TAT old and new mixed

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoPet, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the end of my ride on the TAT. From here I headed east and than north to take on the UTBDR.
    I will post that on a separate RR.

For this trip I want to thank all who have contributed to the successful completion of it.
    In particular
    - Ken (helping me to organize the bike, get ready and also for all his support in all kind of situations)
    - Deborah and Allen who have been the kindest support and a big help in NC
    but also many others have helped me and made in various ways the trip being a great experience.

In fact I enjoyed this so much that I want to do more of this kind of riding.

There was the question about the gear I used and my experience with it.
    I will do the best to summarize it but I'm sure that some things are going to be missed.
    So please ask if you would like to know something in particular.

List follows soon.
    dickosaurus, Gordon, td63 and 3 others like this.
  2. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First of all it depends which route you going to take.
    As the stock tank has only 3.4 gallons and the IMS tank has 4,8 as a new unit (it grows a bit over time) you would be short of 0.4 gallons to the range I had. (when you take the extra gallon)
    There are sections where I would not feel safe with the stock tank and some where it definitely would not work.
    In addition you always need to keep safety in mind. Maybe you have to turn back or it is a hard terrain where the fuel consumption goes up.
  3. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thank you so much for posting your adventure on the TAT. I'm saving this report for reference when I get to ride this route. You have so much useful information included as well as an entertaining story.

I'm keeping this as a thread I'm watching and hope you will post a link to your UTBDR ride report here. I don't want to miss following that one too.
    i4bikes likes this.
  4. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following and I will post the link here when I start the RR.
    RG1984, joenuclear and Ladybug like this.
  5. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where I remember the brand, I will write it in bold letters.

My comments are in Italic.

DR650:
    • Wolfman Expedition Bags: Kept all dry. Downside difficult to stuff things in properly as they do not keep the form. At the same time this is an advantage as you can adjust the size to your needs. Good to remove and install once the straps are adjusted.
    • Wolfman Duffel Bag same as above
    • RAM Mount for Tablet (8-inch) and Garmin Explorer: The tablet mount was a last minute purchase and it worked perfectly in holding my 8-inch tablet secure and safely in place. Would by it again anytime.
    • Rotopax 1Gallon Canister never needed but it was good for the peace of mind. When used without the saddle bags you need to make sure that the locking device is tight, as the tank expands/retracts a bit with the temperature changes. This can be enough to release the lock.
    • Electric Compressor (Brought it from Europe and worked well. I have seen similar units in the states.) Bring one again as it is very nice that you do not neet to pump by hand after and exhausting tire-change in the heat.
    • Basic Tools for tire change and Chain repairs and the tool kit for the bike
    • Extra chain link (didn’t need it bud for the peace of mind, ….
    • Chain-lube (bought dedicated chain lube and found it working well)
    • Spare tube front and back with extra valves and caps (Will buy new tubes before leaving)
    • Fuses, Duct tape, JB Weld (quick), Zip ties, Puncture repair kit, bulbs, [Duct tape needed often, same as Zip ties and puncture repair kit (TipTop from bicycle store)]
    • Spare Spark plugs (not needed)
    • Brake and Clutch Lever (not needed)
    • 14 teeth sprocket (great for steeper climbs and single trails. Safed my ass one time.)
    • Several Power outlets (cigarette lighter style) (bought various brands and types. They all didn’t last very long. It seams that the constant vibration was not good or them. I also used it with an USB adapter to charge my tablet during the ride. Those adapters failed as well at least once a week.)
    • Baby wet towels (great to get clean hands on the road)
    • Baby powder (for tube change, no idea if it helps or not)

Clothes:
    • Klim Traverse Jacket and Pants (Goretex): I have mixed feelings about this set. The pocket location and design as well as the zipper installation and orientation didn’t work for me. On the other hand, the ventilation always worked great and it kept me dry .
    • Sidi Boots Adventure 2 (Goretex): Liked those boots. One time my foot got caught between the bike and a big rock while I was going a good pace and I didn’t even feel the hit (no pain). Fully waterproof all the way up. They have been just a bit warm when it is hot (naturally). Still ok to walk around if it is not too far.
    • Basic flip-front helmet (Probiker): Brought it Europe as I got a very good deal on it. Very cheap, not the best but it did the job. I didn’t know if I will continue doing this riding style at the time and I didn’t want to spend several hundreds of dollars on it. In future, I will buy a better one.
    • 2 pair standard No-name gloves : nothing do complain. On my first trip I used Motocross gloves which have been great but very thin and they caused me numb feeling in my hands. That’s why I bought cheap leather gloves and brought a second set for the rainy days.
    • Rain Jacket (Goretex) (Millet): didn’t used it as the Klim Jacket did the same Job, would not bring it again when I have a similar Jacket
    • Warm Jacket small packing (Ortovox Swisswool): extremely nice and super cozy when the temperature falls. At the same time very small packable. It was expensive but worth every penny.
    • Hiking shoes (Salomon): Had them since a long time and use them for daily walkaround and hiking when needed. Would bring them again even they are a bit bulky.
    • Crocs (A bit bulky but great to wear. Unfortunately, I donated one to the Warloop Road in Arkansas without noticing it. If enough room is available to pack them I would do anytime.)
    • Shirts, underwear and socks
    • Hiking Pants (great for the evening and the non-riding time.)
    • Light jogging pants (good for the time in the tent and other circumstances)
    • MSR big and small travel towel (great as they pack really small and dry very quickly)
    • Windbreaker hat (nice for cooler evenings and mornings)
    • Earplugs (tailored) (I need them when there is snoring or traffic noise for a good night sleep.)

Equipment:
    • Tent Vaude Mark III: I have this tent since many years and it is still a great tent. It kept me try in the strongest rain, is stable in strong wind and it is easy to pack and set up. I particularly bought it for its frames located on the outside and the inner and outer tent being connected normally together. Don’t know if you have this brand in the US.
    • Ground sheet for the tent: I’m a fan of this extra layer on the ground for tent floor protection and have one for all my tents.
    • Tarp (There are many people travelling only with a tarp and they make it sound the best ever. I used it one time and although it did the job I would not bring it again. If I’m not travelling alone maybe as you can easily create a dry place outside of your tent.)
    • Exped Mattress Synmat 7 (with inflating bag): Best mattress I ever had. Packing small and still very comfortable to sleep on. The extra thickness is also a great insulation against the cold from the ground.) The one I brought from Europe I had for many years (about 10). So, I was not disappointed when I woke up one night and it was low on air. Inflating again helped only for some hours. I checked it with a water bath, but the leak was so small that I couldn’t find it. Being on the road I just replaced it with a new one.
    • Sleeping Bag (naHanny, tailored): Had this also since many years. The brand is a small company in East-Europe and they are manufacturing the bag to your requirements. (Size, filling, colors, …) Mine is filled with down feathers and I like it cozy, so some more filling at the feet.
    • Silk Sleeping bag liner: For hot nights and when I needed to sleep in the sleping bag without having the chance for a shower. It keeps it cleaner and is easy to wash while very small when packed.
    • Waterproof Bag (light, for bear-storage food on the tree): Needed only one time but I would bring it again. It is always good to be able to pack stuff waterproof.
    • Light climbing rope: was for hanging the bag and emergency recovering the bike
    • Real pillow (small and feather filled): I need that for a good night sleep. No further comments!
    • Cooking Pot (lightweight): I never used it as most of the time there was a fire ban anyway. Didn’t bring a stove as I like coffee but I’m not a ‘junky’ like some others and can wait to the next town for the morning coffee.
    • Camping chair (Helinox): Another convenience item for camping. Although not often used I would bring it again. Comes in handy when nothing to sit on is around.
    • Backpack (waterproof): Great to have when do shopping and carrying anything extra like water, …
    • Water bladder (kind of): I have no water bladder, but I do want to be able to drink easily. So I bought the hose and the mouthpiece of a bladder system with an adapter to a normal supermarket water bottle. That eliminates the need for disinfection the bladder. Very happy with it.
    • Pocket Camera (Canon GX7 II): Good camera and small enough to but it in the pocket.
    • Mobile
    • Action Cam (Yi4k): Good action cam, in my eyes equal to a GoPro just a lot cheaper. I had some issues because my sd-card was not fast enough, the cam sometimes didn’t record and failed to stop the attempt. This was my fault as I didn’t follow the manufacturer recommendations.
    • Power bank (Anker) 22000mAH: Very useful to keep all the electronics charge when no access to the grid. Because it is fairly big it took always a long time to re-charge. Most of the times I left it plugged in overnight.
    • Spare batteries (for all electronics): Always good to have enough power.
    • MP3 player: Good for the evenings.
    • Various Charger and cables: I had expensive and cheap cables. They all failed on a constant pace. In the end I bought always the cheapest I found and had some in spare. The only thing you must be careful is that some are not charging your device fast enough. Lost count of how many I used.
    • SDD hard drive (SanDisk) Extreme: Used it to store pics and videos for safety. Worked great, is small and light. (I was worried to bring a normal external HDD because the vibrations are not appreciated by them.)
    • Zip bags: great to back anything water proof and 'smell-proof''
    • Lighter
    • Head lamp
    • Leatherman and Swiss Army Knife
    • Rubber gloves (for repairs to get not so messy)

As I said before, I'm sure that things have been missed. Let me know if you want to know anything in particular.
  6. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update!
  7. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    Great RR - thanks for sharing with us!
  8. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond. Supporter

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Thanks for the effort on the RR and providing the gear rundown. Very helpful.
  9. california1660

california1660 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for your hard work and efforts with the ride report! One day, I will do the TAT myself, but since I don't live in the US any more, it requires quit a lot of planning. Especially time wise, because as things are right now, there is no way to get away from work long enough to do it at one go.
    All the best from Wien, Franz
  10. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
  11. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, the shortcut was closed.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  12. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding job sir, well done.
    Thank you for taking the time to post the gear list, I’ve saved several over the last couple years to pull out and review when I get to start an adventure one day like this.

And thank you for the pics and prose. It was a delight to read. Lookin g forward to the UTbDR RR.

Ride safe. If you are ever close to west TN and need anything don’t hesitate to contact/PM. You would be welcome to whatever you needed....good meal, good night’s rest, garage , etc.
  13. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great RR!
  14. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the nice words and the offer.
    Happy you enjoyed the RR.

The UTBDR report is a bit delayed, but it is coming. Promised.

This year will be very likely no time to ride in the US, but time will tell.
  15. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the use of the help from Inmates it is definitely doable.
    I can only repeat how generous and positive the people have been to me.
    PM me if you have any particular questions.
  16. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    2017 I made an attempt to do the new loop south of Green River (SAM's track) and ended up like below:
    I found out, later that I went off the route and ended up in deep sand.
    I missed all the good stuff afterward as I had lost all confidence finishing the TAT solo.
    Plan to finish what I started in the near future; Saved the best for last I guess :)

upload_2019-3-14_17-23-20.png
    upload_2019-3-14_17-23-20.png img_20170901_104341651_36794781946_o.jpg img_20170901_113744999_hdr_36794783706_o.jpg
  17. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @DCTFAN
    I can't say too much about the new route Sam has selected for the TAT as I have done the new route backwards only to Wendover.
    What I can say is that the old TAT route is very nice and If I would do this trip again, the old one is the one to go.

Hope you're go and do the rest of the Trip!
    wadethewanderer, Addapost and DCTFAN like this.
  18. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DCrider likes this.
  19. dickosaurus

dickosaurus Geezer Coalition Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a wonderful ride report and thanks for posting it. I try not to miss any Tat report but I had missed this one somehow. Glad you enjoyed it. I'd like to do a bike tour of Austria.
  20. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know

Oddometer:
    Just finished entire TAT RR in one read! Good pics. I enjoy seeing campsites as well as the road scenes. A few more with you in it perhaps?
    Doing the TAT on DR650 from Virginia in July. You did well as a solo ride. Risk assessment as you go helps and solo is what’s needed sometimes. Now, for your UTBDR report.