TAT on an XT250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AT Blizzard, Jun 28, 2017.

1. ruans187

ruans187 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi AT Blizzard,
    Great RR
    ; I had to ask the question because always wonder why are guys buying tires on the TAT. Did you start with new tires? I just don't see how you going to wear out tires in + or - 15 days?

Thanks man

AT Blizzard likes this.
  2. AT Blizzard

AT Blizzard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    TAT Tire Plan

1. Run Eastern side of TAT to Colorado with T63 tires;
    2. Mount fresh aggressive tires (MT-21/D606) for the Rocky Mountain climbs, deserts of Utah and Nevada, and mountains of the NorthWestern TAT to finish.

Final Tally for entire trip: 10,700 miles -- two sets of tires.

=== Tire History ===

Spring 2015 -- New XT250:
    Bridgestone TW 301/302 (lasted 6,200)

Spring 2017 mounted (before starting TAT trip):
    Front -- Michelin T63 (lasted 5,000) Front was good at Trinidad, CO and since I couldn't find my preferred Pirelli MT-21 on the Eastern side of the Rockies, I replaced this tire when I arrived at MadBros in Moab, UT.
    Rear -- Michelin T63 (lasted 4,250) Made it to Trinidad, CO -- it was worn out. My plan was in motion with RMATV shipping me new tires, but execution did not work out -- so I called an audible and headed for Pueblo, CO for a new rear D606 tire.

June 2017 mounted:
    Rear (Pueblo, CO)-- Dunlop D606 (lasted 7,350)
    Front (Moab, UT) -- Pirelli MT-21 (lasted 6,600)
    Note: These tires also brought me back to North Georgia.

August 2017 mounted:
    Front -- TKC 80
    Rear -- TKC 80
    black top bob and Downeyman like this.
  3. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scott at the Three Step Hideaway in La Sal UT will let you ship your tires to his place. He lets you use his shop to change them there.

The accomodations are great so it’s a good mid trip location for a break.

http://www.3stephideaway.com/
    black top bob, rbrhsv, TaZ9 and 2 others like this.
  4. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    just found your report.......great ride man, my hats off to you doing it on an entry level bike, I would love to do it on my Sherpa one day.
    i4bikes and AT Blizzard like this.
  5. FAW3

FAW3 Old wanderer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful RR! Really enjoyed it. Your detailed bike & gear discussion is a real bonus. Thanks for that too! Details like you have provided will help many a rider.

My DR200 has shown me the benefits of going small & light. These small bikes are amazing - once you look past the sales marketing saying that you need 1200cc's & a ton of gear for a real adventure.

[​IMG]
  6. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to have another report

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    black top bob and AT Blizzard like this.
  7. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you AT Blizzard for your fantastic RR. I just bought a 2014 XT 250 with only 714 miles, it's great to know what it's capable of. My question to you is I've been looking at those same Wolfman saddle bags you used in you cross country journey, did you mount them directly on the factory muffler heat shield or put something in between them to protect them from the heat?
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  8. AT Blizzard

AT Blizzard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I "lifted" the factory Heat Shield by using spacers between the Heat Shield and the Muffler for the two lower screws. I "floated the top" by not running the two top securing screws. I also added Heat Shielding Tape on the Heat Shield.

It worked for the TAT and my Overtime TAT ride through Nevada and Utah (I-15); BUT I didn't check the security of those two securing screws on my way to see family in SoCal -- and the Heat Shield departed my motorcycle on the Highway going thru Las Vegas. I was there for a few days, and when I woke up in Vegas (Day 2) it was attached, then I got on the Highway to go across town to the Yamaha Dealer and I heard something hit the road; when I came back around, it was nowhere to be found. The Yamaha dealer talked me into an FMF pipe -- saves weight, makes a nice sound, melts plastic... :doh

- Inmate DualSport Chic has the Genuine Yamaha Accessory "cage" over her exhaust. It would've been preferred to mate with my Yamaha Rack -- but I couldn't find it.
    (4:04 on the video.)

- Happy Trails Rack System:
    http://www.happy-trail.com/find-your-bike/yamaha/xt250-08/sl-side-rack-xt250.html

- XT250 Thread:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...s-lets-see-them.403156/page-334#post-33991180

:D
  9. Bain Dramage

Bain Dramage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for a wonderful, and detailed RR, AT. I enjoyed reading it!
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Can you compare the pros and cons of the 15T vs the 16T both on road and off road? Thanks!
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  11. oprider

oprider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="- Inmate DualSport Chic has the Genuine Yamaha Accessory "cage" over her exhaust. It would've been preferred to mate with my Yamaha Rack -- but I couldn't find it.
    (4:04 on the video.)
    [/QUOTE]

Those look like they are available here: https://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=162
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  12. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond. Supporter

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Great RR. Very well done!
    AT Blizzard and Blumtnman like this.
  13. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    Man......there's someone local to me selling a '15 XT250.... after following this RR, I may do something my wife would call stupid. However, if and it's a big if, I'd rationalize it as a first (other than dirt) bike for my son..... My gears are spinning.
    i4bikes and randypower like this.
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  15. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    An XT250 would be an excellent choice for your wife or son to ride along with you, on your CRF230F, but since it's street legal, you may find yourself riding it most. Next, you might decide to pick up a KLX250, CRF250L, or WR250R, for yourself.

There's a large thread on the XT250s here:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/where-are-your-xt250s-lets-see-them.403156/
    scridercoach likes this.
  16. Kee

Kee Darn ADV

Oddometer:
    So it took me a while to read all the RR, but thank you so much for your input (from everyone's input). Me and 2 others starting our first ride on XT250 and looking forward to some new adventures. Your breakdown of rides and equipment was detailed, informative and helpful.
  17. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond. Supporter

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Very thorough, easy to read ride report. Great photos!
    i4bikes likes this.
  18. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR! I completed the first section of the TAT (to my home to Arkansas) on a heavy Wee-Strom DL650. You could ride over half the route on a Harley!
    I completed the western sections on a WR250R and NEVER wished for a bigger bike. Your XT250 was perfect for you, but I am 6-feet with a 34-inch inseam and it didn't fit me as well. Although, if I was to do the TAT again, I might choose the XT250 because the VERY tall WR250R is a real ball buster!
    [​IMG]
    The best part of your RR was the confirmation that you can pack light. I rode with a few others that were WAY overloaded. We split up after the first day and they were days behind very shortly. I carried more than you did, but much of it was cooking and camping gear.
    Singlespeed92 and Proud Highway like this.
  19. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Blizzard, did you ride Black Dragon Canyon, just West out of Moab?
  20. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Blizzard, did you ride Black Dragon Canyon, just West of Moab?