TAT old and new mixed

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoPet, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where are trees is usually a Farmhouse. Unfortunately the road ends at this ditch. Nothing to either side.
    I know it doesn't look so deep but it was.
    IMG_2136 test.jpg

But all went good and I continued on the other side passing by a big Mine.
    IMG_2138 test.jpg

There was a fire all over the place not too long ago. Burned area all the way o the horizon.
    IMG_2145 test.jpg IMG_2148 test.jpg
  2. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful passes and remote roads.
    IMG_2164 test.jpg IMG_2193 test.jpg

At on stage I went with gpsKevin's route towards Fields Station due to fuel requirements.
    IMG_2202 test.jpg

Fields Station is smaller than expected, but very friendly staff. Had a nice chat with other riders during lunchbreak.
    IMG_2204 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, simi.d and 5 others like this.
  3. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And of course feed the bike with some expensive fuel!
    IMG_2203 test.jpg

Shortly after Fields Station the route turns south through a valley and the track has deep silt puddles.
    I met 2 other ADV rider which where on the TAT from Oregon (sorry I can't recall their names) and 2 guys on bicycles.
    Man that is hard, riding with a bicycle through this environment at this temperatures.
    They recommended the Virgin Valley Campground which is on Sam's old Track. His route runs south of Fiels Station, so I decided to make a short cut south to join Sam's route.
    IMG_2216 test.jpg

The place is busy but again very nice people. Due to the extra miles it was in question to make it to the next fuel stop the following day.
    But a fellow camper was willing to give me some fuel to top up the bike. A couple of beers later I had fuel and was again not allowed to pay.
    More chat with people and a hot shower with the thermal water at the campground.
    I got the last shaded spot. ;-)
    IMG_2221 test.jpg
    Ginger Beard, Gordon, Zuber and 12 others like this.
  4. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys.
    For all which are interested on the map pictures:
    I just realized that I had uploaded the wrong map for the last day (1st September).
    Replaced the picture today.
    trypod-AL and Ladybug like this.
  5. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2nd September
    Day 28

The plan for today is first to follow Sam's route and than turn south on gpsKevin's route to refill gas in Cedarville before riding north and entering Oregon for good.
    Day 28.png

The campground is a popular base for opal fans as there are many mines nearby. The TAT runs by some of the mines where you can also go digging if you like.
    IMG_2225 test.jpg

Old abandoned homestead near the mines.
    IMG_2233-34 test.jpg

And than the route leads up the mountains. The road is getting rockier but manageable.
    IMG_2238 test.jpg
  6. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding through the Sheldon National Antelope Refuge and looking down into the valley just before leaving the Refuge.
    On my GPS are shown many lakes in this valley and they might have been there but now all is dry.
    IMG_2259-61 test.jpg

It is not only dry, the track is nearly vanishing.
    IMG_2267 test.jpg

Only to come back with deep silt. Here is the spot of my only real crash on the entire trip.
    Thankfully it was not a big one. The front wheel just jumped from one lane to the other and the I ended up sideways on the road.
    Me moving straight forward. (I know you cannot see how deep the tracks are below the silt.)
    IMG_2269 test.jpg

This continued for a while before the soil got harder.
    IMG_2270 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, powderzone and 3 others like this.
  7. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cedarville was disappointing. Gas station only takes cash, the car wash is not working, the other gas station had a huge line of cars waiting, ….
    I was happy that I can leave the town quickly and after following the valley on paved roads north the route goes up into the mountains and becomes grave again.
    IMG_2275 test.jpg IMG_2278 test.jpg

The route goes through the woods north. Very nice, and it starts feeling like Oregon.
    IMG_2308 test.jpg IMG_2314 test.jpg

Soon the TAT drops me in too Lakeview.
    I fancy a motel for tonight and spend a fair bit of money. This was one of the few occasions where I didn't got a t least a small discount. Anyway, nice people and a free wash of the bike made up for it.
    I did some organizing things, and had a good dinner before the pillow was very welcoming.
    Gordon, trypod-AL, Critic and 11 others like this.
  8. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:
    Enjoying this report. Thank you for taking the time to share your journey!
  9. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great update, that last basin before Cedarville is a tricky one. Glad it was dry for you. When I went through there were some ruts from two other riders that looked like they had a hell of a time on that hard pack when it was wet.
  10. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can imagine that. But as you said I was lucky that it was dry.
    Happy that you like the RR
  11. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3rd September
    Day 29

Before leaving Lake View I wanted to check the tire pressure at the gas station. It always surprises me when a gas station wants to charge money for air if they even provide that.
    This is never the case in Ventral Europe, here all stations have air and it is always for free.
    Day 29.png

The Route leads into the woods on nice forest roads. Unfortunately there are forest fires in the area which I hoped to be able to avoid.
    It was not promising when this vehicle was on the road.
    IMG_2318 test.jpg

And soon enough there was the road closed.
    IMG_2319 test.jpg

No problem I thought as there is a paved road nearby. Nope also closed.
    IMG_2320 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, simi.d and 2 others like this.
  12. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According my GPS is a forest road nearby.
    So I'm heading into the alternate road. In the beginning it is a really nice road and I'm optimistic that I get through but than it becomes more and more overgrown.
    Than more trees are down, but already cleared of the road until this.
    IMG_2323 test.jpg IMG_2324 test.jpg

Maybe I could push my way through but I didn't wan to take the risk. On my way out I met some hunters but they didn't know anything in regards to road closures.
    So I rode to Bly, refueled the bike and asked about the situation.
    In the end I was able to go more or less straight north on mainly gravel roads and joint back the TAT before Sliver Lake. Some of the roads are covered with this red stuff.
    IMG_2325 test.jpg IMG_2328 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, simi.d and 4 others like this.
  13. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Silver Lake the TAT runs again in the woods. But now the road becomes very often sandy and in between rocky section. I would have never believed that it is possible to have so much sand in the forest.
    IMG_2338 test.jpg IMG_2344 test.jpg

Both routes, Sams and gpsKevin's, need to be reworked as many of the tracks are blocked or overgrown since a long time. So I need to navigate around those parts.
    That is no problem as there are many forest roads for the harvesting companies. Nice views.
    IMG_2347 test.jpg

And a small road block.
    IMG_2352 test.jpg

This continues until the TAT pops out of the woods just outside of Crescent.
    I find in the net the Big Pines RV Park. They have a few sites for tents. At the reception I hear the comment 'we like motorbike riders and always have a spot for them, even we are full we will find a spot.'!
    That's what I call a commitment.
    In the evening a couple from Canada shows up with their Van and motorbikes. They are riding sections of the TAT and we chat far too long. The night is cold but I came prepares so I have a great night.
    Gordon, trypod-AL, td63 and 5 others like this.
  14. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have utilized the information from other reports and enjoyed them very much, so this is a small payback for that.
    And it is actually fun to kind of redo the travel.
  15. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Excellent report.
    The red stuff is volcano ash / debree, called Cinnabar.
    If you are luck you will still fine paved roads built with this red stuff in Oregon.
    Looks fantastic with the Ponderosa tree. (orange tint with black cracks)
    Camp Sherman on the Metious River had one such road. North west of the town of Sisters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar

My cousin paid a visit to me in Oregon.
    He gave me crap about all the industrial waste along side the road in the Cascade Mountain Range.
    Huge piles on both sides of the road for miles thru the forest.
    I said "What are you talking about and where ?"
    Then I figured out he was driving thru a lava field.
    :lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  16. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    ^^^Cityslicker:lol3
  17. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A fan of the TAT RR's. I'm in!
  18. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4th September
    Day 30

Today are 2 highlights for myself on the plan. 1st is the Crater Lake. I have been there 22years ago but it was to early in the year so the road around the lake was closed.
    2nd is on of the fire towers. I have found one on the net which seems to be reachable by road and have a nice view. And from no on the New and Old TAT routes are more or less the same.
    Day 30.png

First it goes straight into the woods with sandy roads again.
    IMG_2357 test.jpg

I pass by some forest workers and for me are these machines very impressive. Not often seen so close.
    IMG_2372 test.jpg

More forest roads with sand.
    IMG_2376 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, simi.d and 4 others like this.
  20. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice view near Lemolo Lake.
    IMG_2394-96 test.jpg

And more woods all the way to the Hwy. Than I leave the TAT to visit the Crater Lake which is just some miles south of the TAT.
    IMG_2408 test.jpg

View on the north rim.
    IMG_2415-20 test.jpg

Phantom Ship
    IMG_2465 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, simi.d and 8 others like this.