TAT old and new mixed

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoPet, Jan 15, 2019.

1. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of GPS did you use or recommend? I’d like to be able to follow “Tracks” but am technologically impaired. Following too.
  2. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi BMgreenmt,
    I have used the android app Osmand. This is a very capable program but allows also people like me to use it very easy. I'm not used to GPS systems but with this app and the a gpx file on the same device osmand is recognizing the file and includes it automatically. You even can tell the app to navigate along the track (like on a normal gps where the destination is entered). I didn't use this as I prefer to have an overview where I am and where I go.
    There are plenty of other gps out there which people are very happy with. In the end you need to try end find out what works for you.

I also had a Garmin explorer with me (can do gps nav as well) but used it only for emergency protection. The screen is far to small and I found it very helpful to have a small tablet. This way, looking down quickly allowed e to see if I'm still on track.
    DragonJoe and Sneeze Juice like this.
  3. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10th August
    Day 5

Today I have planned to do an easy day with some TLC for the bike and maybe a new front tire. Not immediately needed but would be nice to have.
    So I slept in and listend to the rain all morning. As soon as the weather turned to be a bit better (no rain) I rode back to the point where I left the trail due to the rain yesterday.
    It is a nice section through the woods without any real problem. Initially I was a bit concerned that the road might be difficult with all the rain, but shortly after hitting dirt I came to a Harley with 2up standing sideways in a uphill section in the opposite direction.
    A quick chat showed that they wanted to turn around because this was the hardest section (a bit slippery). The chat was good for me to assure that there will be no problem and good for them that they only have maybe 1 more mile to the pavement.

After return to Tellico Plains I went for the hunt for a front tire. Unfortunately no luck. The rest of the day was filled with eating and taking care about some small things on the bike.
    The clutch switch was only making sometimes contact and so the starter was not engaged every time I pressed the button. After a proper cleaning all was good again.

11th August
    Day 6

The TAT runs directly by the lodge and after backing up the wet tent (it rained all night) I start right away into the woods.
    With all that rain the first real water crossing was to deep for scouting it out so I took a picture and got going.
    IMG_0301 test.jpg

IMG_0302 test.jpg

It didn't look difficult but with my inexperience I stalled the engine and had to but my foot down.
    The water was so deep that even my goretex motocross boots got filled with water from top.

After this mistake I was even more careful and all the following water crossings have been no problem.
    The landscape was very nice but a bit boring.
    IMG_0305 test.jpg
    IMG_0309 test.jpg
  4. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As the day progressed the weather became a lot better. I used the parking lot of a church to dry my belongings and had a rest.
    IMG_0316 test.jpg

With the sun I enjoyed the ride very much.
    IMG_0326 test.jpg
    IMG_0323 test.jpg

I have sourced a campground on the net and arrived early. A guy was
    mowing
    the gras and waved, so I parked and waited for him after checking the reception where I found nobody.
    The time passed by and the guy was driving the lawnmower somewhere on the property. After waiting for more than 1 hour I became a bit anxious. As a car was pulling up tp a garage nearby I went to ask them If they know anything.
    It turned out that they are the kids of the owners and where so kind to call them. Even the place had a nice location I was explained that there is only a bit toiled in a tent on the middle of the gras field and it costs 40$.
    Because it was still not very late I moved on over this overprized underserviced place.

The next proper campground I found at the Tims Ford State Park where I arrive late. The ranger station was no longer occupied but the people have been very nice and wanted to help. One even offered that I could pitch my tent on his spot next to his caravan in the case there is no spot open. Finally I found the ranger and got my own spot. Nevertheless I stopped again at this guys place to thank again for the offer and got surprised again. A
    fter me asking if he would know where I could by a beer he insisted to
    organize me a beer. No protest on my side helped.

After setting up my tent in the dark and talking a bit to my neighbours he showed up with his family and some beer which he had to get from a bar! Unbelievable to see so much kindness. We had a nice chat and I fell asleep very quickly this night.
    The picture from my spot is from next morning.
    IMG_0328 test.jpg
  5. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The route of day 5 and 6.
    Day 5.png

Day 6.png
  6. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following along. Hope to do the TAT someday.
  7. bkendig76

bkendig76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be following along :lurk
  8. hackmanship

hackmanship master of none

Oddometer:
    Hey, I met you outside Ketchum, ID. You gave me some great advice on where to find some replacement tires in Hailey and a few tips about the trail that really helped me out of a jam later down the road. Thank you for posting this RR! 20180911_140622.jpg
  9. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Hackmanship,

glad that the information was helpful.
    I have received so much support throughout my trip that it is a no brainer to do the same.

Did you make it to the coast?
    Sneeze Juice likes this.
  10. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    12th August
    Day 7

Day 7.png

Despite the rain during the night the weather is wonderful and the ride through the hilly countryside is a real joy.
    IMG_0331 test.jpg

It is still morning when arriving in Lynchburg, home of Jack Daniels.
    IMG_0334 test.jpg

Seems to be a very touristic place, but so early in the day I do not want to take a tour anyway.
    Breakfast is what I have in mind and so I hit the city center.
    IMG_0339 test.jpg

It was a plan, as it turns out not a good one. All shops are closed. Sunday.
    So a snack has to be enough and I hit the trail again.
    trypod-AL, BLucare and Sneeze Juice like this.
  11. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0340 test.jpg

Soon I hit my first road closed sign. Hmm, the sign is sitting on the side, checking the GPS reveals that there is a road around close by but this road is also only a short section.
    So I give it a go and there was nothing else than nice landscape.
    IMG_0347 test.jpg IMG_0348 test.jpg

In Collingwood I meet the first other TAT riders and other than myself they know where they want to stay this night.
    As Josh and Sott want to camp as well I'm going to join them.
    IMG_0355 test.jpg
  12. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    13th August
    Day

Day 8.png

Because Josh and Scott are riding big bikes I want to go solo but we stay in touch during the coming days and meet again.
    Shortly after I left the campground I hit the old blocked bridge I have seen on the videos when preparing the trip.
    After checking out the options I decided not to go over the bridge (not alone) and the route the guys on the videos are taking underneath the bridge is definitely not possible due to the high water level.
    Riding down the river bank for a short distance to a easy water crossing is the solution and no problem. For safety I unloaded the bike, just in case I drop it but all goes well.
    IMG_0356 test.jpg IMG_0357 test.jpg

The following roads are easy.
    IMG_0363 test.jpg
    trypod-AL and Joris van O like this.
  13. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0370 test.jpg IMG_0371 test.jpg

Later during the day it started to rain and the road becomes slippery. With the mounted D606 tires it was fun to blast down the road.
    I meet Josh and Scott again, sadly Josh had a small crash and hurt his ankle. He heads to a doctor to check it out.

Scott and I are checking out the campground and in the evening Josh is back with medium good news.
    He still can ride but the ankle is swollen. A few beers make it easier and is a good night at the Enid Lake.

IMG_0388 test.jpg
    trypod-AL, MTBRALPH, SOUP and 8 others like this.
  14. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    14th August
    Day 9

Day 9.png

Today I'm going to leave Mississippi and arrive in Arkansas.
    The first miles are about the same as yesterday just without the rain.
    IMG_0393 test.jpg IMG_0400 test.jpg IMG_0404 test.jpg
  15. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Along the road guys are fishing and looking busy after I asked if I can take a picture. :-)
    IMG_0411 test.jpg IMG_0412-13 test.jpg

Crossing into Arkansas.
    IMG_0417 test.jpg

In West Helena I refuel the bike and myself. The town is not feeling very safe and so I'm happy to be here only during the day.
    Shortly I arrive at Heidelberger and meet Josh and Scott again as well as two other TAT riders from Florida.
    A nice chat and the obligatory sign in the TAT book with a picture taken I hit the road.
    IMG_0420 test.jpg
  16. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The road is easy and fast until some water puddles are slowing me down.
    IMG_0422 test.jpg IMG_0426 test.jpg

The river crossing should go over the bridge in the background but that road is closed since a long time. Signs are warning of big fines if not obeyed.
    One of the examples that the TAT route is not fully possible to follow.
    IMG_0427 test.jpg

In Beebe I see a sign for special rates at a motel. It is not late but I cannot find on the GPS anything close by so I stop for the night.
    The opportunity to search for a front tire is taken and I find one NE of Beebe. I will go tomorrow to get it installed.
    trypod-AL, BLucare and greg.279 like this.
  17. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    15th August
    Day 10

Day 10.png

In the morning I ride to Searcy. There is a huge motorcycle shop which represents many brands.
    Replacing the tire takes some time and it is past 10am before I hit the trail again.
    IMG_0438 test.jpg

Soon the rain set in hard and I take a nice lunch break in the hope that the weather is getting better.
    No luck with that, but I find a cheap motel a bit south and call it the day.
    That's like heaving a rest day. ;-)
  18. mpusms

mpusms Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in !!!
  19. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    16th August
    Day 11
    Day 11.png

The following morning the weather is good and I'm heading back north to join the trail again.
    The ride goes through a lot of woods and farmland and the Ozark NF.
    IMG_0442 test.jpg IMG_0448 test.jpg

IMG_0455 test.jpg
  20. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I approach the Oark Cafe, there are a lot old cars to the right sitting in the field.
    IMG_0475 test.jpg IMG_0490 test.jpg

Perfect timing to be at the Oark Cafe at Lunchtime. Very interesting place with good burger and nice people.
    IMG_0492 test.jpg IMG_0495 test.jpg