TAT old and new mixed

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoPet, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    23rd August
    Day 18

The forecast was correct and the weather is good.
    Todays plan: Engineer Pass, Black Bear Pass, take a look at Imogene Pass and than as far west as I get.
    Day 18.png

The start was brilliant. Going through the alley towards engineer pass.
    IMG_1177 test.jpg

Is still early but there are already bikes, ATVs and Jeeps on the road.
    Up the mountain is a good road and offers a great view.
    IMG_1196-98 test.jpg

Nice weather but cold. Well I shouldn't be surprised at this altitude.
    IMG_1204 test.jpg
  2. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the other side of engineer pass is a short downhill passage east before the road turns west again.
    At the 'basin' are many tracks and I take for a short distance the wrong one. Thanks to the large GPS screen it is noticed quickly.
    IMG_1217 test.jpg

From there the road becomes more rocky. All is downhill so I just need to be carful not to slip.
    Traffic increases and some people are just nuts. Full throttle around the corner on the wrong side of the road and then they are surprised that I'm there.
    I had a few near misses due to these nice people. This is the downside of such a great place, too many people wanna be there.
    IMG_1223 test.jpg

You can see remaining's of old mines all over the place in these mountains. It is impressive what the old-timers have achieved.
    IMG_1237 test.jpg

The valley is getting narrow before reaching the Hwy and there are step drop-offs.
    IMG_1250 test.jpg
    Gordon, karter18, trypod-AL and 5 others like this.
  3. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm following the Hwy towards Silverton which runs nicely up the valley passing by the turnoff to Corkscrew pass from yesterday.
    The entrance to the Black Bear pass is coming quickly and I almost missed it. First the road is easy, but it turns quickly to a steep and rocky track.
    IMG_1262 test.jpg

The climb is fairly short but intense. The view on the other side spectacular.
    IMG_1264 test.jpg

There are several tracks down the mountain and some are extremely steep. In the distance you can see Telluride.
    IMG_1277 test.jpg

But before I have to pass the famous turn above the waterfall. I watched videos and looked a t pictures of this, but in reality it is far more scary.
    How steep it is you can maybe imagine by looking at the two hikers coming up the road. They are at the point where the road turns to the right looking down. On the left is the waterfall which of course you cannot see.
    IMG_1288 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, DCZ and 6 others like this.
  4. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking back up the mountain shows the turn and the waterfall. From this view the track doesn't look so bad but believe me it is. By the way you are only allowed to come down here and not going up.
    Past the scary spot the road just goes zig zag down to Telluride.
    IMG_1298-03 test.jpg

In Telluride the road to Imogenes pass is starting and I wanted to see what it looks like, although I will only go up to the summit and come down again.
    This couple have been scared of the road and decided to turn around. At this spot!
    People further up shouted that up there is a nice bay where turning is very easy, but they did not hear anything. It was quit scary to watch what they did.
    IMG_1317 test.jpg

In the distance is the mine visible. (where the river comes down)
    IMG_1320 test.jpg

And I made it to the top without any problems.
    IMG_1327 test.jpg
  5. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going back down passing the mine.
    IMG_1328 test.jpg

In Telluride I refueled the bike. The place is very touristic and I'm glad that I had out to Lizard Head pass.
    IMG_1334 test.jpg

The following road is running through the woods and no problem but also not very impressive. Well that would be difficult after the passes I have seen already today.
    So I just ride until I arrive at the Groundhog Lake late afternoon. A basic campground next to it will be the residence for the night.
    IMG_1341 test.jpg

Really nice, just the wasps are annoying. The place had a few campers sitting there but most of the evening I just saw people passing through the campground on their way to the lake. Why thy are driving back and forth through I have no Idea as there is a road directly to the lake outside of the campground. A couple of beers from the campground store are completing my evening.:photogNo, the pic was not taken afterwards. :rofl
    IMG_1343 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, MTBRALPH and 8 others like this.
  6. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    24th August
    Day 19

Todays destination is 3 Steps Hideaway. I actually though that I can reach this yesterday, but there was no way this would have worked.
    As now it should be no problem to do the roughly 110 miles.
    Day 19.png

The road is well graded and a high pace is easy.
    IMG_1350 test.jpg IMG_1356 test.jpg

After crossing the Dolores River the route is more or less along farm roads.
    IMG_1364 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, GregDavidL and 3 others like this.
  7. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just before reaching my destination I have the idea to ride in from the backside.
    Checking the GPS shows a road I could take. As in reality the road is gated after maybe a mile I have to turn around back to the main road.
    To make things worse I have a flat on the rear, 3 miles before I'm going to change the tire anyway. You maybe noticed that I carry a spare tire.
    IMG_1370 test.jpg IMG_1371 test.jpg

So here I am. It's hot, and I say to myself 'was this really necessary?' Lets rethink the options, I don't want to do the work twice, maybe the flat is not that bad and I can limb the 3 miles by pumping up the tire a few times.
    Sounds like a great idea. Compressor unpacked and finally some luck, the tire holds pressure.
    After a mile I have to redo it. Not do bad I think, but than I run out of luck at after the next mile. 1 mile before the 'finish line' the fuse of the power socket is blown. So unpack the bike, remove the side panels and the seat to gain access to the fuse. Thankfully I have brought a spare one. Pump up the tire again and stick all my belongings loosely on the bike to ride slowly the last mile.
    Arrived in 3 Steps Hideaway!
    IMG_1377 test.jpg

This place is amazing and Scott the owner has a shop and I can use it to replace the tire. Shi... the tube is punctured several times due to me continue riding. No problem Scott says, here is a new one.
    I'm so busy to take care of my bike that I forgot to ask for dinner arrangements which normally have to be pre-booked.
    But July and Scott have taken care of me. Its just a great place with great people, highly recommend a visit. The evening is filled with lots of talking and relaxing with a few drinks.
    IMG_1377-1 test.jpg
  8. OldMud

OldMud /dəˈbôCHərē/

Oddometer:
    Bravo! I can never get enough TAT.
    i4bikes likes this.
  9. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    25th August
    Day 20

Today is a planned short day. Another guest at 3 Steps Hideaway is going on a ride with me which was suggested by Scott. He has several routes planned and we are doing the Dolores River Loop.
    This is not part of the TAT but because I only want to go to Moab today I take this little side trip.
    Day 20.png

The route is a good mixture with fast sections, rocky sections and also some light mud.
    IMG_1380 test.jpg IMG_1383 test.jpg

IMG_1388 test.jpg
    DragonJoe, Gordon, trypod-AL and 5 others like this.
  10. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1391 test.jpg IMG_1392 test.jpg

The ride is fun and we are back shortly after lunchtime, just before a light rain showers are passing through. We have a drink while chatting until the rain is gone and I'm heading out to the La Sal Mountain.
    All is dry and there is for a short time a large dust devil to be seen.
    IMG_1405 test.jpg

Up in the mountains you feel quickly remote.
    IMG_1409-11 test.jpg
    trypod-AL, victay, joenuclear and 4 others like this.
  11. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm crossing the mountains and enjoy the slightly lower temperatures up there.
    IMG_1414 test.jpg IMG_1431 test.jpg

Down there is the destination for today. (Moab)
    IMG_1435 test.jpg

I'm passing by the Slick Rock Area where I want to go tomorrow.
    IMG_1451 test.jpg

In Moab I'm staying at the 'Up the Creek' Campground which I know already from my last trip to here.
    It is located directly in town and ideal to walk to shops and restaurants.
    Dinner and a few drinks are found in the Moab Brewery for tonight.
    trypod-AL, victay, joenuclear and 5 others like this.
  12. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    26th August
    Day 21

4:30 in the morning and I'm already up. I want to go to the Delicate Arch to see the Sunrise. So do others.
    IMG_1454 test.jpg

After a quite exhausting hike through the night I arrived at the Arch where others are already there. The moon is large in the night sky.
    IMG_1472 test.jpg

The sun comes up but it is not the right time of the year and this is as much sun as will be on the Arch.
    IMG_1542 test.jpg IMG_1552 test.jpg
    DragonJoe, Gordon, trypod-AL and 7 others like this.
  13. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Walking back towards to the parking lot reveals the hiking route had some nice drop-offs. Hmm the parking lot is far away!
    IMG_1562 test.jpg IMG_1569 test.jpg

Returning to Moab to change cloths. It is already warm but I want to do the practice loop of the Slick Rock.
    As I get there, the parking lot is nearly empty and I'm a bit nervous because I was reading so many different things about this trail. Two mountain biker are just returning but they do not stop.
    Anyway, here I am and off I go!
    IMG_1577 test.jpg IMG_1580 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, victay and 4 others like this.
  14. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Practice loop was no problem but still fun do to. Because I have been warned to do the full trail with the DR I'm not doing that.
    Instead I want to do the easy route of the TAT along the Long Canyon Road up to the Plateau and than south to the overlooks of the Canyon Lands NP.
    On the way are some petroglyphs.
    IMG_1592 test.jpg

Then into the Long Canyon Road and up the side of the canyon.
    IMG_1604 test.jpg IMG_1607 test.jpg IMG_1610 test.jpg
    DragonJoe, Gordon, trypod-AL and 8 others like this.
  15. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    View down to the White Rim Trail.
    IMG_1624-29 test.jpg

After taking in all the nice view from the top I' going to ride down the Shafer Trail and than out to Moab via the Potash Road.
    IMG_1643-46 test.jpg IMG_1657 test.jpg

The day is completed with a burger (good) and a Margarita (not that great) which has to be accompanied by a beer!
    Life is good!
    DragonJoe, Gordon, trypod-AL and 8 others like this.
  16. out rider

out rider You Go First

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great report!
    Keep it coming.
  17. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going to Moab in April, you are getting me whipped up!
  18. rburton59

rburton59 n00b

Oddometer:
    I live in Northern Utah and SO want to ride the UTBDR as well as the Utah portion of the TAT. This report makes me want to do it that much more. Thanks for the report!!
  19. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been TAT dreaming for a while now. Glad that you made the dream a reality. Will follow along.
  20. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moab is always worth a trip! Enjoy.
    trypod-AL and chudzikb like this.