TAT on an XT250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AT Blizzard, Jun 28, 2017.

1. AT Blizzard

AT Blizzard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aftermath:

XT250 bonding time in a well equipped work/project garage with fabricating capability... :D

IMG_2077.JPG
    My little project corner feels like a luxury accommodation -- from the trail and parking lot maintenance sites that I had become accustomed to, while living on-the-road.
  2. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    But it's a DRY Heat..... [like an oven].
    AT Blizzard, cliffb and i4bikes like this.
  3. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Well done. Thanks for the RR.
    i4bikes and AT Blizzard like this.
  4. Kevin K

Kevin K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm just so impressed with your ride. You took maybe 1/3 the gear of most adventurers, did it on a darn XT250 and by yourself.And had a great time!
    kojack06 and AT Blizzard like this.
  5. Frazbmw

Frazbmw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap I hated for the story to end. Gives me hope my XT225 can make this trip some day.
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  6. AT Blizzard

Oddometer:

I thoroughly enjoyed this review. :-)
    not2old and Frazbmw like this.
  7. Alfred_Bham

Alfred_Bham Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    GREAT RR!! Just read through it tonight!! A close friend of mine just bought a 2018 XT250 & is "setting it up" for riding around the N. GA Forest Roads!!

Another friend has done (approx) 35,000miles on his XT on the first part of his RTW trip.

Here's his blog: www.2ridetheglobe.com

Little bikes seem to do real well on these type of adventures!! I have a Honda CRF250L & wouldn't hesitate taking it on anything I've read about on the TAT!!

Thanks!!
    kojack06 and AT Blizzard like this.
  8. AT Blizzard

Oddometer:
    My Yamaha dealer showed me your friend's blog; and I used it as a reference -- it was very helpful!
    Alfred_Bham likes this.
  9. Dr. Zombo

Dr. Zombo I need a bike ...

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic RR. After a serious accident on my DRZ-400, I've been off the bikes for awhile, but itching to ride again - Looks like a XT250 is on my short list. Thanks for sharing!
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  10. advantagecp

advantagecp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! I enjoyed it.

I was on the AT when you started this ride. I only hiked 1150 miles of it this year, but I am a lot heavier and probably a lot older than you. Some day I will probably ride the TAT to western Arkansas, as an adventure trip to visit the area where I grew up.
    Repoman87 and AT Blizzard like this.
  11. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Late to the party on your RR, but BRAVO!!! As the rest of the chorus, I'm planning on the TAT in the not too distant future and was contemplating a smaller bike. Your RR confirms my inclinations.

Thanks for sharing.
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  12. Tuffstreet

Tuffstreet n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm an average rider and love my xt250. I rode the Arkansas 500 this year on it and it did great and I went down a time or 2. I wish it had a bigger tank. I am going to ride the TAT next summer on it solo and this RR was a true blessing for me. I am confident in riding first half through OK then I'm a bit nervous on CO and beyond. Would you do it with just roll charts and paper maps? I don't have gps as of yet is it a must have?

It doesn't matter how big or nice a bike you have if you don't ride it.
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  13. AT Blizzard

Oddometer:
    Excellent! I hope you enjoy the challenge of preparing for and executing your upcoming TAT adventure!

===

I purchased the tracks, maps, and roll charts.

On-the-move, I was not comfortable with roll charts -- so I got rid of them. All those rolls packed away, along with another thing hanging off my handlebars -- and turning it while keeping pace was more of a distraction and hazard while I was adjusting to the trail. As far as crossing the North American continent using that "contraption" :D as a primary navigation tool -- I personally avoided it. But opinions vary, and I have met others who felt comfortable with roll charts, especially those that do events where roll charts are used extensively.

I also had the maps, and even though at first they did not seem that helpful -- they turned out to be very functional. However, my maps were only used during stops as I decided against using a tank bag/map holder -- and it would be another heads down distraction.

IF the Roll Charts and Maps were all I had -- then YES, I would adapt and deal with it to run the TAT.

Bottom Line for me -- I preferred the GPS with the tracks loaded as my Primary Nav tool, with Maps for back up. It is much easier for me to follow the tracks while riding and avoiding obstacles and staying oriented. I have navigated in many countries on land, sea, and air sometimes using only basic nav skills, and other times using professional electronic equipment/Nav systems -- so my TAT setup was in my comfort zone.

I had a GPS, maps (one pack for the East and one pack for the West), and an iPhone that I did not use for nav -- and I felt comfortable both day and night.

===

I look forward to your RR! :-)
    juno likes this.
  14. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    Outstanding Thanks
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  15. Pedersoli

Pedersoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a XT250 that I will never sell. Too many memories and happy trails. 1200 mile trip though the Alberta rockies.

Attached Files:

AT Blizzard likes this.
  16. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't need big bikes to have big adventures! Great ride report!
    norton73, juno and AT Blizzard like this.
  17. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you rode out on the TAT and mainly highway back to Georgia? Looks like you did it in about 30 days. If you didn't include your personal stops on the way home, how long was the total trip?

I would love to do this with my son when he graduates high school in 5 years so wondering what a reasonable time would be. Would consider shipping bikes back instead of riding back on roads. We live in Arkansas not 15 miles from where the TAT passes. I'm looking to get him an XT250 when he turns 14.
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  18. AT Blizzard

Oddometer:
    10 Jun (Day 0): North Georgia to Charleston, SC (~350 miles). This put me at Folly Beach, SC for the start of the TransContinental Journey.

11 Jun - 10 Jul: Charleston, SC to Port Orford, OR (6,000 miles). Sam's Tracks on the TAT with extra miles here and there.

11 Jul - 12 Aug: Return Trip with visit to Southern California to visit relatives and friends for a couple of weeks. ~4,350 miles mostly on paved roads.

Question: If you didn't include your personal stops on the way home, how long was the total trip?
    Answer: It is about 2,800 miles on paved roads back to my home in North Georgia from Port Orford, OR according to my trip planner. I would avoid Interstates on my XT250 where I had suitable alternatives, and attempt to average 300 miles a day. So, factoring in another 200 miles to reroute away from Interstates like I-80 or I-70, and with a one day rest during the return journey, would make it about an 11 day return trip.
    2,800 + 200 = 3,000 miles / 300 = 10 days with 1 day of rest = 11 days.

Caveat: that's how I would approach it -- but having a tent, tools, and a credit card goes along way for being adaptable when I'm living on the road.

I hope this helps. :-)
    scridercoach and ArkieRider like this.
  19. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    I too am planning on doing this with my son when he gets his license (a little less than two years from now) and I happen to live just outside of Charleston, SC. I've been giving it some thought. I don't see doing the return on regular roads, especially after having my son's first really big ride completed and the ensuing "exhaustion" so to speak. Then when you add in he will have a lack of overall "real" road experience. The TAT will be great, but it won't involve a lot of "standard" traffic, so I'm a bit wary of having him ride in that kind of traffic on the way back for such a long distance. At this point, I'm budgeting for shipping the bikes back and contemplating taking Amtrak back for a leisurely based return.
    AT Blizzard and ArkieRider like this.
  20. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know how I missed this a few months ago. A really good read. :drink
    AT Blizzard likes this.