TAT old and new mixed

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoPet, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And the most known island, Wizard Island.
    IMG_2498 test.jpg

It was great to see this phenomenal Nature Monument again.
    After the side trip I rode back to the TAT and followed mostly gpsKevin's blue route and changed towards the end of the day to the green route. A lot of forest roads and sections have been burned some time ago.
    IMG_2519 test.jpg

I have planned to stay tonight at the South Umpqua Falls Campground or the Ash Flat Campground. On the net it says highly frequented and I hope that I find a spot.
    Before setting up the tent or the night I wan to checkout the Fire Lookout Acker Rock.
    The road did not go up as far as I thought but after the hike trough the woods I'm rewarded with a stunning view.
    IMG_2521 test.jpg IMG_2538 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, simi.d and 3 others like this.
  2. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And this place can also be rent for the night, but you have to be fast. There is a high demand. When I went there to see the place, it was booked by a young couple and they did that in the beginning of the year.
    IMG_2545 test.jpg

Than back to the campground, just before crossing the river.
    IMG_2555 test.jpg

The campground was empty. And when I say empty I mean empty. I went to check out the Ash Flat Campground but that was even worse. In the middle of the trees and also not one soul.
    So back to the first site and I took a good look around. It was not comforting that at one site the trash was laying all over the place. At least this campground was fairly open.
    Set up tent and had dinner. After that I did the only time on the trip the bear storage for my food up the tree. Anyway the night was good just very cold (no problem).
    Of course there where animals walking around and you could hear branches cracking but as far as I know there was no bear visit.
    IMG_2561 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, simi.d and 9 others like this.
  3. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Nice photo eye! I enjoy the fact, that you rode more of the TAT rather than by passes.
  4. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5th September
    Day 31

Final Day to the coast! It is going to be a long day.
    Day 31.png

The sun didn't make it to dry the tent early enough and it was cold.
    The route continues through the woods and up and down on the mountains. Thankfully as it was always warmer the higher I got.
    IMG_2564 test.jpg

At one stage I had to ride on paved road and bypass about 3 miles of the TAT as it was closed due to firefighting. Soon after being back on the TAT I came to this hard section. the road became smaller and rockier. The picture doesn't show it at all, but the road came around a corner and than a steep climb up.
    The pic is downhill. 1st attempt failed as I came on loose rocks. As I stoppend and applied the brakes I went downhill with the brakes on! Thankfully I didn't fall.
    Second time I knew which line to take and I made it up. No way I would have made this with a bigger bike. There are many roads through the woods but I wanted to follow the TAT. This section is on both Sams and gpsKevins route.
    IMG_2571 test.jpg

From here on it was no problem.
    IMG_2572 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, simi.d and 4 others like this.
  5. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shortly before Glendale I came out of the forest.
    IMG_2575 test.jpg

In Glendale the only Gas Station. It is located outside of Glendale and the host knows much about the TAT. He actually is a good source for road closure information.
    Refill for the bike and myself, a quick chat and I hit the road again. As there are forest fires around I have no Idea if I will make it to the coast today.
    IMG_2577 test.jpg

On the last stretch I followed the blue track of gpsKevin's route. The views are great and the road was good.
    IMG_2578 test.jpg IMG_2583 teset.jpg
  6. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I was on paved roads for a short time and than the smoke became thicker and blocked the sun so much that it felt like late in the afternoon.
    IMG_2585 test.jpg IMG_2588 test.jpg

In the beginning of Oregon I was surprised that there where not so many trees. Now I cannot say that anymore. Most of the afternoon the only view I had was trees.
    IMG_2592 test.jpg

Here is the goal of the day written on the sign!
    IMG_2593 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, MTBRALPH and 5 others like this.
  7. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem, but I should have been warned.
    IMG_2598 test.jpg

I have seen this section when looking for the TAT. This section with the fallen rocks is only on gpsKevin's route. And I wanted to see it.
    At the first corner where just a few rocks and an impressive view up.
    IMG_2601 test.jpg IMG_2603 test.jpg

And than the tricky part as expected. Do not fall! it is very steep on the right side.
    IMG_2605 test.jpg
  8. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_2607 test.jpg

And than the problems really started. Many trees have been down. I was still lucky as there have been riders through here before. Still struggeling.
    IMG_2612 test.jpg IMG_2619 test.jpg
    IMG_2620 test.jpg
    Gordon, trypod-AL, simi.d and 3 others like this.
  9. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But I made it. After passing the actually closed road section (there was a sign on the end of that part) it was not much left to the coast.
    IMG_2623 test.jpg

Final stretch mainly on paved road, and than I was at the destination.
    IMG_2627 test.jpg IMG_2630 test.jpg

I had planned to celebrate the completion of the TAT, but for what ever reason the restaurant on site was closed and so was the hotel I wanted to stay.
    The prices are high on the other options so it was camping again.
    IMG_2632 test.jpg

So here I am, have still time left, what shall I do now?
    My friend Ken, whos help was priceless to me, was at this time in North California on a bike trip. The following day I wanted to visit him and than maybe do the Idaho part of the TAT backwards.
    For all which are interested on Sams Idaho section of the TAT, stay tuned.
    For the rest, thanks for following. Hope you enjoyed.
  10. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Great report! I think there is a vid on "thetube" of a couple of guys who maybe did the bushwhacking for you along that last stretch with all the downed trees in Oregon... 2 guys on a couple KLR's, they came to a road closed sign at the end of it as well. They were almost out of gas as well and ended up pushing the bikes a lot of the way to save fuel!
  11. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I for one enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to do a RR.
  12. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report! Keep going, I'm in
    Ladybug likes this.
  13. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations, really enjoyed following along and will stayed tuned for Idaho.
  14. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report and pictures. I find myself very frustrated with all your flats. I never had a single flat when I rode the trail.

With the frequency of them, to me, you had to have had something else going on. The chronic diagnostician in me makes me want to know.

Curious..........Besides the possibility of you pinching a tube during install........
    Did you run your hand around the "inside" the of tires to be sure there were no thorns that kept damaging the tubes.
    Did you check for spokes sticking up too high inside the rim? Were you running a rim strip?
    Did you check for any metal burrs within the rim, caused by your tire tools, that could be damaging the tube?
    Are you running rim locks on both rims?

Curious to know what kind of damage to the tubes you kept finding.

And I'm guessing you were running any sealant in the tubes?
  15. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Great ride and great ride report!
  16. Dano990

Dano990 Ramming speeeeed!

Oddometer:
    Great ride report @MotoPet!!!
    This is my dream ride!
  17. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have seen this vid afterwards.
    I have to thank them for all the hard work. If they would not have done this I would have need to turn around.
    Thankfully fuel was not an issue for me.

I'm not sur if it is allowed to post links to youtube, so I don't. But for all who are interested on the guys struggle I post the title. That should make it easy to find.
    STRANDED IN THE OREGON WILDERNESS (WITH NO GAS) | Trans America Trail [ Episode 15 ]
    STILL STRANDED IN THE OREGON WILDERNESS... | Trans America Trail [ Episode 16 ]
  18. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm pretty sure that the main contributor to the flats have been the age of the tubes and the poor performance from me.
    I did check the inside of the tire and there was nothing, although I noticed that the TKC 80 has a very thin wall. Also the rim
    and the rim band
    was good.
    After installing a brand new tube the issues where gone.

The only rear flat was due to a small nail I picked up on the road. So just bad luck on that one.

No rim locks used.
    trypod-AL, joenuclear and i4bikes like this.
  19. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond. Supporter

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Fantastic RR. Thanks for the info and the effort!
  20. MotoPet

MotoPet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6th, 7th September
    Day 32-33

These two days have been just to visit my friend in Eureka. Enjoyed a nice dinner and than head towards Crescent (Oregon).
    Crescent is the town where the New Idaho part of Sams TAT route is joining the Old route on the way to Port Orford.

I didn't make it all the way and had to stop just past Medford. The amount of smoke in the air was unbelievable due to all the forest fires.
    On the way it showed again how small the difference between loosing all and have no issue, as there where houses surrounded by burned trees, but the houses have been not damaged.

I stayed in the Valley of the Rouge State Park. It was fully booked (not all showed up) but a kind family shared their sport with me.

8th September
    Day 34

Passing through Crescent to be finally on the new route.
    Day 34.png

First the road is as I have already seen. Forest but sandy roads. But than it runs through the Newberry Volcanic National Monument.
    I have never heard about these two lakes. Very nice. The Route leads out in the back where is no toll station.
    IMG_2684-86.jpg

Just east of the lake I saw a mountain with a road climbing up by circling around. So I thought there must be a great view from top.
    No it was not. So you have to be satisfied with the pic below. Still a nice view with all the trees.
    IMG_2687 test.jpg

The rout turns north and after some time into a valley.
    IMG_2695 test.jpg
    trypod-AL, DCrider and SLUGGO like this.