TAT old and new mixed

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoPet, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep on following,
    Spoiler Alert:
    I did the UTBDR as well.
  2. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of us from the east Moab is like going to a different part of the world. Your RR makes me want to go back on my KTM 250 and not the KLR though.
  3. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    27th August
    Day 22

Yesterday I saw the entry point to the Poison Spider Trail. First thing after an easy start in the morning is to go to the tourist information to find out about this trail.
    They said that it is a fairly long but not too difficult. Quote: A standard Jeep can do it. Hmm if a standard Jeep can do it I should be able as well.
    I also asked for the hike to the Corona Arch which had been recommended to me before. With the information and some leaflets in hand I had off to the trail head for the Corona Arch.
    IMG_1660 test.jpg

From the parking lot the hiking trail crosses the railway and goes up to the plateau. From there it is an easy hike.
    IMG_1665 test.jpg

The trail follows the valley and at this point is a metal safety rope leading around the corner. Not really needed here.
    IMG_1667 test.jpg

than a short leader for getting easy up this rock.
    IMG_1673 test.jpg
    Pete S, victay and BLucare like this.
  4. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From there the trail runs more or less on the same level to the Arch.
    IMG_1676-77 test.jpg

It is a fairly large Arch. At the tourist information they told the story that some years ago there has a pilot flying his small plane through.
    IMG_1692 test.jpg

Nice to see this without the masses of tourists like in the Arches NP. (This is not in the park)
    Heading back to the parking lot.
    IMG_1728 test.jpg IMG_1733 test.jpg

Now I wanted to do the Poison Spider trail.
    It begins rough but manageable but very quickly it becomes much more difficult.
    At the 'Waterfall Obstacle' I have to admit that it is not worth to risk the bike. There are very high steps which are definitely not passable by a factory Jeep. There is a permanent hookup for the winch. Sorry no pics.

Anyway, I turn around and head back to town to sort a few equipment issues and relax for the rest o the day. It is already very warm and feel not too bad to have kind of a rest day.
  5. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    28th August
    Day 23

When I was in Moab last time I did the section out of town to Green River. This part was sandy and not appealing at all, so I skip it this time.
    Day 23.png

Unlike this was the section through Black Dragon Canyon very nice and I'm dong it again. Same as last time, no problem.
    IMG_1740 test.jpg

IMG_1745 test.jpg IMG_1753 test.jpg
    MTBRALPH, Joris van O, Pete S and 3 others like this.
  6. moment

moment Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in., Like your FJ .. :D
  7. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I'm using GPS Kevins and Sams route I see that Sams old route is passing by 'The Sinkhole'.
    Disappointing and not even worth to take a picture. Very small.
    Anyway now I have to male the decision to go the Old route via Nevada or turning North on the New Route which runs through Idaho.
    Nevada it is.
    IMG_1758 test.jpg IMG_1773 test.jpg

The Old route runs on the Eagle Canyon Road which offers a rough terrain but beautiful views. This is the section where you ride below the Interstate Bridges.
    I do not understand why Sam has taken this out of his TAT route.
    IMG_1774 test.jpg IMG_1785 test.jpg
    powderzone, Pete S, victay and 3 others like this.
  8. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super! I like it!
    IMG_1789 test.jpg

Where the trail leaves the canyon I check the tire pressure as it seems to be low. The terrain was very rocky so I was not surprised that I a had to fill it up.
    Than going up to the Hwy.
    IMG_1793 test.jpg IMG_1796 test.jpg

Where the tire went fully flat.
    IMG_1798 test.jpg
    Pete S and BLucare like this.
  9. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After fixing the tire I continue.
    Because most of Sams old route runs along the interstate 70 I go this time with GPS Kevins route.
    After refueling in the small town of Emery the road leads into a valley which looks like a dead end, but on the end it climbs up to a plateau where it is running or a long time.
    IMG_1803 test.jpg

IMG_1809 test.jpg IMG_1814 test.jpg IMG_1819 test.jpg
    Cobra5150, Pete S, BLucare and 2 others like this.
  10. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On this high elevation it is still possible to go higher. The trail varies a lot in condition.
    IMG_1827 test.jpg IMG_1832 test.jpg

And there are really nice views.
    IMG_1837 test.jpg

The land is used for grazing. I see many new and old caravans and Cowboys on horses or motorbikes.
    IMG_1844 test.jpg
    Cobra5150, Pete S, victay and 3 others like this.
  11. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1848 test.jpg IMG_1854 test.jpg

There are also some small water crossings and nice little valleys like this one.
    IMG_1859 test.jpg
  12. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A view miles before Richfield was a forest fire not too long ago.
    It is the first time I see something like this that close and it is interesting how the transition from burned to nothing happens.
    IMG_1863 test.jpg IMG_1867 test.jpg

Down there is the destination for today. Richfield
    IMG_1871 test.jpg

I find a KOA and the people are very kind.
    It was a long day and the last stretch was a bit boring although all nice landscape. I could have shorten it by using the Hwy for the last bit, but I want to do the TAT is much as possible. No excuses!.
    The day is concluded with a steak and a few drinks after laundry is done.
    Cobra5150, Pete S, mathdl and 4 others like this.
  13. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Looking forward to NV.
  14. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    29th August
    Day 24

It's going to be a long, remote day. I'm looking forward to it.
    Day 24.png

The backcountry of Richfield seems to be ATV land. The roads are covered with rough gravel.
    IMG_1884 test.jpg

Ans soon the TAT leads into a section where the track is getting smaller and runs through bushland.
    IMG_1887 test.jpg

But not for long and it becomes open land just past Kanosh where I refueled the bike and checked tire pressure.
    IMG_1890 test.jpg
    Cobra5150, SLUGGO, GregDavidL and 2 others like this.
  15. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kanosh was a very small town and I feel immediately remote.
    IMG_1893 test.jpg IMG_1901 test.jpg

In the distance is the Sevier Lake.
    IMG_1915-18 test.jpg

Or more what is left of it..... nothing!
    IMG_1925 test.jpg

I'm starting to pay attention how far I have been riding since I have seen a car, building or any other signs of civilization. There are some small buildings next to the lake but nobody around.
    SLUGGO, Cobra5150, GregDavidL and 3 others like this.
  16. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After the short side trip to the lake the road looks the same as before. You see the bright Rock in the distance?
    IMG_1932 test.jpg

That's how it is looking when you close. The TAT runs just next to it.
    IMG_1937 test.jpg

From here it is not far to the Nevada State Line.
    IMG_1950 test.jpg

I want to refuel in Baker, but about a mile before I reach the gas station I have again a flat at the front.
    Not a big deal and even it is hot it works quit well.
    Later at the gas station, which is a non-occupied one, the LCD screen is not working correctly. Hmm, I need fuel, lets see if it takes my CC.
    I can't see if it is accepting it, but as the pump starts working I think it is ok. Or maybe not. The pump is running very slow, but I get fuel and that's what matters. Although I do not know how much I'm going to be charged as the volume numbers never went to zero and is sitting at a ridiculous number which I could never fit in my tank.

After refueling I'm ready for a soft drink and find that at the next grocery store. There, I ask if they would know whom to contact for the issue with the pump. No, don't know.
    Having my drink outside while chatting to another biker who wants to stay in the Great Basin NP. There is no waste bin, so I walk back into the store and ask for it. Now it is getting funny.
    They have spoken to the fuel station owner and he will come later today to see what the problem is and I can wait for him. So when will he come? No idea was the answer.

My willingness to wait is close to zero as before they didn't want to help (in fact said the do not know anything and than it turns out that they know the owner) and now I shall wait for an unknown timespan. No thanks I'm off.
    The TAT runs to the south and then along the bottom of the Great Basin NP to the west.
    IMG_1951 test.jpg
    SLUGGO, Cobra5150, GregDavidL and 2 others like this.
  17. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Farm roads, not too often used. And after maybe half an hour I have another flat on the front.
    Hmm not too good. I have a spare tube and but it in while I repair the other one.
    The area is not really farmland anymore. The trail is disappearing and at one stage I'm just following the arrow on my GPS. There are tire marks between the trees but I'm getting worried if I'm still on the right path.
    IMG_1960 test.jpg IMG_1961 test.jpg

Definitely not needed anymore. ;-)
    IMG_1963 test.jpg

Its getting late and it is clear that I have no chance to reach the next town.
    IMG_1966 test.jpg
    SLUGGO, Cobra5150, GregDavidL and 3 others like this.
  18. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just passed the highway is the Patterson Pass campground and I'm very happy about it. There is only one other tent, without anyone there and is a very quiet evening. Very nice after such an exhausting day.
    IMG_1967 test.jpg

And the sky is playing big cinema!
    IMG_1970 test.jpg

IMG_1978 test.jpg
    I'm loving it!
  19. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Nevada always looks like such a great place to ride :ricky glad you're enjoying it!
  20. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember NV more than any other State. Looking forward to the next installment.
    Critic and RidingforRebelGears like this.