done and a good sleep.
  3. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    do you think the DR 650 was a good bike choice, or would you recommend bigger or smaller bike.
  4. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The DR 650 is a good compromise for the TAT.
    The reasons for me have been: Not too heavy, not too expensive so no bad feeling when dropped, Still big enough engine for Hwy when needed, easy to get parts.

I'm sure there are better bikes for individuell sections but they are either not so good for the longer stretches or they are far more expensive.
    Of course there are not only positive things. It's still a carburetor bike with all the downsides on high elevations. On higher speed the fuel consumption goes up a lot.
    wadethewanderer and dirt hokie like this.
  5. gmountai

gmountai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moto Pet, great RR! These are Potato Cellars. They are partially underground to control inside temperature. Idaho Potatoes can be harvested and stored, then taken to market as market demands. Would of enjoyed hosting you here in Boise when you passed through.
    DiggerD and Fat Chance like this.
  6. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting me know. I had no idea that this is the reason for the construction.
  7. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    13th September
    Day 39

Out in the desert is the theme of the day.
    Day 39.png

I have to ride a bit north to join back the TAT.
    The route heads West, passing the Golden Spike National Historic Site where the Central Pacific and Union Pacific railroads joint for the first trans continental railway.
    I have been here many years ago. It was nothing else than the spike and the 2 Lokomotive back then. Now this is different although I was lucky and the parking lot was not busy.
    IMG_2945 test.JPG
    IMG_2951 test.JPG IMG_2959 test.JPG
  8. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Visitor Center was good and there are Rangers? which explain the history and so on.
    3 times a day the locomotives perform live action. Nice to see if you like trains.

When the next Busload of tourist showed up it was time to leave and continue West.
    IMG_2965 test.JPG

Nice wide open views and some glimpse of the salt lake.
    IMG_2972-74.jpg
    The Route follows loosely the old train route, but there is very little to see of the remaining's.
    IMG_2984 test.JPG IMG_2986 test.JPG
  9. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before crossing the Hwy on the way south, you need to cross the Emigrant Pass and just before passing Devils Garden.
    IMG_2991 test.JPG IMG_2998 test.JPG

After crossing the Hwy and this dry riverbed it goes more or less straight south towards Wendover, but it is a long stretch.
    IMG_3005 test.JPG IMG_3009 test.JPG
  10. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can imagine how remote this area is. I have seen the entire way only 2 cars.
    IMG_3013-15 test.jpg

If you look closely you can see a first signs of civilization.
    IMG_3022 test.JPG
    And than paved road down from the range to the lake.
    IMG_3025 test.JPG

I arrived at the gas station with 1/4Gallon of fuel left in my tank (spare fuel was not touched) and felt really lucky. How lucky I was had been revealed when I wanted to start the engine.
    Noop, not happening, battery dead. And I mean dead. No chance to start the bike with pushing .

Not such a big deal I thought as there where many semi trucks at the station. So I asked for a jumper cable.
    Apparently nobody had any. Not even race drivers which stopped for refueling their truck as well.
    A father and son where so kind to help me out by bringing me to a Autoparts store. Thanks for that! I got a new battery and because it needed to be charged first they borrowed me a starter pack.
    With this I was able to start the bike and ride into town where I waited to get the new battery for installation.

After this I searched for a place to sleep and had to stay at the KAO. The town was packed with people who came for the race weekend.
    Anyway I headed out to see the famous salt lake race track. Followed the paved road into the lake first.
    IMG_3027 test.JPG
  11. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the distance you can see the cars in the pit lane.
    IMG_3028 test.JPG

It doesn't look like, but I was to late for a visit.
    And because this was one of the few weekends where the access is closed for the public due to the race (you need to pay an entrance fee) I planned to come back the following day.
    IMG_3032 test.JPG
    joenuclear, scout68 and Pete S like this.
  12. Tankdon

Tankdon n00b

Oddometer:
    Great job is all that I can say... Going to do tat this year also on a DR.. What rain gear did you take and did you keep the stock gas tank ?
  13. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Btw, did you change the carb jetting to deal with higher elevations?
  14. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used the Klim Traverse set which is Goretex and due to this fully water proof.
    The Gas Tank on the bike is the IMS 4.9Gallon tank. I always had enough fuel but also carried a 1 Gallon Rotopax for safety. (never used)

Enjoy the trip, and do your research. I was not too good on that. ;-)
  15. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I did not, mainly because the problem only was significant on the last maybe 200-300 feet on the high Colorado Passes.
    So not a big deal, especially as I was in no hurry so not required often the full power of the bike. And I have very little experience with carburetor bikes.
    For next time I might take jetting on the trip and use it.
    DCrider likes this.
  16. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    14th September
    Day 40

After packing up I headed to the Race track. The markings helped to orient.
    IMG_3033 test.JPG

I have been told that this kind of an event is only happening 3 times a year, so I feel lucky that I see an actual race with all the things I only know from TV. (Registration, Technical Check, …)
    IMG_3035 test.JPG IMG_3039 test.JPG
    And of course the real Highspeed oriented vehicles.
    IMG_3044 test.JPG
    joenuclear likes this.
  17. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Classic Cars, all kinds of motorbikes, and special cars.
    IMG_3054 test.JPG IMG_3065 test.JPG

Some are very professional.
    IMG_3070 test.JPG IMG_3077 test.JPG
    Gordon, joenuclear and DCrider like this.
  18. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some more basic setup which was not less ambiguous.
    IMG_3083 test.JPG IMG_3084 test.JPG

1st time on a real Salt Lake.
    IMG_3089 test.JPG IMG_3096 test.JPG
    Gordon and joenuclear like this.
  19. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have been allowed to go a short distance towards the speed measurement point, but always too far away from the actual track.
    Barely seen the cars passing by. This is the view back to the Pit Lane.
    IMG_3103 test.JPG

The Salt Lake is not fully flat!
    IMG_3108 test.JPG

But you can go to the start point and watch the preparation and the start clearance.
    Very interesting and a special flair.
    IMG_3116 test.JPG

After taking in the atmosphere of such an event it was not easy to leave the place so soon.
    I can understand now better the fascination of this ans why people devote so much time and money for it.
  20. Tankdon

Tankdon n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answer.. So how much trouble would I be in if I just ran with the stock tank and a 1 gal. extra canister?